Intel and AMD wow at Digital Life

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Well, I just got back from Digital Life and I can say WOW. There are some real sweet things coming out soon. Most of which are based on Vista.

PS3 made an appearance and was being played by gamers. The graphics are eyepopping. I would say that Cell and GeForce are going to be a force to be reckoned with.

But the big story was AMD\Intel who were out in full force with PCs from Sony Hp, Dell, AlienWare, Toshiba and ABS.

As promised I got lots of good info on both C2Q and 4x4.
First C2Q:

It is fast. I got to play with one for a second and it is responsive as it wants to be. Programs pop open - even Office. Unfortunately none of the PCs had benchmark tests on them but the DeathMatch was definitely on.
I did notice soem interesting slow downs on X6800 but I can't say why. It was only opening games - which was slow. At least the ones i tried. Half Life 2, City of Heroes.

Next up 4x4:

It is fast. I didn't get to play with it much as there was no mouse but I did view the HD movies and game demos running smoothly. They opened Task Manager and you could see that the 4 cores were pegged at 100% and opening other windows still flew.

As far as the specs; from the horses mouth (Brent Barry of AMD),

4x4 will ship with 2 DDR2 slots per chip and WILL NOT USE REGISTERED RAM. The first ASUS mobo only has two video slots but they said they wil be adding 2 when the new nVidia and ATi chipsets come out.
The expected launch is next month. I forgot to ask if there would be DIY sales but I would say that it own't be long since most real enthusiast power users (home) want to put there own PC together.
He also hinted that future versions may support more than 4 GB RAM.

All I can really say is that now is the best time to be a PC retailer as you can't really sell a PC that won't run Vista well. I saw a 6150LE running Aero glass with an Athon 3500+ and also several laptops.

Dell was also out in force with an array of Merom laptops in Q4 deathmatches. They are sweet M1710 was the model.

SO to repeat AMD has confirmed that 4x4 will use regular RAM not Registered and if you can tell the difference between 4x4 and C2Q you are amazing.

I may go back tomorrow and see if I can see the mobo for 4x4.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Did you take any pictures? You lucky bastard.

No. I was going to go tomorrow but decided to leave work early today so I could sleep in. No camera. It's too bad. There were some cool looking machines. VooDooPC had what looked like their C2Q box in the HP area and ALienWare brought out all the FXs they have along with the gaming Turions.

It was even said that Dell would use 4x4 in XPS systems. You have to admit that an OCd 965EE would be just slightly better in terms of power and not much worse than a dual socket Opteron.

Especially without the extra server stuff.

Well damn you for not taking your camera. I always wanted to go to a trade show.
It was even said that Dell would use 4x4 in XPS systems. You have to admit that an OCd 965EE would be just slightly better in terms of power and not much worse than a dual socket Opteron.
8O I think that I'm going to die..... are you sure no one hijacked your account?
When did Dell say that they'd roll out the 4x4's? Or what the price was? If you know we could put off the 4x4 vs Quadro till then.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Well damn you for not taking your camera. I always wanted to go to a trade show.
8O I think that I'm going to die..... are you sure no one hijacked your account?
When did Dell say that they'd roll out the 4x4's? Or what the price was? If you know we could put off the 4x4 vs Quadro till then.

The controversy will remain and while C2Q DOES have the upper hand of being the faster architecture, it will be like comparing 200MPH to 220 MPH in a 150MPH speed limit.

Since the official launch for AlienWare is Nov, I would say Dell will be right behind in time for XMas with C2Q and 4x4.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

The controversy will remain and while C2Q DOES have the upper hand of being the faster architecture, it will be like comparing 200MPH to 220 MPH in a 150MPH speed limit.

Since the official launch for AlienWare is Nov, I would say Dell will be right behind in time for XMas with C2Q and 4x4.

More like 200MPH vs. 240MPH.. maybe even more.

You get the 4x4, I'll buy the Qx6700 and we'll compare benchmarks and speeds along with TDP, Vcores and average temps running in a high load/idle situations. That is if we can max out the potential of these CPU's.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

More like 200MPH vs. 240MPH.. maybe even more.

Perhaps. Perhaps not. I think that the FX70 will be like Core 2 and AM2 @ 2.8GHz but FX74 which is to be the only SKU ABOVE $1000 will nip on it's heels and overtake it areas where K8 is stronger. Different apps and games do cause the difference to fluctuate.

NUMA under X64 should also make up a few points. C2Q does have an architeture edge but AMD has the platform edge so it'll be interesting.

Either way I'm 4x4 all the way.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
You get the 4x4, I'll buy the Qx6700 and we'll compare benchmarks and speeds along with TDP, Vcores and average temps running in a high load/idle situations. That is if we can max out the potential of these CPU's.

Probably only multiple HD movies will max these. As Jack was fond of saying though AMD has the tendency to spread out transistors to lessen leakage power so they may have some EE type enhancements applied. I couldn't care less though as long as it does what I want.

I will post what benchmarks I have time to run though. These short little blurbs take about a minute.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
8O *total amazement*

i can't help but notice that you're not being trash-talked into tomorrow. how's it feel? speaking of tomorrow... are you going back?

please find a way to get pictures! this forum will collectively love you forever

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Either way I'm 4x4 all the way.
No qualms from me. I just don't have want to switch platforms.
You know, you're not all that bad. You just need to work on your wit.... and no flat tops are not GQ... ever again. that went out with shiny suits.

It's OK then cause I've never worn a shiny suit. ANd never will.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
8O *total amazement*

i can't help but notice that you're not being trash-talked into tomorrow. how's it feel? speaking of tomorrow... are you going back?

please find a way to get pictures! this forum will collectively love you forever

I may go tomorrow. It was fun DeathMatching on a LAN. Reminded me of the my MS days. If I do I'll take my camera. Hopefully the C2Q will be back on the LAN. There was a problem with it today.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
*crosses fingers*

i wish you the best of luck tomorrow, Baron. enjoy it for the rest of us.... and hopefully bring back some pictures to make us regret missing it even more!

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
Well, I just got back from Digital Life and I can say WOW. There are some real sweet things coming out soon. Most of which are based on Vista.

PS3 made an appearance and was being played by gamers. The graphics are eyepopping. I would say that Cell and GeForce are going to be a force to be reckoned with.

But the big story was AMD\Intel who were out in full force with PCs from Sony Hp, Dell, AlienWare, Toshiba and ABS.

As promised I got lots of good info on both C2Q and 4x4.
First C2Q:

It is fast. I got to play with one for a second and it is responsive as it wants to be. Programs pop open - even Office. Unfortunately none of the PCs had benchmark tests on them but the DeathMatch was definitely on.
I did notice soem interesting slow downs on X6800 but I can't say why. It was only opening games - which was slow. At least the ones i tried. Half Life 2, City of Heroes.

Next up 4x4:

It is fast. I didn't get to play with it much as there was no mouse but I did view the HD movies and game demos running smoothly. They opened Task Manager and you could see that the 4 cores were pegged at 100% and opening other windows still flew.

As far as the specs; from the horses mouth (Brent Barry of AMD),

4x4 will ship with 2 DDR2 slots per chip and WILL NOT USE REGISTERED RAM. The first ASUS mobo only has two video slots but they said they wil be adding 2 when the new nVidia and ATi chipsets come out.
The expected launch is next month. I forgot to ask if there would be DIY sales but I would say that it own't be long since most real enthusiast power users (home) want to put there own PC together.
He also hinted that future versions may support more than 4 GB RAM.

All I can really say is that now is the best time to be a PC retailer as you can't really sell a PC that won't run Vista well. I saw a 6150LE running Aero glass with an Athon 3500+ and also several laptops.

Dell was also out in force with an array of Merom laptops in Q4 deathmatches. They are sweet M1710 was the model.

SO to repeat AMD has confirmed that 4x4 will use regular RAM not Registered and if you can tell the difference between 4x4 and C2Q you are amazing.

I may go back tomorrow and see if I can see the mobo for 4x4.

Who are you? And what have you done with BaronMatrix?

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Interesting stuff, however, the CPU is not everything, we have to consider that, even for dual cores, you have to get 4G+ of RAM to unleash the full potential of a platform; meke a 4x4 of kentsfield do a tough rendering or photo editing on 2G of RAM and you still end bottlenecked :cry:
So, any news from the RAM front :?:

Frozen_Fallout

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003
Great post man. I cant wait to see what the 4x4 can do. Wish I would have the money to buy one but I just had my first child so it looks like a lite upgrade for me seeing as how I will be missing most of my pay check from now on :). Make sure you post your benchies when you get one :).

shadowed

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Some how I get this feeling that the natural order has been wessed with... but what the hizzie... I can't wait to see the pictures of 4x4.

It does seem like an irregular way to go (as did sli) but I think technology is going to explode in the upcoming years. (not like laptop batteries)