Sign in with
Your question

AVIVO

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 13, 2006 12:43:29 PM

If i buy a card with AVIVo will i be able to watch TV on my PC ?

(Thinking of upgrading from 9000Pro A-i-W to an X1600XT)

More about : avivo

October 13, 2006 1:00:47 PM

No.

You'll need to have some software that would support viewing what's coming in on the Video Input, plus an external source such as a cable box / DTT box / VCR / DVDR / PVR / etc.
October 13, 2006 1:02:14 PM

OK so i'll have to buy another AiW card or a seperate TV Card and another GPU.
Related resources
October 13, 2006 2:02:30 PM

Isn't this software not provided by ATI's website? ATI Multimedia Center 9.5?

I have an ATI X1900XT 512 GDDR3 that supports VIVO as well.
October 13, 2006 2:52:24 PM

The correct answer is: Kind of.

VIVO will allow a video input, but it doesn't have a tuner built in.

You could watcvh TV on your PC if you went through, say, a VCR first and used that to change channels...
October 13, 2006 2:54:20 PM

I want to be able to play my XBOX 360 going through the ATI card to the monitor so that I don't have to shell out $40 for the VGA adapter :oops: 

Is this possible?

If so, how do I set it up to work like that?
October 13, 2006 3:05:06 PM

It's possible. You'll end up with worse picture quality than if you used the VGA adapter, though - the resolution will be limited to S-Video, which is PAL (or NTSC).

You want to buy a VIVO card, or one with an S-Video output, set the Xbox up to output S-Video, plug them together, then run some software that allows you to see what's coming into the S-Video input.
October 13, 2006 4:21:08 PM

Yep, the Xbox will output to S-video so you don't need a TV tuner... all you need is VIVO capability, which will have an S-video input.

But mkaibear is right... the resolution will SUCK compared to the VGA adapter. S-video is very low resolution, I forget the actual numbers but if memory serves it's like 320x240 -ish.
October 13, 2006 4:23:29 PM

:(  Do they have a DVI output for the XBOX 360? Would I notice a difference between analog and digital on a Samsung 19" WS 940BW screen???

It has two inputs, so I was figuring I could use one or the other. Just wondering if I'd notice a difference in visual though.
a c 175 U Graphics card
October 13, 2006 5:28:40 PM

No one has mentioned it yet, so I will.

First, AVIVO is ATIs transcoding engine. It lets you take a video in one file format, say .mpg, and transcode it into a different file format, say .vcd. I've posted the list of files to and from before, do a net search of my name and AVIVO.

Second, what you are thinking of is VIVO. (video in, video out.) These are two seperate things. My video card has both of these, but I'm only using the video out part. Mkaibear is right. Software to see the video in, and a tuner that will change the channel. Should be simple to do, I'm doing it once I get the other Svideo cable...

Third, (and I'm not taking the time to sugar coat this) nice thread hijack Eurasianman. If you have a problem with your 360, post your own thread.
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2006 7:59:53 PM

Quote:
If i buy a card with AVIVo will i be able to watch TV on my PC ?

You're confusing ViVo with AVIVO.

ViVo allows you to watch Video in (not tune channels, but watch the output from a separate tuner [like VCR, dig cable/sat box]).

AVIVO is ATi's video enhancing software, has nothing to do with ViVo itself, but will assist video functions of card including ViVo cards, AIW-tuner cards, etc. But it's primarily about decoding (output) video and encoding/transcoding.
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2006 8:01:11 PM

AHah missed your post. D'oh!

BTW, AVIVO is more than transcoding/encoding, it's also decoding.
October 14, 2006 1:07:15 AM

Quote:
I want to be able to play my XBOX 360 going through the ATI card to the monitor so that I don't have to shell out $40 for the VGA adapter :oops: 

Is this possible?

If so, how do I set it up to work like that?

NO it will not.

AVIVO is NOT the same as VIVO. VIVO is video in video out. That is completely different than AVIVO. While most AVIVO cards have VIVO, avivo in and of itself will not let you do this. AVIVO is technology that helps filter the picture so it looks better coming from things like home made movies and downloaded videos. It also helps use the gpu for video conversion / processing...both of which are NOT going to help you get a video input. You have to have a card with VIVO.

Make sure whatever card you has has VIVO, it will be clearly stated if it is, it is even an option you can select on newegg's power search.

Good luck
October 14, 2006 1:12:24 AM

Quote:
:(  Do they have a DVI output for the XBOX 360? Would I notice a difference between analog and digital on a Samsung 19" WS 940BW screen???

It has two inputs, so I was figuring I could use one or the other. Just wondering if I'd notice a difference in visual though.

the dvi ports on the back of your video card are OUTPUTS, not inputs. So no you cannot plug the xbox to the dvi on the back of your video card.

Now what you CAN do is plug your xbox right into your monitor if your monitor has an svideo input. Otherwise you gota find a card with VIVO.
October 14, 2006 2:12:56 AM

Quote:

First, AVIVO is ATIs transcoding engine. It lets you take a video in one file format, say .mpg, and transcode it into a different file format, say .vcd. I've posted the list of files to and from before, do a net search of my name and AVIVO.

Second, what you are thinking of is VIVO. (video in, video out.) These are two seperate things. My video card has both of these, but I'm only using the video out part. Mkaibear is right. Software to see the video in, and a tuner that will change the channel. Should be simple to do, I'm doing it once I get the other Svideo cable...

Third, (and I'm not taking the time to sugar coat this) nice thread hijack Eurasianman. If you have a problem with your 360, post your own thread.

I don't have a problem with my Xbox 360! I was just wondering different ways of hooking it up to a computer monitor!
October 14, 2006 2:14:32 AM

Quote:

the dvi ports on the back of your video card are OUTPUTS, not inputs. So no you cannot plug the xbox to the dvi on the back of your video card.

Now what you CAN do is plug your xbox right into your monitor if your monitor has an svideo input. Otherwise you gota find a card with VIVO.

If you clearly read that, no where did I mention pluging my Xbox 360 into the video card! I was referring to my monitor! My monitor has a DVI and VGA connector. I was curious as to if they made such a device that allows you to hook an Xbox 360 to a monitor using a DVI cable!

READ PEOPLE!!!
October 14, 2006 2:18:15 AM

to convert your xbox to a dvi, you will need a special box, i saw them going for like 50 bucks on ebay. so to answer your question NO you cannot just use the DVI input on your monitor.

What else do you need to know?

ITS SIMPLE:

1) GET A VIVO VIDEO CARD

2) GET A LCD THAT HAS A SVIDEO INPUT

3) GET A CAPTURE CARD THATS HARDWARE ACCELERATED (YOU'LL PROBABLY NOTICE A FEW SECOND DELAY--SO THIS IS HARDLY AN OPTION.
October 14, 2006 2:19:21 AM

[quote="Eurasianman

READ PEOPLE!!![/quote]

and to you i say RESEARCH LAZY MONKEY, RESEARCH. Your answers could all be easily found on google.
October 14, 2006 2:20:08 AM

too complicated!

I guess I'll just have to suffer moving my xbox 360 back to the living room and hooking it up to my 50 inch widescreen DLP 8)

Now, I just have to move my computer and my bed and I'll be set! :p 
October 14, 2006 2:21:34 AM

meh...

I honestly google at least 50 times a day... it gets boring :p  :oops: 
October 15, 2006 4:22:28 AM

Quote:

No, I'm not, I'm wanting to use VIVO as well, just in a different way! Do you have anything better to do than call people sh!t. Now I know how you have so many posts. You must be a teacher's pet. AND LIKE I SAID BEFORE, IF YOU DON'T LIKE SOMETHING I SAY, DON'T READ IT!
a c 175 U Graphics card
October 15, 2006 4:59:30 AM

How does this post differ from post number 15 in this thread? I'm sorry I pointed out your thread hijack. Just ignore me if this bothers you that bad...
October 15, 2006 5:03:06 AM

Likewise!

Lastly, let the author state whether the thread has been hijacked or not. Who the h3ll made you thread judge anyways? Sheesh! Apparently, you have nothing better to do! Go check the motherboard and CPU threads and flag all the hijackers there!

My question did pertain to VIVO. That was the point of the thread! Jeez! :twisted:
!