Thecus n5200 RouStor - problems with access control

jeffk1

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I recently got a N5200 NAS and am trying to get folders other than 'public' to work correctly when connected to from an XP box as a drive letter with a simple home setup. The box has Ver. 1.00.03 f/w

If I setup a user, I have not had any luck connecting to folders as the user unless the folder is public (without an ACL) once a folder has an ACL, no matter where the user is listed in the ACL list, the connection fails and XP keeps poping up the user/password box.

If instead of giving a single user to various permissions in the ACL list, I instead use the 'users' group I get these odd results:

If the 'users' group acl is either NO PERMISSIONs or WRITEABLE it seems to work as expected (NO PERMISSON - generates access denied errors), (WRITEABLE - allows full access)

if 'users' group acl is READ ONLY: copy file:acess denied, copy folder:access denied are both as I would expect.

However if I delete a single file at the top level directory with the explorer does not give an error and the file looks deleted, but 'refreshing' the directory shows that it was not actually deleted

If I delete a folder (with some contents) the delete fails on the top level directory, however all files and directories below it are deleted.

Anybody else have these kind of problems? Am I missing something in the setup?

I have a support request into Thecus but have yet not had a reply.

Thanks.

Nogami

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
Yup, I can confirm the same issue here.

There are also some issues when using the web interface to configure accounts through firefox.

N

revo

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
Same results here too... Seems when I contacted Thecus, they were not too keen on providing any kind of customer support.

revo

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
Yup. Ran into the ghosting issues with using firefox... They obviously developed and tested everything under IE only -- since the interface worked fine under IE. So much for looking at what your users are using.

Nogami

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
I've got the ACL working properly now on my system - turned out to be a problem with the way that Windows was caching the network drive user/passwords during login and the way I had my directory structure set-up (different users/psws for different folders/access):

If you are mapping multiple drive shares in windows on the same device, it looks like you need to use the same user for all of them - you can't login on two separate shares on the same server using two different userIDs - it doesn't like that.

So I removed all of my drive mapping, rebooted the computer, made sure that I had the same user ID/PSW permissions set for all of the directories I needed on my 5200R and re-mapped the drive. Works OK now. (FW 1.00.4.10)