pschmid

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
In many ways, the functionality of the MythTV frontend is defined by its many plug-in applications. These software modules build upon the underlying video capture and audio playback foundation at MythTV's very core.

tdfisxs

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
So where is the plug in that supports encrypted digital content??? Any cable card support??? Nothing but OTA HD support????

MythTV is stuck in the past with no route forward. It's BetaMAX.

"linux encrypted digital content support" - arguably an oxymoron

The only way to do cablecard at the moment is to HD capture using libiec61883 (from linux1394.org) from your set-top box. You have to compile this in yourself so it is not exactly an easy task. I don't think it works w/ encryption yet...

betamax :lol: yes if DRM is the future you may be right, but who knows what they will come up with.

shuffle2

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
People try and put down many home entertainment apps like mythTV, citing that they do not support CableCard or encrypted HD.

Well....please name ONE program that can record/playback encrypted HD.

The problem lies not in the software, but the companies that distribute the content.....sure, there are ways to record encrypted HD....but it's certiantly not legal. No, not even if you pay for it.

As for cablecard, doolittle is right, however i don't know that it is really hard at all. "Compiling" things only sounds bad. :wink:

just remember: genkernel --menuconfig all
:)

najames

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
Thanks for the next part in the series. I have been waiting!!!

I just got done testing M$ Vista and it is not perfect either. I attached it to my SA 8300HD box hoping to be able to add GreenButton patches and retrieve the content from the set top box because it is full. No joy, the paches work, I can change channels on the set top box from the PC with a command, but it realy doesn't work well. Recording was iffy at best.

I then tried to back down and use the media center to manual capture through S-Video into a Happuauge PVR-150MCE card, should be easy since it was on Win2000. No can do either. Even though I could briefly see the video image, M$ Vista said I needed a IR blaster for it to capture, WTF? I found one and connected it, but still no joy. It did the same thing.

I am installing Ubuntu Dapper again and want to try MythTV and the plugins.

All I want to do is be able to get the recordings off the PVR, make some DVDs of stuff like HD Hogans Heros for a friend, exercise shows for my wife, and store the rest on a server. There are nice firewire ports on the 8300HD box, but they are useless for this purpose. Thank you media industry for bastardizing my PVR.

tdfisxs

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Well....please name ONE program that can record/playback encrypted HD.

Hey, it's what I and many many other people watch. ESPN, Deadwood, etc. Any solution that does not address this does not belong on the front page of this site.

Not a program but the Tivo Series 3 does it and so do the Cable company DVR's.