Sign in with
Your question

A super quiet 120MM fan for your CPU HS

Last response: in CPUs
October 13, 2006 9:53:49 PM

Guys

Ive been working on a project for close to a year now. Its in 'post production' mods phase, and while replacing a fan mod that failed miserably, I came across a fan that is so amazingly quiet I thought I'd share with you.

The Enermax (yuk, Ive never liked their products before) Marathon Enlobal 120mm fan is mindbogglingly quiet. If your looking for a silent 120MM fan for your HSF, this is the one.

In short, it moves 44CFM @ an honest 17 DB. No need to read more if you dont want to.

In a little more detail, Its a not so new technology thats fairly new to computer fans. A different breed of armature support: a magnetic field suspension bearing which eliminates conventional sealed ball beaings or bushings. Lack of mechanical contact bearings/bushings and low speed make this thing near-perfect silent while still moving a respectable 44CFM. Do I sound like Im gushing? I am, thats how good this thing is. I mounted 3 of them without using my iso-mounts, (as I hadnt modded the frames yet) and even hard mounted they're still at most 1/3 as loud as the Antec "silent" 120mm iso-mounted fans (at lowest RPM) I was using.

Ditch the factory fan, crack one of these puppies on that Ninja scyth CPU heat sink and enjoy the sound of silence

Peace

October 14, 2006 4:16:26 AM

Turpit, thanks for the heads-up on this fan !
I will have to track down where I can get some. I have been looking for something quite to put in my main pc as it is in my bedroom and I sometimes leave it running at night.

Found a review link to add

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/index.php?x=reviews&id=47...
October 14, 2006 4:21:26 AM

Actually pretty kewl that you can take the fan blades off for cleaning. :trophy:

Related resources
October 14, 2006 4:28:24 AM

Yes they are nice...
I want to get 3 of them but I havn't found where to buy them yet :( 
October 14, 2006 4:34:31 AM

I read a reviw about various types of fans and it said most of the noise comes from just the rushing air, so you are better off to get something durable like ball bearing instead of sleeve even though sleeve is suppose to be quieter.

But i can see a difference ever so slight. A normal fan at 44cfm might be 20db and thats actually twice as loud. So i can see it making more of a difference with lower cfm fans like this one. I'm getting a sleeve one with 90cfm and 21-27db. Its an aerocool and has leds so its pretty sweet. I imagine i will be quiet as well although noise doesn't bother me much.
October 14, 2006 4:37:48 AM

Thanks Grimmy but Newegg doesn't ship to Canada, Im checking some locals :) 
October 14, 2006 4:40:43 AM

:oops:  . o O (there's always that shipping problem)
October 14, 2006 4:47:44 AM

hmmm... the customer reviews on the NewEgg link do not look all that encouraging... :?
October 14, 2006 2:10:30 PM

Well, that's one of the points where quality products differ from the others; they're all the same quality.
October 14, 2006 3:16:55 PM

Quote:
I read a reviw about various types of fans and it said most of the noise comes from just the rushing air, so you are better off to get something durable like ball bearing instead of sleeve even though sleeve is suppose to be quieter.

But i can see a difference ever so slight. A normal fan at 44cfm might be 20db and thats actually twice as loud. So i can see it making more of a difference with lower cfm fans like this one. I'm getting a sleeve one with 90cfm and 21-27db. Its an aerocool and has leds so its pretty sweet. I imagine i will be quiet as well although noise doesn't bother me much.

This uses niether bearings or 'sleeves' aka bushings. The shaft is suspended in a magnetic field.

As for the SPL on a nprmal fan running at low rpm, yup, it will be low, but I doubt they would be @ 20, even if thats whats advertised. My much vaunted 16db Thermaltake was more like 25 db (which is still pretty quiet) at idle. The 120 'silent' dual BB Antecs were turbine engines compared to the enermax.

Dont get me wrong, Im not a big fan of enermax products. Ive only had a few, and the impression they left me with was "3rd world manufacturings not so finest generic Bargain bucket crappola" But these fans are so quiet, I have to look at the power led to make sure the computer is on when I hit the power switch. With my enclosure, what little noise they do make is totally captured, and the blade design/frame design is pretty dam good as well: flow noise is nil. with the case open, if they make any noise, I cant tell as its drowned out by the power supply fan.

4 shadowed:

About the reviews at New egg. Ya, I can easily see a drawback to this design which would explain (in some cases) the probems these guys noted. Dust deposts on theses things could easily throw the rotating mass out of balance and cause the shaft to rotate off axis or "wobble" and contact the magnet surface causing squeeking or ticking.

So, if youre in a dusty environment, or dont have a filter on your box, this may not be the fan for you. Unless your willing to clean it often. My enclosure is filtered, so Im not worried about it.
October 14, 2006 5:32:38 PM

No i agree with you. I was saying that the review said the type of mounting wouldn't matter as much as how much air is moved. But i can see it making a bigger difference with a low cfm fan like that. Plus that magnetism is pretty cool. :wink:
October 14, 2006 5:36:39 PM

I could use it for some diabolical purposes...... :twisted:
October 14, 2006 6:07:53 PM

Quote:
I could use it for some diabolical purposes...... :twisted:

Does this involve a ninja and 4000rpm fanblades ?
October 14, 2006 6:15:56 PM

Maybe.. :twisted: ...lock your doors and hide your children...
What really interested me is that the quietness of this new fan in combination with a Scythe Ninja and the new Xeon Conroe's will be perfect for a HTPC.... an OCable HTPC I might add.
October 14, 2006 6:28:28 PM

Quote:
Maybe.. :twisted: ...lock your doors and hide your children...
What really interested me is that the quietness of this new fan in combination with a Scythe Ninja and the new Xeon Conroe's will be perfect for a HTPC.... an OCable HTPC I might add.

well..... if ya wanted to send all the parts over.. i could be persuaded to do some very lengthy testing for ya :wink:
October 14, 2006 6:39:26 PM

I wouldn't exactly call those stellar reviews by newegg customers.
October 14, 2006 8:37:29 PM

I'm actually using one FM121.

But it isn't used in my case, since all of them are 80mm case fans.

I used it on my Zalman 7700 HS, as a fan mod replacement. :lol: 
October 14, 2006 11:55:00 PM

I have that fan, and it rocks... but is rather noisy if turned up much...
One of the best, imo...
!