Scanning fax quality multi-page TIFF files

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
August 2, 2004 9:07:11 PM

I am trying to archive a lot of paper documents which consist mostly of
faxed text, drawings, or hand written annotations. From here forward I am
receiving the faxes on our computer, so they do not need to be scanned. The
generic windows fax software seems to do a pretty good job, and each page
only takes up about 30-50 kb for the full quality as the fax was
transmitted.

The problem is, now I'm trying to go back and get all of our old paper faxes
we've already received scanned back into the computer. I have an HP LaserJet
3330 MFC. If I load a multiple page document into the doc feeder and use
HP's scanning wizzard program to save it as a multi-page tiff file, the file
size is about 150% larger and the quality isn't as good, even given the same
200 dpi resolution, compared to if I use the same machine to fax it to my
computer.

If I 'scan' it, the thing takes some rediculus amount of processing time and
the mechanism gets tired of waiting for the computer to process so it goes
back to it's parked position on the opposite end of the scanner bed to wait.
Then I have to wait for it to go all the way back to the scanning position
to continue when the computer is ready. If I instead 'fax' it, the scanning
process is fast but then I have to wait for it to dial up the fax and that
is a rediculus delay inbetween each document, plus it ties up both of our
phone lines.

Isn't there a way to get the documents scanned back into the computer at the
same approximate quailty, file size, and speed as if I had faxed it?

Thanks,
Jeff
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 10:54:27 PM

In article <10gtb84e4u0lh08@corp.supernews.com>, jeff_phil-NO@SPAM-yahoo.com
says...

>If I load a multiple page document into the doc feeder and use
>HP's scanning wizzard program to save it as a multi-page tiff file, the file
>size is about 150% larger and the quality isn't as good, even given the same
>200 dpi resolution, compared to if I use the same machine to fax it to my
>computer.

Fax is 200 dpi line art mode, in TIF format with G3 compression.

150% isnt a lot, so I assume you are not scanning in grayscale mode.

Assuming line art (like fax - all pixels are either pure black or pure white,
with no trace of any gray tone at all), and if you might be selecting LZW
file compression instead of G3 compression, then it possibly could be as much
as 150% size, although 130% seems more likely in my experience. And there are
other compression choices both larger or smaller. If you can select G4, it
will be even smaller than G3, but it may limit the choice of programs to read
it however, so you will want to do that test too.

--
Wayne
http://www.scantips.com "A few scanning tips"