4 Pin ATX 12v Connector (A8N-SLI Deluxe)

Can someone please explain why I need (or do I?) to connect my PSU to the 4 pin ATX 12v, 4 pin connector on my A8N-SLI Deluxe. My brand new PSU (Silverstone Zeus 650w) does not even have a 4 pin cable.

I obviously have the 24 pin main power supply cable going to the mobo. I just don't understand the difference.

I was fortunate to find an 8 pin to 4 pin connector in my bag of left over goodies from other projects so I CAN make the connection but I'd like to avoid this if possible. How important is this connector? Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about connector deluxe
  1. The 4 pin ATX power is a direct feed for the CPU, so fairly important... I would not expect the PC to boot without it...
  2. Thanks, I think I've got it. So the 4 pin provides power directly to the CPU whereas the 24 pin main power connector is what gives power to the overall motherboard? If so then I can certainly see it's necessity.
  3. Then I wonder why a nicer PSU like the SS Zeus that I have would not come with a 4 pin feed from the PSU? Granted, I have a 8 pin to 4 pin adapter (not provided by them), it just seems strange to me.
  4. The 8 pin (atx power v2.1) replaces the old 4 pin (atx power v2.0) spec... What you have done is correct - with a converter, but I am surprised that the PSU did not come with one tbh
  5. I just purchased a similar configuration:

650w SS Zeus and an A8N-SLI Delux. No square 4 pin coming from the power supply. Is there somewhere that I can purchase an adapter? I also live in Southern Oregon. In the boonies between Medford and Roseburg.

www.singingfalls.com Umpqua National Forest

Any help is appreciated.
  6. Solved the problem. Found an adapter laying around. Seems that either SS or ASUS should throw one of those in just for customer convenience.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Connection SLI ATX Motherboards