About Corsair xms2

dxbboy77

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
It's both the same ram except the XMS2 Pro Series has that bigger aluminum heatsink and activity indicator leds that flashes. I have them Pro series and it's purely asthetics. The regular XMS2 does work the same except for the fancy stuff it's Pro counterpart has.

dxbboy77

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
It's both the same ram except the XMS2 Pro Series has that bigger aluminum heatsink and activity indicator leds that flashes. I have them Pro series and it's purely asthetics. The regular XMS2 does work the same except for the fancy stuff it's Pro counterpart has.

thx a lot Chuckshissle

when you work at your pc and play a Heavy game

is the ram hot ??

then what's is mean T2 in the XMS2 Pro ??

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Yeah, my rams get hot really well at gaming. My rig is also overclocked so that contributes a bit more heat to the rams. I even place some zalman micro heatsinks of them rams to help the cooling more and I directed a 90mm fan from above and blowing down air to it, maintaining the temps to a 35c-40c at all times. But if you don't overclock then you don't need to worry about the rams temps unless if it's really hot inside the case or your room.

dxbboy77

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Yeah, my rams get hot really well at gaming. My rig is also overclocked so that contributes a bit more heat to the rams. I even place some zalman micro heatsinks of them rams to help the cooling more and I directed a 90mm fan from above and blowing down air to it, maintaining the temps to a 35c-40c at all times. But if you don't overclock then you don't need to worry about the rams temps unless if it's really hot inside the case or your room.

i need the ram for gaming and work only and not for overclocking ..!!

My room is Cool Around 20-24
and i have Armor case

so you Advizes me to buy the 1st one ??

and i want to ask you
in the 1st ram in Newegg website

i find this : Buffered/Registered: Unbuffered

what is mean ??

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
If you're intor gaming and other work related applications then you can get them value rams, like Corsair ValueSelect rams. That should be good enough for you, as I have tried this with my system before. Getting the XMS2 rams over the ValueSelect rams will give a little improvement in gaming. So the XMS2 are highly advise to be use only for overclocking as I am using right now.

So if you're not into overclocking, then a 2x1Gb of Corsair or any compatible value rams would be good for you. Don't get them XMS2 for non-overclocking for it only gives a few increase, unlesss overclocking.

ECC Registered RAM is not usually known in the consumer or computer-enthusiast division. ECC Registered RAM is a special type of RAM reserved for server or workstation systems. For a desktop or laptop PC, regular unbuffered RAM (or just RAM) is the norm.

So what is the difference between regular RAM (unbuffered) and ECC Registered RAM?

First of all, ECC stands for Error Checking and Correcting. This means that the ECC RAM module can detect and correct any errors found during processing, be it single-bit or multi-bit. In a processing cycle, the computer fetches data (or instruction), interprets it, executes and then stores information in the memory. During this process, soft errors normally occur. (Why does your computer suddenly freeze or hang and requires a reboot?) ECC RAM is capable of checking and correcting any of these errors. For a server system that is kept online 24/7, this is very important.

Second, Registered RAM has extra chips that collect and buffer address or control signals from the chipset (motherboard). In other words, the memory controller does not see the chips in each DIMM slot; it only sees the register. This in turn will lighten the load on the control module.

In contrast, in an unbuffered RAM module, the address and control signals go directly to every RAM chip; the chipset actually "sees" the entire RAM, spread across the memory bank. Some argue that unbuffered RAMs provide a faster access, because data transport does not have to wait until the end of each cycle. Some believe to the contrary.

Actually, back to the Registered RAM, because of the decrease in the load, the chipset in the motherboard is able to access and send address or control signals much more quickly and remain stable.

Just a side note: Some systems only require Registered RAM and some ECC RAM. Nowadays, these two features come in one package. Therefore, if you buy Registered RAM, it is likely that you get ECC and Registered features.

Again, ECC-registered rams is mainly used in servers and other mission critical applications for security and stability. For regular and gaming rams are non-ECC unregistered rams for faster performance.