  • Dual Boot
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
November 28, 2004 2:51:59 AM

Can you have a dual boot ......windows 2k pro or server And Windows XP?
If so, is there any precautions I should take before installing Windows XP?

Thank you very much

More about : question

Anonymous
November 28, 2004 2:52:00 AM

Yes you can, I didn't have to take any special precautions, in fact I have
win xp, win 2k pro and win 98 on one 80gb drive. I used Partiton Magic to
create it.

"mike" wrote:

> Can you have a dual boot ......windows 2k pro or server And Windows XP?
> If so, is there any precautions I should take before installing Windows XP?
>
> Thank you very much

Anonymous
November 28, 2004 9:43:45 AM

Hi,

Sure, see this link:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_2k.htm

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"mike" <mike2002am@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Can you have a dual boot ......windows 2k pro or server And Windows XP?
> If so, is there any precautions I should take before installing Windows
> XP?
>
> Thank you very much

November 28, 2004 11:22:23 AM

mike wrote:
> Can you have a dual boot ......windows 2k pro or server And Windows XP?
> If so, is there any precautions I should take before installing Windows XP?
>
> Thank you very much

Install each OS onto its own partition.

Multibooting with Windows 2000 and Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/administr...

Multibooting with Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gett...

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
November 28, 2004 12:46:40 PM

Rick, the example you've given is for how to install win2k After Installing
XP.

I already have win2k installed............and now I need to install XP so as
to have both of them on my pc.

Thank you very much

mike

news:o 8z$G%23T1EHA.2572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> Sure, see this link:
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_2k.htm
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "mike" <mike2002am@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Can you have a dual boot ......windows 2k pro or server And Windows XP?
> > If so, is there any precautions I should take before installing Windows
> > XP?
> >
> > Thank you very much

Anonymous
November 28, 2004 4:43:11 PM

If you have a second hard drive (or partition), boot from the WinXP CD and,
when given the choice, choose new installation (not upgrade) and direct it
to the second drive/partition.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

> Rick, the example you've given is for how to install win2k After
> Installing XP.
>
> I already have win2k installed............and now I need to install
> XP so as to have both of them on my pc.
>
> Thank you very much
>
> mike

> news:o 8z$G%23T1EHA.2572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sure, see this link:
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_2k.htm
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "mike" <mike2002am@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Can you have a dual boot ......windows 2k pro or server And Windows
>>> XP? If so, is there any precautions I should take before installing
>>> Windows XP?
>>>
>>> Thank you very much
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 6:13:11 PM

Hi Mike,

That's even easier. Start Win2000, insert the WinXP disk and start setup.
Choose a new installation, then direct it to install to a different
partition or hard drive. Setup will create the dual boot for you.

--

!