Sign in with
Your question

Cheap non-gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
October 13, 2006 4:27:19 PM

Hi there. I was just wondering if anybody had some suggestions for a work PC. It WONT play games, so an extra low-end GPU(like a 6200) will be just fine. I also would like it to be a dual core, though if you really suggest, a more powerful single core could work as well. My only other request is that it would come with a LCD moniter. Please include windows XP as well as security software in the price.( you can just guess the price for the software)

No suggestions for Overclocking as well-- While I like to overclock myself, I want all the warrenties and the such for this pc as its for my mother.

More about : cheap gaming

October 13, 2006 5:04:03 PM

its very easy. you can get a cheap x2 3800+ for 160 dollars. a mobo with an onboard graphics card (nvidia 6150) for about 80 dollars. 2 sticks of 512mb ram would be a 100 dollars. a 160 gig hdd is about 70 dollars. a dvd burner combo drive is 30 dollars. a case with a small power supply of ~400watts should be about 75 dollars. and you can get a good lcd display from dell for about 175 dollars. you can use avg antivirus. its free and works better than norton or mcaffee. bitdefender, spybot and ad aware are good antispyware software that are free. a firewall should be about 30 dollars. windows xp home is like less than 100 dollars. and you can use openoffice.org as a good word processor and spreadsheet. openoffice.org is open source so its free.

edit: im at a workstation right now but if ur still interested in this build i can give you some suggestions. i currently am trying to build a computer like this to use in college.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 13, 2006 5:20:29 PM

Head to Best Buy/Curcuit City and just buy one from there. I would never use one because it would suck for gaming, but seeing as you aren't doing that, no worries.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 13, 2006 5:31:25 PM

Quote:
...a firewall should be about 30 dollars.

Or you can use ZoneAlarm firewall which is free.
October 13, 2006 5:35:23 PM

Hey Lets see here...
I've built a few low end comps for roomies the year and the best that ive found would be....
CPU - Pent D 805D - 90$
MB - P5RD2-VM(onboard vid) - 70$
MEM - 1gb ddr2 533 - 100$
HDD - WD 250gb SATA3.0 - 68$
DVD Burner - NEC - 30$
CASE/PSU - Rosewill case with 300-400W included 25-50$
MONITOR - Tyris 17" - 160$
KB/MS - 20$
OS - 90$
AVG Home - Free
other software - Free/100$

Grant total: Approx 678$

But since this is such a basic computer for your mom, have you considered looking into something easier to use... and up keep? Prebuild dell... or even an Apple computer for saftey and less maintanence. Just a thought

~Seraph
October 13, 2006 5:52:39 PM

Agree.
Goto Best Buy/Circuit City.

Find the Cheapest Model.
Take the next model up.

Likely an LCD monitor and Printer will be bundled.

Never buy a gaming system there, but for office work it's great.
Simple. No Hassle. Can't save much doing it yourself. Easy Warranty.

Checkout Dell.Com too.
(Do not buy upgrades - Do yourself for more mem, etc.. That is where Dell makes money. Super Overcharge for any system upgrade.)
October 13, 2006 5:55:23 PM

Yeah, I am seriously considering a dell or the sort( I almost prefer it due to the complete warrenty-- its easier for my mom). The probelm is that there totaly expensive(for what they give) and I kinda want some specialized components.

For instance, I do want a Core 2 if possible- 6300 of 6400 should do.( I suppose an X2 would work, but if I remember the C2D has the best performace per clock, right??)

However, I want a small hdd as my mom wont need more than 80 gigs. At places like Dell, if I get C2D, they give me bigger hdd(160) as well as a seperate GPU(though for the sake of Vista I'm thinking about keeping a basic GPU, like a 7300 * or even a 6200 if it can work Vista)

Price wise, the lower the better. 750 USD max. 600 ,or lower prefered.

My mom uses this computer for office stuff mostly- e-mail, word drafting, internet... Still, she does some picture stuff as well.

Would 1 gig of ram be good? 2 gig is overkill, but what of 512?
October 13, 2006 6:10:48 PM

Do not get more than 1gb of memory right now.
Memory prices are crazy.

Athlons are better deals for the money.
If you can find a Athlon 3800x2 you are set.

You must realize that current CPUs are just CRAZY at what they can do.

The 3800x2 would have been AWESOME a year ago today.
Windows and such have not changed that much and is just as good as it was then.

In reality ANY Athon or Pentium (No Celeron) with 512mb (1gb preferred) is just fine. (1gb required if using on-board graphics since this uses shared memory and will make less than 512mb available.)

If you want, you can toss in a low-end video card like a 7600 if the video needs a boost. The PowerSupply will never take a killer card, but entries are no problem.

People will tell you to spend alot, but unless you need it, its a waste.

When you Mom blows up Windows, just pop in the nice recovery CD that came with the system.

$700 will get you a good gaming system.
It's far more than is needed to browse MySpace, Play Y! games, etc..

Spend $400, Save the $300, Sell the computer in a year and a half for $100 and buy another $400 PC that is far better than the one you get for $700 today. It will then have Vista which you will want then. (Dont wait for Vista, because you will not want it on the day it ships - let things settle.)

IMHO, if you buy today what you need tomorrow you will still need tomorrow's PC when tomorrow comes.
October 13, 2006 6:51:55 PM

Quote:
Hi there. I was just wondering if anybody had some suggestions for a work PC. It WONT play games, so an extra low-end GPU(like a 6200) will be just fine. I also would like it to be a dual core, though if you really suggest, a more powerful single core could work as well. My only other request is that it would come with a LCD moniter. Please include windows XP as well as security software in the price.( you can just guess the price for the software)

No suggestions for Overclocking as well-- While I like to overclock myself, I want all the warrenties and the such for this pc as its for my mother.

the cheapest thing that cames in my mind is a celeron cpu .. coupled with a video on board mobo
October 13, 2006 7:09:47 PM

So it would be better than a budget Core 2? I have to admit, the X2 is a strong contender for my pick. AMD has some good deals. So, what would be better, a C2D 6300-6400 or a X2 3800-4200??

By the way, I found some really nice deals at cyberpowerpc. Do they use low qualtiy parts?

By the way, If i go AMD, 939 or AM2? I know AM2 is newer, but she would never touch the insides of her computers-upgradeability isnt important...
October 13, 2006 7:45:56 PM

The Core2 is better.
A Porsche is better than an Accord.

CyberPowerPC would be fine.

I spend $$$ on my PC and I custom build.
When I buy for my wife, she gets "Dell, E-Machine, etc.."

It's not because I don't love her :>>>
It's because she has real basic needs.

The only thing that could really overwork a modern PC is lack of memory.
1gb is a safe amount.

Also checkout Outlet.Dell.Com and TigerDirect.com.
They often have refurbs.

Sometimes you can get the same PC with a better warranty (as an option)
than a new PC. (Example - a little over a year ago I bought a Dell refurb gaming laptop that included a 3-year on-site next day warranty with more upgrades for less money than a new one with a 90-day warranty. Last month a little over a year old my touch pad went bad and they were there the next day fixing it. )

In your case if you spend only $400 or so on the PC, I would worry less about a warranty. It is a disposable item and not worth the $300 you may spend on a good warranty.
October 14, 2006 2:18:24 AM

like if you want to have a decent gaming pc you build it urself. if you aren't dell has great deals with computers for as low as 400 dollars. for ur mom's needs id just get a dell. as long as u reinstall the os so it gets rid of all the bloat dell puts on it.
October 14, 2006 5:25:32 AM

Dell outlet has good deals for sure, but the main problem is that I cant fiddle with 'em. Many of sound cards, higher GPUs( dual 7600GS. LOL, I wonder witch noob did that) Plus, they all use Pentium Ds. If I heard correctly, they suck for the price.

Will there been any price cut

The more I look, I'll go with X2. Its weaker than C2D, but its way cheaper.
October 14, 2006 7:53:17 PM

I know that, but Dell Outlet, their used machine seller, had none in my price range...

You know, with holiday price bumps so soon, would I benefit from just gettting a PC in febuary?
October 14, 2006 8:17:22 PM

The PCs on Dell Outlet change every few moments.
Just go back and check again.

Prices are always dropping.
Buy when you need one.

X2s are find now and will be for a long time.
October 14, 2006 9:23:21 PM

To the person who recommended CyberPower: I'll try to say this nicely. Cyberpower is the worst computer company ever. Just look at their ReSeller Rating. Abysmal.

The newest eMachine is your best choice, IMO.

~Ibrahim~
October 15, 2006 9:17:22 AM

i agree with zenmaster above - for non-gaming low end systems, dell or similar prebuilt systems are hard to beat for the price.

Dell has a "dimension 5150 desktop" (what is with their crazy naming system anyway) with 3.06GHz pentium 4, 256MB, 80GB, 17-inch LCD Monitor, windows xp, 48x cd-rw/dvd-rom, 10/100 ethernet, etc. I wouldn't want to play any games on this, but maybe with free AVG free openoffice and free zonealarm this would meet your mother's email and other work related needs?

Price is $429 after $120 instant discount and includes free shipping. Expires on 10/18/2006. HERE

Opinions from the experts welcome if this is a good or a bad value.

I am guestimating to build a similar system, windows xp is $90, the hard drive is $75, the monitor is $150, the CPU is $75, the mobo is $75, the case is $30, the PS is $40, the DVD is $30, memory is $40, the keyboard and mouse are $30.. i am up to $600 or so and i think i may have left out some parts ( GPU and ethernet - i am assuming they are on the mobo but if i am wrong add more for them). not to mention the warranty which is probably worth $35-$50 or at least peace of mind that you won't have to visit your mother at work if something blows up. :-)
a b B Homebuilt system
October 15, 2006 9:56:00 AM

There are only two reasons why I would tell people to stay away from this machine. First, if the CPU runs at 3.06GHz, its a 533MHz FSB machine. I would try to get one of the newer 800MHz, as there are quite a bit faster. The other problem is the low amount of memory. 256MBs just isn't enough to run XP fast. 512MBs is really the lowest I'd use, 1GB would be better. The ram is an easy upgrade, but replacing the CPU would depend on the motherboard used. (I have to admit that the CPU is fine for lowend use, but the memory must be upgraded to make it fast enough without p!ssing off the user.)
October 15, 2006 1:52:48 PM

What is wrong with the newest eMachine?

AMD Athlon 3800+
1GB of DDR400
250GB Hard Drive
16x DVD Burner

eMachine T6536

~Ibrahim~
October 15, 2006 2:52:44 PM

I think this guy is a good candidate for a Dell... especially their entry-level $299-$399 systems. I'm sure this suggestion will be met with some negative comments... but it's impossible to beat Dell on pricing on their low-end systems. Any of use will be paying around $80 just for a Windows XP license... subract that out of the already low Dell price and you have very little room for hardware.
October 15, 2006 3:18:03 PM

Quote:
What is wrong with the newest eMachine?

AMD Athlon 3800+
1GB of DDR400
250GB Hard Drive
16x DVD Burner

eMachine T6536

~Ibrahim~

i like this system - leaves nothing to be desired for a good price - and when vista comes along pop in Graphics Card and a beafier PS and tada (if vista is a concern for you) theres also an upgrade path on the CPU - when prices finally hit rock bottom for socket 939 processors, you can get a dual core CPU for it...

Nice Find btw =)
October 15, 2006 3:40:39 PM

Quote:
To the person who recommended CyberPower: I'll try to say this nicely. Cyberpower is the worst computer company ever. Just look at their ReSeller Rating. Abysmal.

~Ibrahim~

Agreed. My friend bought from the company a year ago. The computer seemed fine until suddenly the compy wouldn't turn on. Replaced the PSU and it worked again. Then he tried installing a 6800GS. Tons of problems. He then got a new compy from Monarch. Costed a little more but much better quality.

Dell is probably your best bet. As they typically bundle a nice monitor. Here.
An AMD system from Dell (X2 3800+) is available for $400 with no monitor.

Check techbargains.com for some good deals. They typically show Dell and other good deals.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 15, 2006 3:56:14 PM

Quote:
I think this guy is a good candidate for a Dell... especially their entry-level $299-$399 systems. I'm sure this suggestion will be met with some negative comments... but it's impossible to beat Dell on pricing on their low-end systems. Any of use will be paying around $80 just for a Windows XP license... subract that out of the already low Dell price and you have very little room for hardware.

Ageed, for office use, just get a low end Dell, or Gateway, (I prefer Gateway to Dell) upgrade the ram to 2 gig, and you will be fine. Heck, my own personal PC I use at the office is a 6 year old Gateway, 2.0 ghz processor, 2 gig ram, 200 gig harddrive with a low end video card, DVD and CD burner. Runs any office application fine, even use it for Photoshop, Quark, Illustrator, Pagemaker, Indesign, Framemaker, Acrobat 7, Filemaker, to name a few.
I have bought my crew new PC's, new Mac's and such, spent over 5 grand on a few of them, and really they don't do that much better for office or general desktop publishing than my Gateway Clunker.
Sometimes they come and ask to use my old machine because it's been around for so long and has everything on it, plugins, fonts, installed printer drivers, etc when they need to do something a little out of the ordinary, and they never complain when they use it. So really, if it's for general office use, and you have a strict budget, it doesn't really take much to get the job done.
October 15, 2006 4:05:10 PM

I live in Turkey, so I doubt e-machines are avaible online. Dell is in Turkey, so I can get their PCs easily. The Dells with their discounts arent bad at all...

By the way, whats is the diferance from an Analog flat panel and a digital?

Guys, how much would you rate(price wise) this system:

P4. 2.4 ghz, 512 RAM, Nvidia GF 5200, 150 HDD, Win XP pro, Mcafee anti virus, 550 watt PSU(overkill for this system, but I cant change the specs). It does come with a mouse and keyboard, but no screen.( I can add an LCD as an extra of course). It does have a printer though...

Weird specs, yes... but what would its value be?
October 15, 2006 4:42:30 PM

You may want to use a low end Turbocache or HyperMemory video card. The intel gma 950 sucks and most boards don't even have dvi.
Geforce 6150 on board video does have dvi.

also on board video eats up system ram.
October 15, 2006 6:52:36 PM

which is why every system I've configugured, even low ends-- have a weak GPU. I've seen X300 for around 50 USD. Sure it would not be a great choice for gamers, but it works, and will allow Vista to run if need be...
October 15, 2006 7:27:09 PM

If you are still in the mood for building, this is a system I had planned for my Dad's office, but built another system instead:

Wishlist

Doesn't include a monitor, OS, speakers, or any other peripherals. I was just replacing a computer...

I realize that it's NewEgg and the prices don't covert over to whatever shop you have there exactly, but it may help. Maybe.

Dell isn't bad.

~Ibrahim~
October 15, 2006 8:22:10 PM

Quote:
which is why every system I've configugured, even low ends-- have a weak GPU. I've seen X300 for around 50 USD. Sure it would not be a great choice for gamers, but it works, and will allow Vista to run if need be...
Why? Cost.
Looking at the low-end Dell 2.4 system, all these parts are obsolete (some REALLY old) throwaways. They cost Dell almost nothing. The WinXP has value, but Dell gets it FAR cheaper than we can. Only the HDD and ram really have any value. Dell throws in a free (cheap) printer to get you to buy the (expensive) ink refills from them.
We cannot build a low-end system for what Dell can sell it to you for.
We can build a decent system with integrated 6150 graphics, WinXP, 1GB of ram and a quality PSU for about $500. Add the price of a monitor to this and you see the problem. Buy the Dell and consider it a throw-away that has no upgrade room/potential.
October 16, 2006 6:55:58 AM

I agree, the processer is crap, and the GPU is no star, but it might be worthwile. The mouse is nice(its one of those laser ones, not a cheapie) and the printer is a HP Laserjet 1300. So far, the system seems to be worth more 1-1 to a comparable 500 USD Dell. Dell's CPU and GPU is better sure, but I think a GF 5200 is OK for a non-gamer.( it is the AGP version, not the PCI) It also comes with one of those sugre-protectors. ( which is actualy good 'cause every once in a while there are power surges in Istanbul)

I could buy an upgrade or 2 for the non-dell PC as well. ( I dont know about RAM prices here, but the GPU arent horrible. I've seen a INF GEFORCE 6600 256MB at 128 bit for 100 USD. A Saphire Radeon X1650PRO 256MB DDR3 for 185 USD and a Saphire Radeon X1600 PRO 512MB AGP DDR2 for 165 USD. A X1950 XTX was around 500 USD. So their seem to be little price bumps all around...

I'm just curious, what is the best deal of all GPU cards I just showed you?

By the way, Ibrahim, I couldnt see the wishlist. It wanted me to log on to you're acount I believe...
October 19, 2006 2:49:02 PM

i've seen that article, very nice... Still, even 100 is alot for a budget NON gamer PC. The 6200, at like what, 20 USD isnt bad though...
October 19, 2006 9:15:17 PM

Yeah. A nice budget GPU is the X1300XT.

~Ibrahim~
!