Can I use an used processor in my new PC?

joeandem7400

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2003
Hi everyone,

I have a silly question. How do I prepare a used amd athlon 3700+ 754 pin processor for a new computer without frying the computer and possibly my house?

I already bought the silver coolant, but I need to know exactly what I have to do to remove the silver coolant that is currently on the CPU. The CPU has not been active for the last year, does the coolant dry or become hard to get off?

What precautions do I have to take?

I have searched the forums but I am still very confused and would rather my questions be answered by someone on a 1 to 1.

I appreciate it. Thanks a bunch.

pete4r

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
First, you need to make sure that your new computer is running a Socket 754 Motherboard.

U can use all kind of tools to remove those thermal paste, apply little alcohole or water and squeesh them hard with some soft materials. Does matter how long it has been inactive, if it works, it will work.

good luck.

sithscout80

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Just use isopropyl alcohol to get the old thermal paste off the processor. When you are dealing with the CPU, just make sure you don't accidentally bend any of the pins. If the processor doesn't easily fit into the socket, don't push it. Check for bent pins. If you need to know how to apply the new thermal paste, just ask.

sithscout80

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
There are 2 ways that I have heard of doing it.

1. Put some thermal paste on the processor and then use a credit card to spread it thinly and evenly on the whole processor where it will touch the heatsink. I have used this way many times, I've never had a problem with it.

2. Put a rice size drop of thermal paste in the center and then apply the heatsink. The pressure from the heatsink then spreads the thermal paste evenly on the processor.

Either way works and both are recommended by people. Some argue the first way can develop air pockets between the processor and the heatsink. While others say that in the second way the thermal paste won't spread over all the processor.

Tell us how it works out for you.

KOne

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2004
There are 2 ways that I have heard of doing it.

i have tried both ways of putting thermal paste on the cpu. the second way works the best. because you don't want to much on the cpu. you don't need thermal paste all over the processor, just in the center especially a single core processor. what is important is you don't have metal to metal.