XP still available (new) without SP2?

I'm hoping you might provide some direction here, with regard to SP2.
My sister's PC has been nothing but trouble since SP2 was installed -
to the point she went out and bought parts for a new system, and a new
OEM copy of XP home so she could get rid of SP2. I assembled her new
system, and installed the OS - unfortunately this CD comes with SP2
included, and did not provide any option during installation to
deselect SP2. Is there any work around, or should she be looking for
an older copy of XP? I'd be fine with buying her new copy and
upgrading my own (win98SE) PC so she can buy what she needs - but is
it even available new without SP2?

I can't give specifics on the problems SP2 is causing, but it seems to
relate primarily with the online game Everquest 2 by Sony; it has
been unplayable, with system freezing, BSOD, spontaneous reboots, slow
game performance (when it will work at all)...

She's tried disabling SP2's firewall, uninstalling SP2, updating video
drivers - etc with no positive results. The most frequent advice from
other gamers is to wipe the drive and reinstall XP (without SP2) - but
that's not really an option for her at this point, since she has
important business apps and data on her drive that she can't risk
losing or even being without for a day or two.

Note - to reply by email, please reformat the addressee (should be pretty obvious)

In news:b3qkq0pestr28h5d1bvmtk92q3gd9ugm74@4ax.com,
trumpet@telus.net <trumpet@telus.net> typed:

> I'm hoping you might provide some direction here, with regard
> to SP2.
> My sister's PC has been nothing but trouble since SP2 was
> installed -
> to the point she went out and bought parts for a new system,
> and a new
> OEM copy of XP home so she could get rid of SP2.

Wow! Talk about overkill! Why didn't she (or you) come here to
ask for help before taking such a drastic step? Almost certainly
her problems could have been solved without spending any money.

> I assembled her new
> system, and installed the OS - unfortunately this CD comes with
> SP2
> included, and did not provide any option during installation to
> deselect SP2.

Most CDs that are now available now come with SP2. If it does
come with it, it's never optional.

> Is there any work around,

No.

> or should she be looking for
> an older copy of XP?

Neither. She should just install it *with* SP2. Doing a clean
installation with it will probably not result in the problems she
had earlier, which were likely caused by all te spyware she had
on her machine.

> I'd be fine with buying her new copy and
> upgrading my own (win98SE) PC

No, you wouldn't. OEM copies can not be used to perform upgrades.

> so she can buy what she needs - but is
> it even available new without SP2?

Probably, if you look hard enough. But most copies you will find
now will include it.

Please reply to the newsgroup

In news:78jlq0duij4iclmav7992qke7prmedi9g5@4ax.com,
trumpet@telus.net <trumpet@telus.net> typed:

> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:19:30 -0700, "Ken Blake"
> <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

>>In news:b3qkq0pestr28h5d1bvmtk92q3gd9ugm74@4ax.com,
>>trumpet@telus.net <trumpet@telus.net> typed:

>>> I'd be fine with buying her new copy and
>>> upgrading my own (win98SE) PC
>>

>>No, you wouldn't. OEM copies can not be used to perform
>>upgrades.
>
> Miscommunication here - I'm well aware I can't upgrade; what I
> meant
> was upgrade in the sense of replacing 98, which has pretty much
> reached the end of its useful life since MS will no longer be
> supplying security patches for it. Fortunately for me, I don't
> run a
> business and have no problem wiping my drives and starting
> over.

OK, but you still have a problem. The licensing agreement for an
OEM version restricts it to the first computer it's installed on.
It can never be moved to another.

>>> so she can buy what she needs - but is
>>> it even available new without SP2?
>>

>>Probably, if you look hard enough. But most copies you will
>>find
>>now will include it.
>
> Fair enough; used it is then.
>
> I hope I'm not sounding too bitter about this whole thing - I
> seem to
> have gotten your irish up a bit here.

No, not at all, and I apologize if I came across that way.

Please reply to the newsgroup