Please help me with setting up a wireless lan...

guy101

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Hi There
I'm wondering if any of the "experts" out there can help me setup a wireless LAN. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to setting up any access security and encryption.

This is for a public wireless internet in a cafe, I have a CHRONOS ADSL wireless router installed, supporting WEP and WPA connected to an adsl line. I'm hoping I can get the clients to connect with the SSID and a password while still having some basic security (from your local kid scanning open networks etc..) if possible? The client configuration needs to be as simple as possible as there aren't any technical enough staff to assist with advanced config.

How do I go about configuring the access point so that people can surf the web while having coffee (free service) and not let every tom dick and harry from outside piggy-back on the dsl?

Another thing, there will most likely be a few Macs having to connect via wireless too..?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Guy

pwnage

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
well you have come to the right place.

the easyest way to set your wireless up is WPA2. its harder to crack than WEP. basicly just create a pass phrase, this is turned into a hex code. and you just hand that out to the customers that want to use your network. also you may want to rotate your keys once a month for added security.

when your clients come in you just connect to the wireless signel and it will ask for the passcode. eter the passcode and you will be fine. works for both pc and mac. i know i have one : )

if you have any questions along the way let me know PM me or something.