Will this combination of routers work?

senorpixie

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
Hello,

I'm currently using a US Robotics 8054 broadband wifi router. I was thinking of buying a Linksys WRT54G router to use as a wireless repeater, to get better coverage on the second floor of my house. Do you think this combination will work? Or will there be problems because of the different brands of the equipment?

Thanks in advance!

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
The WRT54G won't work as a wireless repeater without third party firmware. If it's not (I believe) Version 4 or prior then I don't think you can get third party firmware for it. V5 and moving forward got away from the open source flash software.

If it is a V4 or better you can get firmware that will enable WDS bridging support as a client/repeater. I am not familiar with the USR product. If it supports WDS then you should be fine. If not then no, you'll likely, but not with 100% certainty, need to stay in the same family of gear to use bridge/repeating.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
You will loose the 125 mb boost, also. If you don't have any 11b equipment , set to G only. Make sure the power setting is set to HIGH/Max. Upgrading your antennas on the 8054 will make a world of difference. The 2 db antennas are limiting the range. I have it's sister USR5450 AP. It came with 5db antennas. I can cover my whole house 65' across and 5 wall on LOW power. Some of the notebooks wireless cards are pretty poor. The one in mine is good to make it through 2 walls. The reason I use USR 5410 pcmci card.

Or add a USR5054 AP for the upstairs.

icemann77

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
i think you dont know what your talking about.its possible to cascade two wireless router just make sure to change the lan ip of wrt54g to a diff ip range.so that they dont have ip conflict between them. :wink:

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
You had better read what she is trying to do be for you make a comment.

She has a 2 story house tring to set up a repeter to cover the 2nd story, NOT CASCADE routers.

I have done a coupe of these installation.

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Usually WDS only works whithin products from the same manufacturer...

False. That's why WDS was developed. Client bridging repeating before WDS was a crap shoot. Typically you couldn't get cross vendor hardware to associate. WDS was created to solve this issue. It's the reason you see WDS out there. Now, whether it works everytime i wouldn't go that far but generally speaking there are no problems.

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
i think you dont know what your talking about.its possible to cascade two wireless router just make sure to change the lan ip of wrt54g to a diff ip range.so that they dont have ip conflict between them. :wink:

Might want to read the post before you comment. I have been guilty many times of the faux pas you made here. Pays to pay attention.