D975XBX OC RAM and CPU ???

captandy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Firstly I love my new rig just built it last week but want to know a few things on how to OC the cpu if possible w/o modifications to the mobo and given my RAM am I being too conservative on the OC.Here are the specs ...

THERMALTAKE TSUNAMI
ANTEC TRUE POWER2 550W
INTEL D975XBX MOBO
INTEL C2DUO E6600
ZALMAN ULTRA QUIET COOLER CNPS9500
WD SATA2 160G CAVIAR
WD SATA 150G RAPTOR 10K (DEDICATED FS)
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB PC6400 5-5-5-12
Klipsch Pro-Media 2.1
Saitek X45

What I am changing from the default BIOS using Intel's Desktop Control Center :
Mem Freq 800Mhz Same
Ram set to 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1Volts
IGD aperture size is now 256MB

Bus:
PCI latency is now 128
FSB 2.0% which gives me FSB 1088 and 816 on the Memory.I have tried to bump this up to 4 and 6% and I got booted.

CPU is there a way to OC this w/o modding the board ??If not I hoe Intel addresses this with the next BIOS rev....My last ASUS was such a breeze in OC ing the CPU.

Thanks
Andy

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Intel board are known for unoverclockable board. It doesn't provide any facilities in BIOS for overclocking like Asus one.
You can try on-the-fly overclocking software, if you like.

If you can set the PCI latency to 64 or 32, it'll be better.

captandy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Thanks that link did not direct me too anything regarding OCing this MOBO.I probably should leave well enough alone .I see Intel's point of view regarding OCing in general since they dont want their switchboard lit up due to damaged boards and or CPUs.

Andy

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
he didn't link anything to regarding on how to oc your mobo, that was an ad link, and even though your board is an intel it has a great chipset, with good ram and a good cpu, all of which should and will be able to overclock very easily...

captandy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Well please give me some insight on how to alter the CPU given the specs I listed.The BIOS will only alter the FSB and RAM timings plus voltages for RAM.The only thing I read up was actually modifications to the board itself which I will not do.I was hoping for a Windows based GUI or a BIOS created by someone to OC this mobo.

Thanks

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
upping the FSB overclocks the cpu and then depending on what multiplier you have will result in your total speed...so FSBxmultiplier=X.XXGhz,

from the sounds of it if i were you i would read up around the forums and refer to wusy's Core 2 Duo overclocking guide, its stickied in the Overclocking-->CPU section, this will provide insight on what you should do...

captandy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
upping the FSB overclocks the cpu and then depending on what multiplier you have will result in your total speed...so FSBxmultiplier=X.XXGhz,

from the sounds of it if i were you i would read up around the forums and refer to wusy's Core 2 Duo overclocking guide, its stickied in the Overclocking-->CPU section, this will provide insight on what you should do...

I have read somewhere what the multiplier was and as I stated above I have tried to bump up the FSB but system got unstable.Wusy's states that his V1.2 will deal with this board,since V1.1 did not.My old ASUS P4 system had a CPU OC in the BIOS so you could just say add 10% to the Freq of the default CPU CLOCK That was it.I guess I was looking for something simplifeid such as that ASUS BIOS in this setup.

Thanks
Andy

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
once you up the FSB you must up the voltage to your CPU and ram, if they dont have enough power to run at the higher speed it will get unstable so make sure you up the voltage too

Also from the looks of it you have 5-5-5-12 ram but are running it at 4-4-4-12, back these timings off to 5-5-5-12 until you are finished overclocking the FSB, once you do that and you realize your finaly FSB that will give what your ram is running at, then you will be able to figure out whether you can tighten the timings or not

TRENDING THREADS