Sign in with
Your question

cant install card.....

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 14, 2006 12:32:16 PM

hey i just got my new ATI x800 XL agp card delivered yesterday but i dunno y its not giving ne display. I was using onboard graphics until now. I did the following:
1.uninstall onboard graphics driver
2.Put card in AGP slot
3.Connect monitor to card and try to start.....but all i get is a beep sound and no display on my monitor. Is it smthing to do with my PSU not being capable??
btw the card is allrite....tested it at a frnds place and my slot is also fine....tested my frnds card on my pc....plz helpppp

More about : install card

a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2006 12:58:48 PM

You have to go into your BIOS and turn off the onboard graphics off, then there may even be a menu much like your boot order for your drives, that you will have to set to tell the system which graphics adapter, (On- Board, AGP, PCI-E, PCI, etc) to look for first.
October 14, 2006 5:43:36 PM

Quote:
You have to go into your BIOS and turn off the onboard graphics off, then there may even be a menu much like your boot order for your drives, that you will have to set to tell the system which graphics adapter, (On- Board, AGP, PCI-E, PCI, etc) to look for first.

the only thing related to graphics which i could find in bios was this
PCI Plug and Play
Primary Graphics Adapter: AGP ultra/PCI/Onboard
Onchip VGA mode select: 512KB/1MB/256KB/disabled
Allocate IRQ to PCI VGA: Yes/No
PCI IDE Busmaster: Disabled

currently on AGP ultra,512 kb,yes,disabled

could'nt find nething else....wat shld i do??
One more thing ,putting onchip vga on disabled results in no boot at all, i had to remove jumper and reset after i had changed to disabled once
Related resources
October 16, 2006 4:59:22 PM

plzzz help me out ..... i am dying for a decent gaming experience since i 've missed out on all major games in the last 3years due the absence of a gpu..... :oops:  :oops: 
October 16, 2006 5:14:51 PM

Please let us know the make and model of you motherboard.

EDIT: Also, if your new graphics card has power connector, make sure it is plugged in.
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2006 5:43:24 PM

Quote:
the only thing related to graphics which i could find in bios was this
PCI Plug and Play
Primary Graphics Adapter: AGP ultra/PCI/Onboard
Onchip VGA mode select: 512KB/1MB/256KB/disabled
Allocate IRQ to PCI VGA: Yes/No
PCI IDE Busmaster: Disabled

currently on AGP ultra,512 kb,yes,disabled

Try selecting 'Disabled' for Onchip VGA mode select. Also, what are the specs for your PSU?
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 16, 2006 6:20:09 PM

The beeps may be because the Video card needs reseating.
Remove the video card and reinsert it even if it looks properly installed.
Happened to me too.
a b U Graphics card
October 17, 2006 6:22:20 AM

Please give us your computer specs: motherboard, cpu, PSU, so we can help troubleshoot the issue(s).
October 17, 2006 8:53:32 AM

Quote:
Please give us your computer specs: motherboard, cpu, PSU, so we can help troubleshoot the issue(s).
Ok here it is:

Field Value
CPU Properties
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 1800 MHz (18 x 100)
CPU Alias Northwood, A80532
CPU Stepping C1
Instruction Set x86, MMX, SSE, SSE2
Original Clock 1800 MHz
Min / Max CPU Multiplier 18x / 18x
Engineering Sample No
L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
L1 Data Cache 8 KB
L2 Cache 512 KB (On-Die, ECC, ATC, Full-Speed)

CPU Physical Info
Package Type 478 Pin uPGA
Package Size 3.50 cm x 3.50 cm
Transistors 55 million
Process Technology 6M, 0.13 um, CMOS, Cu, Low-K
Die Size 131 mm2
Core Voltage 1.475 - 1.55 V
I/O Voltage 1.475 - 1.55 V
Typical Power 38.7 - 89.0 W (depending on clock speed)
Maximum Power 49 - 109 W (depending on clock speed)

the motherboard is a PI845GVM- AGP model mercury mainboard,socket 478 with one AGP ultra slot.

This is wat the PSU label said:
300w
15A on +12V
October 17, 2006 4:57:34 PM

You might have better luck e-mailing Mercury's tech support on this. The manual for the PI845GVM- AGP (do you have V1.0 or V5.0?) keeps refering to the AGP slot as an AGP Ultra slot. I have a suspicion it's some sort of hybrid slot which may or may not be fully AGP compatible.

You said you tested your friends AGP card with the board and it works. What type of card was it?

Unfortunately any help the manuals offer is limited. The AGP card compatibility chart in them is outdated and the website is no help at all either.

The PSU could be the issue too, that's why I want to know what type of AGP card your friend has that you tested with the board. However, I think this may be more of a compatibility issue. Like I said earlier, your best bet would be to contact Mercury directly.
October 18, 2006 2:46:02 PM

Quote:
You might have better luck e-mailing Mercury's tech support on this. The manual for the PI845GVM- AGP (do you have V1.0 or V5.0?) keeps refering to the AGP slot as an AGP Ultra slot. I have a suspicion it's some sort of hybrid slot which may or may not be fully AGP compatible.

You said you tested your friends AGP card with the board and it works. What type of card was it?

Unfortunately any help the manuals offer is limited. The AGP card compatibility chart in them is outdated and the website is no help at all either.

The PSU could be the issue too, that's why I want to know what type of AGP card your friend has that you tested with the board. However, I think this may be more of a compatibility issue. Like I said earlier, your best bet would be to contact Mercury directly.
this is wat ati replied with wen i sent them my pb:
Solution:

Please make sure the onboard video of your motherboard (if you have one) is disabled before you install the video card

The correct procedure to install an ATI card in a computer that has Onboard video is:

- Start with onboard video (ATI card not in the computer yet)

- Disable (not uninstall) onboard video on the device manager (right click on the controler under "Displays adapter and disable it"

- Shut down computer, Install the ATI card and plug your monitor to it, start your system and go to your BIOS settings.

- If in the BIOS there is an option to disable the onboard VGA, do it, if not Choose as the primary video adapter the ATI card (AGP,PCI Express or PCI) save and exit.

- Cancel all the attempts that windows makes to install drivers to your system.

- Install drivers for the ATI cards using the CD or an updated driver (instructions at www.ati.com/install) and restart

Please make sure your power supply meets the power requirements of the card, in most cases the recommended power supply wattage is 350 Watts or greater

Please test all the outputs of the card. DVI-I (with the DVI to VGA adapter if necessary), VGA, SVIDEO with different monitors if possible.

Please reseat the card and remove all other cards in your system

Make sure you have the latest BIOS installed for your motherboard.

Please make sure you have the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard. These are not the video card drivers but rather the drivers of the slot where the video card sits. These can be obtained from your motherboard manufacturer's website or the company that manufactured the chipset on your motherboard (Intel, Via, Ali, Sis, Ati, Nvidia, etc)

really does nt help ne bit
October 18, 2006 5:13:14 PM

Sorry dude, but you need to answer my question first:

Quote:

Also, I said you should e-mail Mercury for help. This board could possibly have a hybrid (or limited) AGP slot and may only support certain graphic cards. Mercury's website is vague which is why you should try contacting them directly to help shed some more light on the subject. Their website is slow but it does work so be patient with it. Make sure to provide them with as much information as possible about the graphics card in question.
October 18, 2006 6:04:08 PM

Quote:
Sorry dude, but you need to answer my question first:

Also, I said you should e-mail Mercury for help. This board could possibly have a hybrid (or limited) AGP slot and may only support certain graphic cards. Mercury's website is vague which is why you should try contacting them directly to help shed some more light on the subject. Their website is slow but it does work so be patient with it. Make sure to provide them with as much information as possible about the graphics card in question.I have already submitted a customer support ticket to them thru the site but have nt got ne reply from them even though its been a week now. Really their service is dreadful and i vow never to buy ne part frm them again.....
October 18, 2006 7:02:20 PM

Sound like the card is not properly seated or that the card required extra power.

October 23, 2006 9:13:54 AM

hey i called a technician and he says its bcoz the 845 chipset motherboard cant handle such a high end card and suggests an upgrade.....so i am thinking or rehauling the whole system by getting a new mobo and processor....how much better will an INTEL 2.66GHz Dual core be over my current P4 1.8ghz single core??
October 23, 2006 7:57:24 PM

I think the "technician" is partially right. Like I noted earlier, you might have some sort of hybrid AGP slot on the board so it may only support certain types of 8X AGP cards as Mercury's site did list support for certain 8X AGP cards. Possibly due to power requirements.

Intel notes that the standard 845 supports only AGP 4X, but it doesn't list the AGP info for the 854GV so Mercury could've Rube Goldberged 8X support.

If you're planning upgrading, why don't you give us a budget so we can provide you with accurate info.
!