Can You Have Both XP and 2k on One PC?

Can you have a dual boot ......windows 2k pro or server And Windows XP?
If so, is there any precautions I should take before installing Windows XP?

Thank you very much
6 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Yes you can, I didn't have to take any special precautions, in fact I have
    win xp, win 2k pro and win 98 on one 80gb drive. I used Partiton Magic to
    create it.

    "mike" wrote:

    > Can you have a dual boot ......windows 2k pro or server And Windows XP?
    > If so, is there any precautions I should take before installing Windows XP?
    >
    > Thank you very much

    Hi,

    Sure, see this link:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_2k.htm

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    mike wrote:
    > Can you have a dual boot ......windows 2k pro or server And Windows XP?
    > If so, is there any precautions I should take before installing Windows XP?
    >
    > Thank you very much

    Install each OS onto its own partition.

    Multibooting with Windows 2000 and Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/administration/management/mltiboot.asp

    Multibooting with Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gettingstarted/multiboot.asp

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Rick, the example you've given is for how to install win2k After Installing
    XP.

    I already have win2k installed............and now I need to install XP so as
    to have both of them on my pc.

    Thank you very much

    mike

    > Hi,
    >
    > Sure, see this link:
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_2k.htm
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "mike" <mike2002am@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Can you have a dual boot ......windows 2k pro or server And Windows XP?
    > > If so, is there any precautions I should take before installing Windows
    > > XP?
    > >
    > > Thank you very much

    If you have a second hard drive (or partition), boot from the WinXP CD and,
    when given the choice, choose new installation (not upgrade) and direct it
    to the second drive/partition.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    > Rick, the example you've given is for how to install win2k After
    > Installing XP.
    >
    > I already have win2k installed............and now I need to install
    > XP so as to have both of them on my pc.
    >
    > Thank you very much
    >
    > mike

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Sure, see this link:
    >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_2k.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "mike" <mike2002am@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Can you have a dual boot ......windows 2k pro or server And Windows
    >>> XP? If so, is there any precautions I should take before installing
    >>> Windows XP?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you very much

    Hi Mike,

    That's even easier. Start Win2000, insert the WinXP disk and start setup.
    Choose a new installation, then direct it to install to a different
    partition or hard drive. Setup will create the dual boot for you.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "mike" <mike2002am@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Rick, the example you've given is for how to install win2k After
    > Installing
    > XP.
    >
    > I already have win2k installed............and now I need to install XP so
    > as
    > to have both of them on my pc.
    >
    > Thank you very much
    >
    > mike

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Sure, see this link:
    >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_2k.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "mike" <mike2002am@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > Can you have a dual boot ......windows 2k pro or server And Windows XP?
    >> > If so, is there any precautions I should take before installing Windows
    >> > XP?
    >> >
    >> > Thank you very much

Dual Boot Microsoft Windows XP