Sign in with
Your question

Need Help w/ Manual IRQ Assignments

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 13, 2006 3:37:21 PM

Hey guys,
Sorry this is in the wrong section, I already posted in WindowsXP section but that's kind of a no man's land.
Long story short - Windows assigned silly IRQ channels to 4 different devices. Audio card/video card were sharing one, and HDD controllers/LAN were sharing another. Mainly the Audio/Video was a big problem for game stability. So...I wanted to change it, and tried Updating the ACPI driver to "Standard PC", and now my computer can't boot.

So I'm going re-install Windows, and I read that if you hit F5 when it prompts for F6, that you can use Standard instead of ACPI to assign IRQ's.

Has anyone tried this before? I guess its supposed to let you assign IRQs in Device Manager, but for some people this still didn't work. Please share any experience you had with this. Thanks!

More about : manual irq assignments

October 13, 2006 4:37:42 PM

Quote:
Hey guys,
Sorry this is in the wrong section, I already posted in WindowsXP section but that's kind of a no man's land.
Long story short - Windows assigned silly IRQ channels to 4 different devices. Audio card/video card were sharing one, and HDD controllers/LAN were sharing another. Mainly the Audio/Video was a big problem for game stability. So...I wanted to change it, and tried Updating the ACPI driver to "Standard PC", and now my computer can't boot.

So I'm going re-install Windows, and I read that if you hit F5 when it prompts for F6, that you can use Standard instead of ACPI to assign IRQ's.

Has anyone tried this before? I guess its supposed to let you assign IRQs in Device Manager, but for some people this still didn't work. Please share any experience you had with this. Thanks!

PCI normally works well sharing IRQs. There are thsoe times when a certain card may want a certain IRQ, but one way around this is to insert the card that needs IRQ12 in first. Then boot with it. Restart and add the second card.

You really don't want Standard PC because your HAL and kernel are SMP.
October 13, 2006 4:42:15 PM

Always use ACPI, otherwise some driver cards don't work and you may experience serious problems.

Change IRQ assignements in the Windows XP device properties dialog (Resources tab), changing from BIOS will not help.
!