Sign in with
Your question

4 Pin ATX 12v Connector (A8N-SLI Deluxe)

Last response: in Motherboards
October 14, 2006 12:53:33 PM

Can someone please explain why I need (or do I?) to connect my PSU to the 4 pin ATX 12v, 4 pin connector on my A8N-SLI Deluxe. My brand new PSU (Silverstone Zeus 650w) does not even have a 4 pin cable.

I obviously have the 24 pin main power supply cable going to the mobo. I just don't understand the difference.

I was fortunate to find an 8 pin to 4 pin connector in my bag of left over goodies from other projects so I CAN make the connection but I'd like to avoid this if possible. How important is this connector? Thanks.
October 14, 2006 1:43:42 PM

The 4 pin ATX power is a direct feed for the CPU, so fairly important... I would not expect the PC to boot without it...
October 14, 2006 2:39:26 PM

Thanks, I think I've got it. So the 4 pin provides power directly to the CPU whereas the 24 pin main power connector is what gives power to the overall motherboard? If so then I can certainly see it's necessity.
Related resources
October 14, 2006 2:41:43 PM

Then I wonder why a nicer PSU like the SS Zeus that I have would not come with a 4 pin feed from the PSU? Granted, I have a 8 pin to 4 pin adapter (not provided by them), it just seems strange to me.
October 14, 2006 9:19:37 PM

The 8 pin (atx power v2.1) replaces the old 4 pin (atx power v2.0) spec... What you have done is correct - with a converter, but I am surprised that the PSU did not come with one tbh
October 29, 2006 8:24:22 PM

I just purchased a similar configuration:

650w SS Zeus and an A8N-SLI Delux. No square 4 pin coming from the power supply. Is there somewhere that I can purchase an adapter? I also live in Southern Oregon. In the boonies between Medford and Roseburg.

www.singingfalls.com Umpqua National Forest

Any help is appreciated.
October 29, 2006 10:03:04 PM

Solved the problem. Found an adapter laying around. Seems that either SS or ASUS should throw one of those in just for customer convenience.
!