need colour ideas for respraying a packard bell case

mbwoods

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
hi

can anyone give me some ideas as to what colour i could use to respray my packard bell pulsar pc? originally it was a pentium 200 with 16/32meg ram and have since scrapped the motherboard and fitted an amd k6-2 500 with 128meg ram

the case looks like this in the picture
it_portal_pic_5166_t.jpg

im gonna strip the case into plastic components and respray them. originally it was a white tower with grey sides but now the white colour has yellowed with age and its horrible. i have a couple of compaq pc's and have resprayed them both in black(ie like the current compaq pc's).

let me know what colour combo would work best, ie red with black sides or something

Robovski

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
Well, color is a matter of personal taste. I like black because it has a certain style and goes with most anything, and you can snaz it up with an accent color if you like (metallic accents look nice).

Alternately, why not try complimentary colors? Go here and read the bit about complimentary colors at the very least.

mbwoods

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
i know its a matter of taste, but i'd like some ideas, thats what i asked in the first place

most cases comes in different colours, but some comes only in 1 colour

so, what do u think thats eye catching? which 2 colours i could use?

Robovski

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
Eye catching? That's a different matter. You need a good contrast between 2 colors. The human eye responds most directly to the color flourescent chartreuse - sometimes called saftey green (or yellow). It's like this:

safety_tshirt_green_longsle.jpg

Now contrast that color with someing a bit jarring to catch the eye, something much darker.

org-green.jpg

If greens not the thing, how about yellow or orange or like a plasma blue?

star.gif

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
GOOD LUCK.

really, you'll need it. i got the grand idea to spray my 'ole Gateway case, and boy was that a nightmare. i've got some *cough* street art */cough* under my belt, but spraypainting plastic compy cases are NOTHING like anything else. first of all, it dried all crappy, and it was like rubbing off and stuff, and it dried lumpy (even tho i set it to dry right) and i sanded it down and basically it was just one big nightmare, like this massive run-on sentence. so, i'd recommend like getting plastic spraypaint or something, if there is such a thing, because my normal paint didn't work very well. but, that was prolly just my terrible luck striking. i bet you'll have better luck.

as a side note, i did a kinda nice design in pencil, and then sprayed it, with black, red and some silver. it looked pretty sweet, i must say! i'm not satanic or anything, those are just some sweet colors. best of luck, and post some pics when you're done!

mbwoods

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
thats something different, something like metallic green front/top with blue sides?

or light green or yellow front with black sides?

like as i said i already spray painted 2 compaq's before in black as they were 1 allround colour, packard bell comes in 2-tone colours

keep the ideas coming. may do some mock ups to gauge reaction

ps: how do u post a poll?

GherkinPekul

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
The tower is shaped a little bit like an old radio. I think the white could be a medium brown color, and the grey could be black. All you need then is some old knobs to glue on it for a retro radio thing. That's my first thought.
Good Luck.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
i believe there is an option when you are starting a thread... i don't know if you can start one in an already-established thread, tho. but how do you post pics? i'll try to show you a kinda sweet idea i've been kicking around... heh. so what are you thinking you'll go with, color-wise?

UC7

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
Make sure you get a good primer sprayed on there first. Then really let that dry well.
Plastic can be a b*tch to paint sometimes.

You could go with green and yellow... making it's performance correspond to a certain football team with a similar name. (just joking... I have owned Packard Bells before also.)

I tend to prefer the idea of going with a more rustic style. You could make it a brown or green metallic color, and dab in some dry brushing to simulate the beginnings of corrosion. You could make it like an antique piece of radio equipment from WWII.

RichPLS

Champion
how about a nice rustoleom color?
eh?!?!

im not too keen on retro looks, just want it a clean modern look, i dont think a brown pc would look good

need colour ideas for respraying a packard bell case
I just think that passe and retro are a good combination... :wink:

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Packard Bell huh? I'm trying not to laugh. I've blown more of those up with cherry bombs than I can count.

How bout that great rust brown (some say orange) color people think looks so good on cars? It'd be a fitting color for a PB, ya now, diarrhea....

Seriously, why do people want cars that look like sh*t?

mbwoods

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Packard Bell huh? I'm trying not to laugh. I've blown more of those up with cherry bombs than I can count.
i was given the ageing packard bell, but i stripped out the old pentium mobo and fitted an amd mobo, all im doing is recycling the case but adding newer parts

your right, brown is reserved for wooden furniture, not on cars and certainly not on pc's

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I'd say go for a nice dark metallic blue, makes the curves change shades a little darker as you move around it.

Hope you replaced the PS, had tons of those die back in the day.

mbwoods

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
power supply is the same, but no worries, got a few spares in case this one fails

metallic blue sounds nice, but what about the sides? something like silver or black or what? or even gold(if possible and available)?

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Well I'm not into two tone that much, tends to look tacky unless done really well. Maybe start with the front mettalic blue, the first quarter of the sides slowly fading into a darker blue/purple, and the last 3/4th's turning to a raging firey purple, metallic of course.

I should have my wife do something like that on one of my cases, she's good with the air brushes...

Robovski

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
Any of those 3 would be pretty sharp. Blue and silver (or black) is seen on some commercial cases.

Maybe blue and gold for a kind of modern/deco look? Ah! Copper for the alternate. That'd be pretty sweet.