Need help connecting!

Chenmaster

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
I have an uncommon networking setup at my house. My internet is in the living room but my two other computers are in a different room. Right now I have a router and two wireless adapters to connect these. I want to add a third computer and include it in the network but am tired of adapters. I would like to somehow hardwire all my computers into a device (via ethernet) and the device would wirelessly recieve and distribute internet access from my router?

Is there a such a device? I think a wireless switch is what I need but am not sure. I have read that another router would not work since you can only have one in a network and I don't want to get a network bridge. What is it that I am looking for? Thanks.

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
There is no wireless switch. Just doesn't exist but if you want to use a device to associate to a parent AP, your existing wireless router, then distribute that connection to wired and/or wireless clients then you would use a bridge. Specifically a workgroup bridge. If you buy an AP it would need to support client mode IF your AP doesn't support WDS. If it does then just buy any WDS compatible device. Non WDS compiant gear would bridge to wired clients OR repeat to wireless clients but not both. WDS gear will do both at the same time.

Chenmaster

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Thanks for your help. I'm not sure if I understood correctly but I need a router and either a workgroup bridge or an access point? Is WDS or client mode an unusaul feature? My router is a D-link DI-524.

Also I was thinking about buying a wireless print server with a built-in switch. Would that work?