clone from celeron to dual core machine possible ?

data-freak

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
I want to clone a old Celeron machine with windows 2000 on it to a new machine with a P4 D 805 2.66 and a serial ata drive,so all the components are new are you able to do it ? casue i get inaccesible boot device if i try it,any work arounds ? or must i do a clean install

thanks

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Acronis Universal Restore which is an addon for True Image 9, is designed to do exactly what you are asking.

It will let you monkey with the drivers so that you can install a backup image to completely different hardware.

I been meaning to give it a try, but haven't done so yet.

There is a similiar addon for Snap Delpoy so you can create one master image and delpoy to incompatible hardware.

As far as I know these are the only two products that offer this.

woshitudou

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
If you're porting over the hdd only then one way is to put the hdd in the new system and install your windows over the old one so it puts in the new drivers.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Best way is to dig up your win2k install disks and install a fresh copy on the new system.
then you can use one of the many programs around to copy your data and settings.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I did this a while back, used True Image 9 to copy the C drive from Intel hdd to a new hdd and they put it in an AMD. I uninstalled all the drivers before copying and it worked. In fact I had read a How To about doing this and I think it was somewhere on this site but can't tell you where. I agree with kittle that you would be better off doing a clean install. I really just did this to see if I could and then did a clean install.