Sign in with
Your question

Having Trouble with Statup on Homebrew

Last response: in Systems
October 13, 2006 4:54:12 PM

Hello everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem I'm having on a home built system I've put together.

The basics are

Asus M2N4-SLI Motherboard
AMD 3800 64 dual core processor
2 GB RAM
Nvidia GEForce 7600 GT

Whenever I start up the computer the light on the front starts red. The startup will continue normally, but eventually will just stall. The time that this happens varies, sometimes while on the BIOS loading screen, sometimes on the memory test, and sometimes on the cursor between the memory test and the bootup. I assumed that the problem was that the processor was overheating and shutting down, so I added more thermal paste. This prolonged the time the computer would stay open, at first it could make it all the way to almost opening windows, but whenever it was about to start windows it would stall. After I had tried restarting the computer over and over, it would stall earlier and earlier.

I am still assuming that the processor is overheating, and the only thing that I can think is that I need a better heatsink. However, before I go out and get another heatsink (I am using the one provided with the processor) I wanted to know if anyone had any idea of what else it could be. Also, the fact that the light is red makes me worry that perhaps there is something that I am missing. Thank you in advance!
October 13, 2006 10:24:55 PM

Ah, sorry. I have

2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM PC2 6400 speed 5-5-5-12 RAM.
As for the PSU, I forget the branding, however I know it is 350W.

I had not assumed it was the RAM as the startup would stall occasionally before it would even get to the memory test. I could be, and probably am wrong about that, though.
October 13, 2006 10:41:11 PM

Brand of the RAM and PSU would help. NewEgg links are great, if possible.

Thermal paste should be extremely thin. More only highers the temps..

~Ibrahim~
Related resources
October 13, 2006 10:45:51 PM

The link to the newegg RAM is:

here

Unfortunately, I don't know the brand of the PSU, it's been a while since I bought it.
October 13, 2006 10:55:56 PM

Two problems, but both can be fixed.

There is your problem. That OCZ RAM. It has compatibility issues with AM2 and even more compatibility issues with ASUS and even MORE issues with AM2 and ASUS.

So, try this. Put in one stick. If it works, go to the BIOS. Bump the RAM voltage to 2.0V. Then put the other one in. That should fix it. If it doesn't work, contact OCZ. Believe they have a fix.

Hmm..An old 350W PSU isn't very good for a new system. May have issues down the road, if not now. Take it from me: A bad PSU can commit homicide. It will kill other components if it dies. I've had it happen: :( 

Good luck!

~Ibrahim~
October 14, 2006 8:41:44 PM
October 14, 2006 9:32:52 PM

It isn't fatal, yet. I would get a new one when you get some extra cash. FSP is good, Antec, OCZ, etc...Check out the PSU guide mplich has..

~Ibrahim~
!