Can i make Quad SLI on 2x 7950 GX2

ExZy

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Can i make Quad SLI on 2x 7950 GX2 ???
Just want to know coz som guy told me that it's imposible, 8O but i don't want to belive it :evil: and he alsov told that there will be some probs to find the right motherboard for it 8O can it hapen too?

CrimsonKain

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
You just need a board with a supporting chipset

From Nvidia's website
NVIDIA SLI-Ready MCPs:
NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI for AMD
NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI for AMD
NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI for INTEL
NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI for INTEL
NVIDIA nForce Professional
NVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16
NVIDIA nForce4 SLI
NVIDIA nForce4 SLI XE

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
You just need a board with a supporting chipset

From Nvidia's website
NVIDIA SLI-Ready MCPs:
NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI for AMD
NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI for AMD
NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI for INTEL
NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI for INTEL
NVIDIA nForce Professional
NVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16
NVIDIA nForce4 SLI
NVIDIA nForce4 SLI XE

And a wad of cash.

olmecoid

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
In escence, yes you can, You can chek November´s edition of Maximum Pc where they discuss the topic. Nevertheless, the question you should be asking is doest it makes sense or not. According to the artcle in the magazine I you can make it better with a dual sli configuration. Read the article!!

sailer

Splendid
Yes, you can; with the right motherboard, the right drivers (which Nvidia doesn't like to give out), and lots and lots of money. Don't forget a super large psu to power it all.

Question, why do you need that much graphics power? Most monitors can't use all that power, not even two monitors. Besides, a in few weeks, DX10 cards are going to start coming out, and in January, Vista might be released. Or will that be Easter? Not sure when it comes to Microsoft. Of course, you could run rc1 or rc2 and use the new card, I suppose.

Point is, spending that much money on DX9 cards right now is senseless, unless you're very rich and can afford to toss money to the wind.

ExZy

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
i don't care so much about the price as about the complactation and performace of my PC so it all fits perfectly together, cuz at the moment i have chance to take any videocard what i want but later i could't buy any one and i have maximum 1 week to chous wthat videocard.. yes at the bigining there will bo only one videocard but later , about after month or two, i shal buy a second one

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
i don't care so much about the price as about the complactation and performace of my PC so it all fits perfectly together, cuz at the moment i have chance to take any videocard what i want but later i could't buy any one and i have maximum 1 week to chous wthat videocard.. yes at the bigining there will bo only one videocard but later , about after month or two, i shal buy a second one

If you want TOP performance, get 2 x 1950xtx in Crossfire, will outperform a Quad SLI setup 99% of the time. But if you must stay with nVidia ( a company i generally prefer, i like the Drivers more) then go with 2 x 7900GTX and overclock them.

The short of it: DON'T GET QUAD SLI!

sailer

Splendid

Tom's did an article on quad SLI back on August 7 and found for the most part that it couldn't keep up with standard 7900 GTX in SLI or even a single X1900 XTX in some instances. The conclusion, it just isn't worth the money or the hastle. If you really have to have the fastest present cards, probably the X1950 XTX is the way to go, or if you're stuck on Nvidia, use a 7900 GTX SLI setup for better power.

ExZy

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
or if you're stuck on Nvidia, use a 7900 GTX SLI setup for better power.

No no i'm not :) i know that ATI is beter for games and at the bigining i had chous betven thees videocards:
ASUS GF 7950 GX2 PCI-E 1024M 2X DVI HDCP
CLUB 3D GF 7950 GX2 PCI-E 1024MB 2X DVI
CLUB 3D X1950 XTX PCI-E 512 MB GDDR-4
ASUS X1900XTX PCI-E 512MB HDTV 2XDVI-I
ASUS X1900CF PCI-E 512MB HDTV 2XDVI-I
and then decided to take 7950 GX2 or x1950xtx .... (still thinking) :)

sailer

Splendid
For the moment, if you want to use two cards, a X1950 XTX Crossfire setup is the most powerful. If you don't go into Vista and DX10 in the next few months, this is probably the best you're going to get, as further development for DX9 cards is pretty much ended. Nvidia and ATI are now concentrating their resources on making DX10 cards.