high ping, and then disconnects

cypherkin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hi guys,

I have a 2.8ghz HT + 1gig ram + 9600 ATI 128mb .

its a ok setup that im working with. the problem is that I am running off of a wireless card. I have WinXp sp2. When i start up a game, it runs fine.. i get good ping of low 30s etc. but as i keep playing it jumps up to 60 -> 100 -> 150 -> 300 -> ~ 855 etc..

and the worst part, when it switches from 1 ping to another, i hve this massive lag during which time I cant even movie. I am running on a verizon DSL, using Westell modem (which provides wireless signal for my card). Now even when I run other games, I get the same results. UT2004, CS: Source, etc. If any of you guys have faced similar problems and were able to solve; please let me know.

Thank you.

PS: i cannot move tihs computer into the router room, otherwise I would have done soo long ago Smile.

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
I'd probably replace the router functionality of your westall all in one. Buy a wireless router and just have the modem do that function. Modulation. Routing and wireless would be done by a device you can control. So, if you owned the westell I'd say, make sure your firmware is up to date. If there is any priortizing traffic/shaping functionality play around with that. But since it sounds like it's the ISP's property I would definitely not try to get into the box's admin gui. WIReless routers, even decent ones, can be had for less that 50 bucks.