Is 62C a good temp when running E6600 at 363 FSB?

Is 62C core temp high?

• Yes

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • No

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • 62C? Mine runs at 100C!

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

CSRookie

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2004
I got Gigabyte-DS3, E6600, 2G of OCZ Gold 800Mhz (2nd pair, first pair didn't work), Koolance PC2 water cool case. Over the weekend I start trying to overclock my system, wanted to see how far it can go. Vcore was set at 1.4v and after hours of bummping up FSB and running Prime95, I got tired at FSB 363 X9 multipler. It was really stable, ran two instance of prime95 for like an hour and half, at this time Core Temp reprts both of the cores peaked at 62C. Is this normal, or should I be concern with this high temp? I am already using artic silver 5.

Nedkt

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I got Gigabyte-DS3, E6600, 2G of OCZ Gold 800Mhz (2nd pair, first pair didn't work), Koolance PC2 water cool case. Over the weekend I start trying to overclock my system, wanted to see how far it can go. Vcore was set at 1.4v and after hours of bummping up FSB and running Prime95, I got tired at FSB 363 X9 multipler. It was really stable, ran two instance of prime95 for like an hour and half, at this time Core Temp reprts both of the cores peaked at 62C. Is this normal, or should I be concern with this high temp? I am already using artic silver 5.

I get between 58 and 60 on dual prime or orthos running a 6600 to 3.6 gig/400 FSB with 1.5125 vCore set in BIOS and 1.55 VCore actual due to board overvolt...and I am on air. A water cooled system should be significantly less than that temp-wise.

What are you using to measure the temp? Some utilities can measure high. I use CoreTemp. It seems generally trusted.

It seems to me like you need to try remounting your CPU water block and/or look at the flow in your water loop.

peetul83

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
I have the same board and had the same problem. In fact I had to RMA both my cpu and mobo for a replacement. When the replacement came, I had the exact same problem AGAIN. There are certainly issues with the thermal sensors for these boards. Try touching the heatsink when it is on and see how it feels. My cpu was running 50 degrees idle with stock heatsink and it felt lukewarm to touch. As of now I have installed the Scythe Mine and am currently running an E6300 @ 3.0 Ghz (44 idle / 56 load).

CSRookie

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2004
I measured it with Core Temp. My guess is the koolance water block spacer, it is a huge copper disc. I think I will try without the spacer or re-apply the thermal paste.

Koolance 775 ATX Spacer

Koolance usually doesn't include manual with the adaptors. They really need to change that pratice. When I was installing my old AMD64 adaptor I had to quess how to install it. I assumed the same for this adaptor, but turns out this adaptor has a install manual online. I may able to do without the spacer and improve my temp.

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
try annother temperature reading program, there seems (rumors?)to b problems with using coretemp and some other temp reading programs when using core 2 duo. I believe it's due to the use of digital sensors in the core, unlike using analog thermometers, and the ammount of sensors in the core. :)