Sign in with
Your question

Who's The New King Of The Hill? Zalman 9700 or Scythe Mine?

Last response: in Overclocking
October 13, 2006 9:23:33 AM

Title sez it all.

I haven't seen a review comparing the two. I'd think that the Scythe would smoke the new Zalman, especially if the former is fitted with a 140mm!
October 13, 2006 3:30:11 PM

i had the zalman in my amd rig and was not impressed. i should of went with the xp90
October 13, 2006 6:18:55 PM

Quote:
You might just see a comparison involving CNPS9700 TT Big Typhoon and a few others on the web somewhere when it's released...

Quote:
i had the zalman in my amd rig and was not impressed. i should of went with the xp90

:?:
October 13, 2006 6:36:54 PM

It's in German, but....link.

Notice that the CNPS9700 leads but look at the fan speeds and noise compared to the rest, specifically the Ninja. If Zalman continues it current pricing strategy and even with the insane prices on the new Ninja Plus Rev. B, the Ninja Plus still looks like the more efficient solution.

Another quality product from Zalman?[/sarcasm]

On a good note, it appears the original Ninja Plus (same as Rev. B just includes an AM2 bracket, I believe) is back in stock for it's original price of $39.99 at Heatsinkfactory. That makes it the best value for AMD (except AM2) and Intel setups.
October 13, 2006 7:10:44 PM

It's a shame that Tom's Hardware hasn't done an extensive heatsink/fan review lately. I really enjoyed those articles when heating became such a critical issue with Tom's 1st video on the Athlon frying.

The last one I saw was done in April, here. It's not like this one that was written over 3.5 years ago.

Do you know if any will be around the bend?
October 13, 2006 7:25:11 PM

Shouldn't King of the hill honors go to Tuniq Tower... hands down?

Maybe even scythe ninja or infinity right behind it, but I don't see Zalman anywhere near that list... especially with the price.
October 13, 2006 7:29:35 PM

all the talk about the tuniq tower has been good on its behalf, but its hard to find.
October 13, 2006 7:55:32 PM

WE CALL ON TOM'S HARDWARE TO DO A REVIEW, DOOOOO A REVIEW!

Seriously, that would be great. I went with the Thermalright Ultra 120 after reading the Mad Shrimps/Frozen CPU review. Kicks ass. Yet to be confirmed though on my part. I will post my results on Monday (some weekend work lies ahead).

I'm depressed about my temps. My CPU was idleing this morning at 65C. Granted my heating in the house was on, but still, something is screwed up big time. Those of you who know me, knows its been getting worse.

Check out the Thermalright Ultra 120. Great cooling (about the same as the Ninja), and just smaller.
October 13, 2006 8:25:56 PM

one of you heatsink pins to the board probably came loose, it happend to me on my initial build. before going to water with the stock hs i had the same temp then i realized the hs wasnt grabbing firmly. you should check yours.
October 13, 2006 8:29:10 PM

Will it do any damage to the CPU at these temps? Is this bad? Also, I have a severe lagging problem with opening programs, and starting up windows. Takes forever. Could temps be the cause? I recently installed an IDE drive, but never considered the temps as a possible cause of my lagging problem.
October 13, 2006 10:21:35 PM

it could cause damage if not corrected. i'm not sure whats causing your system to lag it might be the temperature. what program are u using to read your temperature. you should try coretemp its a pretty good program. if your system is idling at 60c there is some thing wrong, check the heat sink and fan. the max temp listed for core 2 duo is 60c.
October 13, 2006 10:44:46 PM

The Noctua NH-U12 or something like that gets temps very slightly better than the Tuniq Tower 120. (Maybe 1-2 degrees) Both are great coolers.

~Ibrahim~
October 13, 2006 10:46:41 PM

does the noctua look as cool as the tuniq
October 13, 2006 10:53:03 PM

Similar.

~Ibrahim~
October 13, 2006 10:57:59 PM

It resembles the Ultra120 a little, but without all the nickel plating. Noctura is coming out with a new revision of the U12 (NH-U12F), doesn't seem like the heatsink has changed (maybe just the mounting setup) but they are including their own fan now. Should be interesting to see how this fan performs.
October 13, 2006 11:06:25 PM

There is a review already...I think it was at Bjorn3D...Or ExtremeTech.

~Ibrahim~
October 14, 2006 12:42:29 AM

Doh! You are correct. That's where I saw it, I couldn't remember off hand if it was a review or just a preview with pics. The fan looks a bit different compared to where most companies seems to be going. And it did pretty good. I've never heard the Scythe fan though so I can't compare what the reviewer said about the Noctua fan from experience. And it does look like the updated the mounting scheme for the better. Now it looks like on any platform it can be oriented to point towards the exhaust fan instead of above.
October 14, 2006 4:44:13 AM

Quote:
The Noctua NH-U12 or something like that gets temps very slightly better than the Tuniq Tower 120. (Maybe 1-2 degrees) Both are great coolers.

I'd have more luck scoring crack in a monastery than finding either one of these coolers. I've spent hours trying to track them down. It seems that in Europe they are unobtainium at any price!
October 14, 2006 7:09:48 AM

Agreed. I cannot get over at how efficient the Ninja is but what's got me ticked off is the price online shops are asking for the Ninja Rev. B. Heatsinkfactory is asking $52.99 and Sidewinder is asking $51.99. These two shops usually have the best prices I can find. With prices that close, you know it's not the shops jacking up the price, it's Scythe. They're simply capitalizing on the cooler's success, which they are more than allowed too. I guess they've seen how Zalman can charge such high prices and figured they'd cash in on it too. At least the Ninja is worth the money you pay for it. I just hope they don't let it get to their heads like it did with Zalman.

From what I can tell the Rev. B is supposed to be easier to install as no backplate is needed (so no motherboard removal folks) and they've added support for the AM2 so apparently there are some differences between the original and the Rev. B besides the AM2 bracket. Still, it's about $13.00 extra for the same performance as the original. :?
October 14, 2006 7:16:26 AM

Well my guess is zalman but i cant say yes or no because i dont know. I dont like commenting unless ive used it myself but i can tell you one thing the 130mm pure copper zalman is pretty tight.
October 14, 2006 7:54:11 AM

Quote:
From what I can tell the Rev. B is supposed to be easier to install as no backplate is needed (so no motherboard removal folks) and they've added support for the AM2 so apparently there are some differences between the original and the Rev. B besides the AM2 bracket. Still, it's about $13.00 extra for the same performance as the original.
From what I've been reading on forums. It sounds like Scythe didn't do a good job of "upgrading" the mounting setup. The setup for AM2 isn't great at all, I know of one person that had part of the retention bracket break off. And with 775 boards, a few people have had to cut away some of the clip to clear capacitors. I'm glad seeing their new mounting that I have an original Ninja with the metal brackets and backplate for 775. But I might look at Noctua's tower with their new fan when I'm set to build.
!