Difference between 965P and 965G

redmanc

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
i had the same question myself, actually. don't remember where i read this, but SOMEWHERE, hidden deep within this forum is a line running something like this:

"p. g has onboard video, which you don't need."

so, go with the "p" version. its supposed to be a sweet oc'er, and wusy recommended it in his super-duper awesome OC forum, which you should use by the way.

wusy's thread of awesomeness:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Core2Duo-Overclocking-Guide-v1-ftopict197995.html

also, your ram looks fine to me, but you may wanna wait to see if someone else tells you otherwise. similar to what i'm looking at, although what i'm eyeing is by g.skill. yours should be awesome, tho.

atp777

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Like they've said, the 965G has onboard graphics. The 965P does not, and you will achieve better OCing results with the 965P.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I just bought a 965p ds3 motherboard. It is a very good motherboard. Mated with an e6400 cpu. However, I also bought OCZ gold ram. At first, my system wouldn't even fully install windows unless I lowered the ram speed from 800mhz effective down to either 667 or 533.

I wouldn't suggest OCZ to anyone using a new core 2 duo motherboard. It is workable, but I would have preferred that I hadn't gotten it.

The 965P is a GREAT board though.

If you have any questions about it I would be willing to help you....

redmanc

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
What OCZ memory are using ?? to get 3.3ghz.

Also a stupid question but as the MOBO has only one IDE slot, can i connect my HD and DVD writer to the same one ??

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I did the same thing napoli3 did. I am running the f7 bios and there is no problems. My board came with the f4 bios stock.. My only problem was the memory at first. I then upped the voltage something like .2v and it was stable with no problems afterwards.

As far as IDE connectors, I am also using an SATA cable so I only use the ide connector for the one dvdrw drive I have. now, i did hook up my old IDE drive to transfer data, but that was only temporary. I believe they make SATA disc drives now, although they aren't as common as IDE drives yet.

napoli3

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
what are you using for cooling and what are your temps rabid?

I just put on a Artic 7 Freezer temp of 42 full load and 32 idle, but the fan runs a full rpm and is louder than the artic pro on my amd computer.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
WEll, in BIOS it says that the cpu is somewhere around 30 degrees celsius and the temp monitor on my case (with the temp sensor on the motherboard) right now says 96 degrees farenheight. Now that's with my Aspire xplorer case. a rear 120 mm fan, top 80 mm fan, 120 mm fan on bottom of psu, and the cpu fan shoots the hot air right out a chute on the side of the case.

as far as a cpu cooler, I used stock hsf and thermal compound (though, i bought AS5 for later)

do you want pics???

napoli3

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
No, I thought maybe you had a different HSF. I was thinking about getting a Scythe which should be quieter considering the fan on it is 120mm.

Currently I have a 120mm in the front sucking in cool air and a 120mm on the back of the case blowing hot air out along with the fan on the power supply. Also have a 90mm on the side sucking cool air in. Its just that the Artic Freezer is set on voltage so it runs at full speed and is a bit loud.