Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
C2D E6600
Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 550W Power Supply
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB)
ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU

Above are the main parts of the build. So here's the situation:

Motherboard came in yesterday so I started to put everything together. The first time I turned it on the rear fan, power supply fan, and video card fan were all on and running, but the zalman wasn't. Removed the plastic fan controller that comes with it and now the zalman fan turns on.

When I power on, all the fans run, but nothing happens. Neither of the CD-ROM drives power up and neither does the floppy. It does sound as though the hard drive turns on because when I shut it down I hear the usual shut down noise of a harddrive. All the cd drives, floppy and harddrive are funning off the same line from the power supply. I removed a stick of memory, nothing. Removed the other stick and installed the second stick, nothing again. Nothing displays on the monitor. So now I'm lost and wondering what the problem could be.

I'm wondering if the BIOS needs to be updated because maybe it doesn't support C2D, however should I at least be able to see the bios screen, or everything at least power on?

This is the second mobo, the first one somehow got fried and a nice blue spark happened, so I sent it back to Asus and the sent me a "refurbished" one. I'm also praying to god that my processor isn't shot. Any advice would be welcome. I'm at work so won't be able to test your advice until tonight, but I can at least make a list of what to try.

Thanks in advance!

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I had a similar problem with my e6600 and p5b deluxe wifi.

My problem was the 1394 firewire port on the board.

Disconnected the pigtail from the case to the port, and presto, everything worked.

Still cannot connect the stupid internal lead to the board without shutting everything down.

Streetz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I had a similar problem with my e6600 and p5b deluxe wifi.

My problem was the 1394 firewire port on the board.

Disconnected the pigtail from the case to the port, and presto, everything worked.

Still cannot connect the stupid internal lead to the board without shutting everything down.
That's messed up. Wonder why the firewire port would be the issue. I'll give it a try, I don't need the firewire port on the case anyways. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS