WPA-PSK and laptop access problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hi,

I have a D-link di-624 and I've been using it for a while using the WPA-PSK
with a desktop using a D-link DWL-G520 wireless network card! I just got a
laptop that has a built in Broadcom 802.11g wireless card. The laptop won't
connect to the router if using the WPA-PSK encryption, it takes almost 2
minutes to get the IP address and then shows, "limited or no connectivity"!
Switching the encryption to WEP, the laptop connects with no problems! I
called D-link but they said that they don't support WPA and if I want to use
it I should figure it out myself!!

The laptop has SP2 installed and all the latest updates from Microsoft and
the Broadcom card has the latest driver as well! I hope that someone can
help me out! I really want to use the WPA if I can! Thank you very much.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: (More info?)

hi

i have a d-link 624 router using wpa-psk , i have a acer aspire 3002lci with
a broadcom 802.11g that has the same problem your having. i used a d-link
dwl-650 pcmcia card from my other laptop that didn't experience this problem
to set up a second wireless connection on the acer laptop after i installed
the drivers it connected up , so i tried the broadcom wireless connection and
it started to work
dont know if this will be a permanent fix , but its working now.hope this
helps you

"Lisa" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a D-link di-624 and I've been using it for a while using the WPA-PSK
> with a desktop using a D-link DWL-G520 wireless network card! I just got a
> laptop that has a built in Broadcom 802.11g wireless card. The laptop won't
> connect to the router if using the WPA-PSK encryption, it takes almost 2
> minutes to get the IP address and then shows, "limited or no connectivity"!
> Switching the encryption to WEP, the laptop connects with no problems! I
> called D-link but they said that they don't support WPA and if I want to use
> it I should figure it out myself!!
>
> The laptop has SP2 installed and all the latest updates from Microsoft and
> the Broadcom card has the latest driver as well! I hope that someone can
> help me out! I really want to use the WPA if I can! Thank you very much.

Mac

Archived from groups: (More info?)

It does work fine with the D-link card in the PC as I mentioned, so you are
right it is compatible with other d-link products! Unfrotuantly, I don't
have a d-link pcmcia card to fix whatever is wrong or missing in the laptop
like you did! I am not going to go out and buy one to get the laptop to work
with wpa-psk, it is just not worth it!

It should be a little thing in there that needs tweaking and I am sure
D-link know all about it but for some reason they refuse to support wpa at
the moment! I hope someone here figured it out and would share it with me.
Thanks again!

"john" <john@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi
>
> i have a d-link 624 router using wpa-psk , i have a acer aspire 3002lci
> with
> a broadcom 802.11g that has the same problem your having. i used a d-link
> dwl-650 pcmcia card from my other laptop that didn't experience this
> problem
> to set up a second wireless connection on the acer laptop after i
> installed
> the drivers it connected up , so i tried the broadcom wireless connection
> and
> it started to work
> dont know if this will be a permanent fix , but its working now.hope this
> helps you
>

> "Lisa" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a D-link di-624 and I've been using it for a while using the
>> WPA-PSK
>> with a desktop using a D-link DWL-G520 wireless network card! I just got
>> laptop that has a built in Broadcom 802.11g wireless card. The laptop
>> won't
>> connect to the router if using the WPA-PSK encryption, it takes almost 2
>> minutes to get the IP address and then shows, "limited or no
>> connectivity"!
>> Switching the encryption to WEP, the laptop connects with no problems! I
>> called D-link but they said that they don't support WPA and if I want to
>> use
>> it I should figure it out myself!!
>>
>> The laptop has SP2 installed and all the latest updates from Microsoft
>> and
>> the Broadcom card has the latest driver as well! I hope that someone can
>> help me out! I really want to use the WPA if I can! Thank you very much.

Jackal

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
d-link ap/router works fine with its own kind... i had the same problem... so i did this 2 solve the problem...

setup ur laptop or desktop wireless connectivity 1st i.e put in the wpa passphrase or wep key etc etc etc

use the rj45 cable n connect 1 of ur pc/laptop to the d-link ap/router

get into the router setup n change the wpa or wep thingy same as wht u have setup on ur laptop/pc previously

thn it should automatically connect

it works with me... maybe u can try tht

8)

giobytes

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
I tired that method , and hooked in my network cable , and then hit repair for the wireless, it did work even when i disconnected the cable the laptop was still connected to the internet...BTW I have the same problem like the rest of you.. the only thing is that if you reboot the laptop , you lose the connection and would have to hook up the cable again. :(

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
On rare occasions Iv'e seen that the number of chr used in the wpa pass phrase cause the problem. Start with 8 chr test, should work with no problem. Then add 2 at a time. I think I fould the limit at 28 to 31 chr. Some of the older ones use only A-Z a-z 0-9, no !@#$%^&

I hope this will help.

DigitalDude

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
I also use the DI-624 with a Broadcom 802.11g nic in my HP laptop.
It would connect, mostly, and then not go anywhere.
HP did replace the card, and it was bad, but still didn't work after I got it back.

I was also using WPA-TKIP.

I temporarily turned off security and it works 100%.
WEP was also fine.
So I went back to WPA, but this time selected AES as the cipher type.
Seems to connect and stay connected with proper throughput.

BTW my f/w is 2.76 on a C version router.

I was almost prepared to go buy a new router, N maybe, but then I remember this acted the same my with an HTPC with D-Links PCI wireless nic as well, so I figured it had something to do with the AP.

All I can suggest is try the various combinations.

Oh Yea, I also turned off Super G.

I'll try some more experimenting, but at least it works, has reasonable speed and is somewhat secured.

So start with nothing and add more layers until it breaks, then back it off a notch.

Good Luck! :D

how do u find ur wpa-psk(tkip) code for ur psp so u can connect bto the internet