Sign in with
Your question

Intel to be sued over Copyright Infr. for Core 2?

Last response: in CPUs
October 13, 2006 6:26:52 PM

Couldn't find any posts here on it, so sorry if I am creating another topic about it. Found something here:

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2006/10/13/tech-tran...

Seems Transmeta has claimed that Intel has shipped $100B worth of copyright infringed materials. No response from Intel yet.
October 13, 2006 6:34:01 PM

They’re going all the way down to P6! That’s about 10 years of shipments.

It’s just insane. If it is going on for that long, why took them so long to complain about it?
October 13, 2006 6:35:17 PM

Power saving technologies... hmm...

Why aren't they sueing AMD for similar violations?

IP Trolls suck.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2006 6:39:52 PM

Quote:
They’re going all the way down to P6! That’s about 10 years of shipments.

It’s just insane. If it is going on for that long, why took them so long to complain about it?

Because there is no infringment. Transmeta is about to go belly up. They need cash badly. And Core 2 is hurting them even further. You see Transmeta claims that they own the patent for dynamically lowering a clock multiplier.

This is bullox... as the Clock Multiplier patent belongs to Intel. Therefore Transmeta is infringing on Intel's patent for using a clock multiplier to begin with. LMAO.

To go further the patent for dynamically raising/lowering a clock multiplier is owned by IBM.

So I'm not sure what Transmeta are saying here. Seems to me that it has to do with there overall revenue decline last year.
October 13, 2006 6:42:30 PM

Cool guys, thanks for the info. I knew you guys could dig up more info than I could in a million years. :p 

I will keep my eyes open, but I am expecting this to get thrown out or settled out of court for an undisclosed amount.
October 13, 2006 6:43:00 PM

Not to mention not being licensed to produce silicon that can execute x86 code.
October 13, 2006 6:44:38 PM

Transmeta's goal is:
1. Get bought by Intel, since Intel doesn't want to waste money with a lawsuit
2. Get payment from Intel, after Intel loses the lawsuit
3. Shoot themselves, after Intel wins the lawsuit or it gets thrown out
October 13, 2006 7:19:51 PM

Quote:
Transmeta's goal is:

isnt the 2nd and 3rd goal a little bit conflicting against each other? wud love some of what u r smoking right now...
October 13, 2006 7:21:26 PM

I read an article, where nearly all American companies with a revenue over 1 billion have over 50 lawsuits pending against them, which I can believe. AMD is suing Intel, Transmeta is suing Intel, and Intel would probably counter-sue if they really cared... It' part of the buisness. I don't expect much to come out of this, and if anything, they will probably settle out of court like most companies do.

For that matter, the place where I work has an army of lawyers, and when I mean army, I mean at least company strength. Army of one.
October 13, 2006 7:31:42 PM

There stock took a jump up after that news. it's up over 10% where it was on the 11th.
October 13, 2006 7:38:22 PM

so Transmeta (founded in 1995) has filed a lawsuit looking to get cash from Intel for patent infringement dating back to 1992..... umm?
October 13, 2006 7:40:53 PM

It's a list of all possible outcomes.

Reworded:
Transmeta's goal is:
If they fail, they:
October 13, 2006 7:41:25 PM

Quote:
so Transmeta (founded in 1995) has filed a lawsuit looking to get cash from Intel for patent infringement dating back to 1992..... umm?

Technically (I'm not saying this is true or not or that their suit is ligit), they could have bought the patents from another company...
October 13, 2006 7:51:14 PM

Now why could that be? :lol: 
October 13, 2006 7:52:20 PM

Quote:
Because there is no infringment. They need cash badly...
So I'm not sure what Transmeta are saying here. Seems to me that it has to do with there overall revenue decline last year.

My first thought if Transmeta claim proceeds, was that they were waiting for the cake to grow in the oven (and what a cake Intel is…).

Also, I can’t really conceive they would take that long to figure out Intel was infringing their patent, as that would be really lame.

Resuming, I think you are right. At first that sounds as a desperate act from Transmeta
October 13, 2006 7:53:50 PM

Quote:
Technically (I'm not saying this is true or not or that their suit is ligit), they could have bought the patents from another company...

Like Intel, who they are now in litigation against? What you wrote is a possibility. Highly unlikely, but a possibility none the less.
I predict that this case will be thrown out by the judge when it goes before the bench. The case has no legs...

@ Everyone:
Incidentally what's Shakirou saying about this?
October 13, 2006 8:05:44 PM

Quote:

Like Intel, who they are now in litigation against? What you wrote is a possibility. Highly unlikely, but a possibility none the less.
I predict that this case will be thrown out by the judge when it goes before the bench. The case has no legs...

This case may have no legs, but that hasn't always stopped a judge from letting a lawsuit proceed anyway. Look at Toshiba on that moronic class action lawsuit for a BIOS problem no one had ever experianced. You get the right lawyer, and since they can file the lawsuit anywhere they want, you can always find a judge who will allow it to continue.
October 13, 2006 8:12:27 PM

Quote:
@ Everyone:
Incidentally what's Shakirou saying about this?

AMD are the best, Intel are the worst!
October 13, 2006 8:24:34 PM

Quote:

LOL yeah, just don't think about the facts here. It blows their whole lawsuit out of the water if you think about "evidence"! :D 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2006 9:14:00 PM

That it will make them go bankrupt even faster than his estimated Q2 2008!
:lol:  :lol:  , I go to his web stie everyweek when I need a good laugh, downwside is I generated some traffic =(.

So you guys dont generate more traffic here's a few golden quotes:

Quote:
XBit has more details on how DELL dumped VIIV in favor of AMD Live! I guess Core 2 Duo's FSB can't really handle the intensive bandwidth requirements for modern media applications.

Quote:
Conroe is a tragedy. It pushed DELL to AMD, it is not good enough for high end, and it's too expensive for the mainstream.

Quote:
One nice thing about Athlon 64 is you get native true 64 bit power, unlike those emulated 64 bit technologies.

Quote:
The screw is tightening for Intel. As AMD take more and more market share, Intel will have to raise prices to delay its BK time. The math is simple. AMD is expected to exit 2006 with 40% market share(run rate), leaving Intel at 57%, and VIA at 3%. Right now, low end CPUs are priced below 512MB DRAM.

Under such circumstances, if the CPU price keeps steady, Intel will BK in five quarters.

Therefore, I expect Intel to raise prices to delay it bankruptcy by two quarters to 2Q08.

Finally to prove he is tottaly clueless...not needed, he found out 2 days ago how to really enable C&Q, that's been discussed 1 year+ ago =)
Quote:
I found that you actually need to change Windows XP's Power scheme to "Minimal Power Management" for C&Q to kick in. After making that change, the CPU is now running at half the speed most of the time.
October 13, 2006 10:01:45 PM

Quote:
Couldn't find any posts here on it, so sorry if I am creating another topic about it. Found something here:

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2006/10/13/tech-tran...

Seems Transmeta has claimed that Intel has shipped $100B worth of copyright infringed materials. No response from Intel yet.

Looks to me like Intel was in licensing talks with transmeta for the 10 patents. The damage this lawsuit could do to the market is great. Due to the market damage Intel most likly will be forced by the court to set aside a royalty account. I would guess this account could range as high as $5 billion and would remain locked until the companys come to some sort of an agreement.
http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/10/12/HNtransmetasu...
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2137
October 13, 2006 10:21:09 PM

$5 000 000 000 !?!?!??!?!?!?!?!!?

Maybe sharikou was right, intel will go bankrupt. :p 
October 13, 2006 10:23:21 PM

Copyright infringement? No...

I think it would be "patent infringement".
October 13, 2006 10:29:43 PM

Quote:

they make that much in a year, easy. sharinincompoop is a moron.

I know i was kust joking.

At first i thought it was $5 billion a year for an undetermined amount of time. 8O

Still as a lump sum total thats still a bitch load a money, and intel wouldn't be pleased at losing an entire year's revenue to a little company, and neither would stock holders...
October 13, 2006 10:34:58 PM

Quote:
bieng that the ftc hates monopolies id think both AMD and INTEL are somewhat protected by laws

there would be bailouts in times of bankruptcy.like the airlines bailouts and other such occurances.

True. And usually its not the big kid on the block that goes down, its the little guys.
October 13, 2006 10:36:12 PM

Ah, the stink of corporate desperation is potent even from this great distance. The lawsuit keep the company alive as it gives prospects (no matter how remote) of keeping up cashflow in the future.

If they had a good case, they would have brought it a while ago, as the infringements aren't exactly new. It's kinda like using your last dollars to buy lottery tickets.
October 13, 2006 10:40:08 PM

Quote:
thats not always the case,its just the majority of cases.

I kniw thats why i said USUALLY :wink:
October 13, 2006 10:41:11 PM

Quote:

It will be a stock float with a bank standing good for the amount. They most likly will come to an agreement. This is just transmeta wanting a larger piece of the C2D payoff.
October 13, 2006 11:06:16 PM

Aint this world going sick? It's like citroen vs mercedes......who has the best comfort while driving. I know american cars don't have the comfort compared to citroen with their enhanced hydrolic system. I heared that some fords are soft in taking bad roads but once they have to take an collision avoiding action the car will simple lose traction. same as intel and amd....they are on a new road now.....the battle is not only performance anymore....no it's alsmost a real war....it's kinda sick. why dont they just shake hands...what is it with this money. americans and money...bush and iraq and oil....etc. And europe is watching the strange shit going on in American heads on the news. When will America start to be real humans again instead of brainwashed sheeps all talking the same and being overreacted nice or bad to eachother. nowonder they start killing eachtoher in schools.
October 13, 2006 11:22:52 PM

Quote:
Aint this world going sick? It's like citroen vs mercedes......who has the best comfort while driving. I know american cars don't have the comfort compared to citroen with their enhanced hydrolic system. I heared that some fords are soft in taking bad roads but once they have to take an collision avoiding action the car will simple lose traction. same as intel and amd....they are on a new road now.....the battle is not only performance anymore....no it's alsmost a real war....it's kinda sick. why dont they just shake hands...what is it with this money. americans and money...bush and iraq and oil....etc. And europe is watching the strange **** going on in American heads on the news. When will America start to be real humans again instead of brainwashed sheeps all talking the same and being overreacted nice or bad to eachother. nowonder they start killing eachtoher in schools.

Don't feed the troll.

REPORTED
October 13, 2006 11:25:25 PM

Once again we have another Jackass troll trying to hijack a thread.
Reported
October 13, 2006 11:56:44 PM

The processors that Intel has today are a hybridization of both the CISC and the RISC u/arches. To my memmory the Intel, and AMD processors change the process to either CISC or RISC. I'm quite sure someone can correct and elaborate on this.
October 14, 2006 12:30:38 AM

Here's my rant regarding this issue. Scroll down to the 12th post or so. In retrospect it probably belongs in this thread. Live and learn.
October 14, 2006 12:51:57 AM

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think since MMX (and subsequently SSE), both Intel and AMD are removing support for older instructions. So it would be safe to say the whole CISC vs. RISC thing has been left behind.
!