Power Requirements for a 7600 GT

maguszxz

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I talked to a tech support doofus and he is telling that I have a 300W. I really want to get a new video card. My dream card is a XFX Geforce 7600 GT. He says it needs 350W at least. Anybody have this card. I really need some help.

That sounds about right your tech support dufus may not be a dufus after all why don't you go here and use the power supply calculator and see how close he was.

You might want to keep in mind that some of the guys here that help others are tech support helping others in their spare time. :wink:

maguszxz

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
That sounds about right your tech support dufus may not be a dufus after all why don't you go here and use the power supply calculator and see how close he was.

You might want to keep in mind that some of the guys here that help others are tech support helping others in their spare time. :wink:

I did the power supply calculater. It says I have 396W. I also have a dual core processor.

Click on the following topic for some info I recently provided to someone else to help you determine how much power your system uses.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/find-required-amps-ftopict204502.html

To keep it simple just concentrate on how much power is being drawn from the 12v rail.

1. Add up all the watts that the components draw from the 12v rail.
2. Divide the total watts by 12. That will give you the amps required.
3. Look at the sticker on the power supply and find the amps available on the 12 volt rail(s).
4. At a minimum the amps listed on the sticker should be 3 amps more than what you calculated. Merely as a safety measure.
5. If you plan on adding more components later then it's good to have at least an extra 5 amps instead of 3 amps.

maguszxz

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Ummmm, I dont get it. Math was never my strongest subject. What if I remove my PCI modem card. Would that help. The card it self takes up 75W

maguszxz

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
It's a crying shame when you have to buy a power supply along with to get a new video card. That's what pisses me off. Can't I just do some power management.

Unfortunately upgrades cost money, if you want to play you have to pay to get what you want, most brand name machines Dell, HP, Sony, Emachines, Etc., come with just barely enough of a P/S to run whats in them.

My last upgrading spree cost me $1,800.00, the only thing I reused was the Floppy Drive and Case, seems to me you're coming out light if all the additional money you have to spend is for a power supply.

If you don't have the money then don't do the upgrading, and wait until you do have the money, thats what I had to do.

maguszxz

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
It's really not about the money, and I can get a new power supply. It's mostly the principle behind. It's a pain in the butt. I have a X300 SE card that came with the computer. It was fun for a while but I want more. I can't build my monster yet, and I am tired of waiting for a upgrade. So I will buy the card try it anyway and then get a power supply if I need it. I will try removing the PCI modem and check the power wattage. Thanks for the advice everyone
but I am going with my gut on this one. Never failed me yet.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
It may or may not work, I didnt read anywhere which CPU you are running and the specs of your PSU (may have missed them). Hope your gut doesn't fail you, being the power supply may :p

Ummmm, I dont get it. Math was never my strongest subject. What if I remove my PCI modem card. Would that help. The card it self takes up 75W

I really, really doubt a PCI modem requires 75w of power. That would be more than many CPUs. If you are not using it at all then remove it.

Give me the following information:

1. CPU in your PC.
2. Your current video card.
3. How many hard drives and their capacity?
4. How many DVD/CD ROM Drives?

If possible open up your case and look at the sticker on the power supply. Hopefully it will looks something like this:

17-159-021-02.JPG

Look for the "+12V" under voltage. Notice underneath it states "15A" or 15 amps. Under that it states 180w.

Look at your sticker and let me know if you can get similar information.

My CPU is a Intel Pentuim D 820 2.8 Ghz
I have two DVD drives, TV tuner, X300 SE, 56k PCI modem, Onboard 5.1 sound.

OUCH!

Okay you need a to upgrade your power supply. A typical 300w PSU probably supplies 180w - 190w max on the 12v rail. Your Pentium D 820 draws 130.6w under load.

cons.png

That from the following www.xbitlabs.com article:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-x2-3800_3.html

Figure your two DVD drives uses 10w each or 20w total when idling.

Add in another 18w for your hard drive.

Take out the X300E video card which probably uses about 20w.

That comes out to 148w.

Adding 36w for the GeForce 7600GT and you have an estimated total of 184w. That's cutting it too close. As the tech support said you need at least a 350w power supply. If you decide to replace your hard drive then get at least a 450w PSU so that you will still have some headroom for future upgrades. Antec is a good namebrand.

maguszxz

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I really wasnt in the market for a new power supply. I bought an HP Media Center PC from Best Buy. I got a friend whose power supply died. I really want this card and I have dreaming about the sweet frame rates I would get. I can't afford to build a new pc right now. I am still paying for this pc, so alot of upgrades is just in the plan for right now. Yet, to go into upgrading the power supply to do it is still a pain when I am good with the PSU I got. Anyway might you could recommmend a video card that doesnt use alot of power. I am going to talk to my professors (oh yeah, I am a tech support too, that why I can smell when someone wants money instead of wanting to work on my computer) about the problem.

Torgo

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Do not forget, it is EXTREMELY important to check all the voltage outputs on the power supply like everyone has been saying.

For instance, I had a cheap-o $40 power supply I picked up in an emergency cause my old one had died. It was 420 watts. Problem was, it came with a total of 5 power connectors (4 molex, 1 floppy) and had a very anemic 16A on the critical 12V line. My old video card with this power supply was a GeForce 6600GT , and the old CPU was an Athlon 64 3000+ .... well needless to say everytime I played a game .. could be 2 minutes in or 10 minutes in, the thing shut itself down and reset the computer.

So I went online (yes, the exclusive Internet!) and read up a bit. The wattage matters of course, but it is not ALL that matters.

I ended up finding a Antec SmartPower 350W at BestBuy for like $35 on sale. Its a great power supply.... 25A on the 12V rails. Here is what it is running:

ABit KN8 Ultra
AMD X2 3800+
2 gig RAM
2x 160 gig Samsung HDD's in RAID 1
eVGA 7600 GT KO
Plextor DVD RW
Toshiba DVD ROM

Like I said, great power supply. Its prob nearing its limit now, but seems to be doing fine and I play Star Wars Galaxies and Battlefield 2 with it pretty often.

Check it out here, it may fit the bill.

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=26350

(sorry if that link isnt clickable, I hate html)

Torgo
The Master Would Approve!

maguszxz

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Hmmm, ok. I am going to wait for awhile beforce I do any upgrading of anything. I going to pay this off and then look into upgrading to keep up for the future. My X300 SE is capable for a while. I dont do a lot of heavy gaming and I am satisfied with the frames. But I wont be playing that Company of Heroes (the sole reason I was getting a new card anyway) for a while.) This will give me a chance to brush up on power supplies. Being that I am a tech support dude myself I can always learn something new. I will get my PSU from Best Buy when I am ready. That way I can strangle a live person instead of a server, lol.