I can connect to access point but "CANNOT FIND INTERNET

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
I built a computer for a friend of mine. I've never set up a wireless connection before and am stuck.

Basically he has three computers already connected wirelessly to a Linksys WRT54G that all work fine.
The system I built him has a Linksys WMP54GS. I installed the latest drivers from online and used the "Step-By-Step" installation guide to connect to the WRT54G.

When the connection setup is done, the status message I get is somewhere along the lines of, "connected to access point, cannot find Internet"
The only time the internet is found is when I plug in a regular network wire from the router as well.

I'm new to wireless, so if anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it.
Thanks.

TC10284

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2001
Did you setup and encryption on the WRT54G such as 64 or 128bit WEP? If so, did you input that key into the system during the wireless connection setup?

I know if you don't put in the WEP key on the hosts, the WNIC (wireless network interface card) can connect to the access point but it won't be leased an IP which could be one reason why you are getting a message saying that you are connected to the AP but it "couldn't find the Internet".

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Did you setup and encryption on the WRT54G such as 64 or 128bit WEP? If so, did you input that key into the system during the wireless connection setup?

I know if you don't put in the WEP key on the hosts, the WNIC (wireless network interface card) can connect to the access point but it won't be leased an IP which could be one reason why you are getting a message saying that you are connected to the AP but it "couldn't find the Internet".

The WRT54G does have encryption. It's either 64 or 128bit WEP and I tried each one individually (ran the "step-by-step" installation wizard a few times) with the correct key in the system.

Would resetting the WRT54G help with anything?

TC10284

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2001
You can try that but it still sounds as if the proper WEP key is not correctly entered into the system.

Let us know...

riser

Illustrious
Log into the linksys, find out if it's using an Open or a Shared key, 64 or 128 bit encryption..

and find out what channel it's broadcasting off. Default is 6, but someone may have changed it to 1 or 11.

But with your error message, it sounds like the encryption key is wrong that you're entering.

site3op

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Check for how many DHCP clients are allowed on the router. I have a 54G also and was gettting frustrated trying to get a third PC connected wirelessly. After some checking, I found that I limited my clients to just two; changed it to three and was up and running...

imartinez09

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
I have the same problem, i have a linksys card and it does not connect to the internet. There is no encryption and its not limited to a certain amount of users. I cant connect even when I go to YMCA where they have free wireless with no encryption. When I connect using an ethernet cable directly to the router there is no problem, why is wireless so confusing and frustrating! Can some one please help.

minicoop

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
I was having the EXACT same problem. Bellsouth people didn't have a clue on how to help. I searched and found your forum. I changed the encryption to 128bit and changed the WEP with instant success! I'm so happy I found you guys! Thanks a bunch!!

LuluM

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2007
Hey guys i'm new here and need some help. my ISP provider was a DSL company named Sympatico whom i am n longer with. However, they supplied home networking 6520 modem/router which i ended up purchasing at the end. This is a modem / router all in one device. I have now switched to rogers and want to use this same router on my cable connection, can someone please help me? if u can email me or add me to msn. Thanks in advance :)

geostem

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
I tried all the tricks mentioned here to no avail. Then I remembered the old DOS command ipconfig/release, and ipconfig/renew. Apparently, the PC was still bound to some bad/invalid/none of the above IP addressing and this command freed and reset everything.
The PC is connected to the Internet now and I won't have to try
to sell the PCI adapter on eBay. All the other possible fixes mentioned here are very valid. This particular fix might just be unique to my situation, or it may help if you're experiencing the same type problem.

doruho

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Something else to try:

I have an old notebook with Win 2000 and a Linksys PCMCIA wireless-G card. It worked when I stashed it on a shelf a year ago, but today, when I pulled it out and fired it up, I had this same problem. Trying all the various suggestions did not help.

Then I decided to just remove the PC card (after clicking the "remove hardware" icon)and then put it back in. Bingo! It's happy.

G

oi u are bullshit man :pt1cable: