AMD to take 95% of PC Market?

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
In case Intel would loose (unlikely) they would pay w/e billions bucks for it and then buy the stupid company for another billion. Simply not gonna happend.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
yeah, this is like T.O. attempting suicide: no. just no.

although i bet those conspiracy theorists that've been screaming "intel's gonna go bust with c2d! they're going bankrupt!" are gonna use this as ammunition.... great. :roll:

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
Oh, I hope they go bankrupcy. But it wont be for this.
K8L will be named their doom :lol: (or so I hope so)

NOO! bankrupcy on either's behalf is a terrible thing. we need players in the game to keep prices good and improvements coming. remember those dark ages before AMD? well, whether you want to believe it or not, the same would happen with Intel knocked out. Yeah, i loved 939 before Conroe came about, and now C2D has stolen my heat (in a completely heterosexual non-technologophile way), and i'm hoping that K8L will kick ass too, but both companies are ESSENTIAL in the marketplace.[/rant]

(sigh) shoo. got a lil worked up there.

SciPunk

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
It will be settled. Perhaps Intell will have to pay big $$$ if Transmeta can prove that their technology was used without proper compensation. But the chips will continue to flow.

And how this adds up to AMD taking 95% of the PC Market has not been shown.

I guess some people really do route for a processor manufacturer as if they were a football team.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
It will be settled. Perhaps Intell will have to pay big $$$ if Transmeta can prove that their technology was used without proper compensation. But the chips will continue to flow.

And how this adds up to AMD taking 95% of the PC Market has not been shown.

I guess some people really do route for a processor manufacturer as if they were a football team.

yeah, i was wondering the same thing about the *95%* market share. but i can see the courts just saying, "eh.. no." and slapping Transmeta down. Intel seems pretty untouchable.

and, yes, it is sad how worked people can become about their favorite chip maker. some people act like they're fused to the company itself or something. meh. whatever.

djplanet

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
I know that the same thing was said about the AMD-ATI merger, but I firmly believe this will amount to nothing. I wonder how Transmeta will make their case, which leads me to a more important question:

What proof do they have???

Also, if they did develop this technology first, why didn't they exploit it and make the money Intel has? I understand Transmeta has nowhere near investment capital of Intel, but they would be able to develop something well.

Finally, why didn't they sue when the Pentium III was first released? Suing when a new, remarkable processor has put Intel on top and threatened their already meager market share is very convenient indeed.

Here are the facts:

Transmeta developed two consumer laptop processors to compete with the Pentium M, Turion, etc. These were Crusoe and later Efficeon. Both aimed to reduce power consumption (around 10 watts), which did work. But the CPUs were too anemic, and Transmeta didn't count on OTHER components which suck power (display, HDD, etc.). The slight power consumption improvement paled in comparison to the poor performance. But Intel made it work, they made it work with Pentium M, and they made it work better (much better) with Core architecture.

Transmeta, stop blaming Intel for properly implementing a processor philosophy. I apologize if they really did steal your technology, but this lawsuit is too conveniently timed to be real in my opinion.

Excuse my long winded rant, I just hate it when some little desperate for cash company plays the "you stole my idea" card.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
True, without both players itld be dark ages all over again.
And whats even more important for great products and pricing to keep coming is that the top performance and $/performance crown will switch player every now and then.

SciPunk

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I know that the same thing was said about the AMD-ATI merger, but I firmly believe this will amount to nothing. I wonder how Transmeta will make their case, which leads me to a more important question:

What proof do they have???

Nothing surprises me anymore. The court system is notorious for making bad judgements in the technology business. How do you prevent Microsoft from employing unsavory business practices? Why you pass a law seperating opperating systems from web browsers, of course.

And what about this...
http://gearlog.com/blogs/gearlog/archive/2006/08/24/19403.aspx

So now I guess Creative owns the "look and feel" of the graphics interface on handhelds... even though the "look and feel" argument was thrown out years ago when Apple sued Mircrosoft over Windows 3.0.