Does intel have 64 bit processors for Laptops?

lazer

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Hi i am considering to buy a laptop and it is important for me that my future laptop to have full 64 bit processing capability and i wanted to now that if intel has a 64 bit processor for laptops and if yes what is the difference between AMD's 64 bit cpus and INTEL's?and if they will run vista 64 bit or not?

Thanks in advance :D

MadScot

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Yes, Intel does. Core 2 Duo. My laptop has an T7200 C2D (2GHz 4mb L2) and its running 64-bit Vista (RC2) very nicely indeed :D

There are minor differences between Intel and AMD implementations of 64 bit instructions, but C2D is so fast, it doesn't really matter...

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Yes, the new "Memrom" Core 2 Duo Laptop's have EMT64. Although there is very little noticeable differences in them because Intel basically Reverse-engineered AMD technology so there would be very negligible or even ignorable differences If you Put Comparable Labtops head-2-head

bga

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Hi i am considering to buy a laptop and it is important for me that my future laptop to have full 64 bit processing capability and i wanted to now that if intel has a 64 bit processor for laptops

Yes, all Core2Duo (Merom core) is 64bit (EM64T as Intel calls it) capable.
The processors got the T7X00 and T5X00 numbers, with the T5X00 series having slower clocks and only 2MB cache. Please note that the Core (T2XXX) series do NOT have 64bit capability.

and if yes what is the difference between AMD's 64 bit cpus and INTEL's?
There are only very small differences between the AMD and Intel 64 implementations. As a programmer, you don't need to target one or the other.

and if they will run vista 64 bit or not?
Yes, Vista 64bit will run on both AMD and Intel.

AKIRA972

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
Hi i am considering to buy a laptop and it is important for me that my future laptop to have full 64 bit processing capability and i wanted to now that if intel has a 64 bit processor for laptops and if yes what is the difference between AMD's 64 bit cpus and INTEL's?and if they will run vista 64 bit or not?

What people have forgot to tell you is that C2DUO is so much more expensive - I bought HP DV 2000 with TURION X2 and it cost me 950$ it was last month - The core 2 wasn't even in stores! The price is too high. Buy the Turion X2 and you will be happy and save yourself money. If money is not a problem then go buy C2D.

ivan_lee05

Distinguished
May 19, 2006

What people have forgot to tell you is that C2DUO is so much more expensive - I bought HP DV 2000 with TURION X2 and it cost me 950$ it was last month - The core 2 wasn't even in stores! The price is too high. Buy the Turion X2 and you will be happy and save yourself money. If money is not a problem then go buy C2D.

have you heard about the performance/watts/price you flame-bait boy...

ofcourse, turion X2 will be much innexpensive because it cant beat the merom or even the yonah core..

Speaking from experince I have botha Turion X2 and a Core 2 Duo from HP. Almost the exact same thing. Both 17" widescreens, 2Gb RAM, 256 NVIDIA cards, both running at 2.2GHz. They were basically in the same price range. The difference was something in the range of $150 to $200.

As someone who has benched and run these two exact same dv Series laptops let me be the first to say that for the $200 extra the Core 2 will run rings around the Turion X2. It has better heat output, better energy economy and better performance. To say contrary would be foolish.

The X2 is in no way a bad laptop processor, but for the money, anyone would be better off getting the Core 2.

Now just drop the insults please....

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I got an Acer Turion64x2 for $800

-Turionx2 tl-50 (1.6ghz)
-1 gig ram (4-4-4-12 timings w/ cache latency of 4)
-128mb shared ATI xpress 1100 (basically an x200 equivilant to x300)
-Windows XP MCE
-15.4" screen 1280x800 res
-8 cell battery (1337)
-Built in mic
-Built in webcam w/ 270degree rotation
-120gb hd
-Runs all my games at medium settings with 1280x768 including F.E.A.R and Counter-Strike: Source.
-Runs F.E.A.R. and CS: S unplugged from the wall for a little over 2hours with max screen brightness before the battery dies :)
-Pics up a better wireless signal than my friends HP :), and the picture quality looks much better than his.

Circuit City had priced it wrong in the ad for only $800 (it's a $1000 laptop) so I got it before they changed it.

I bought mine about 2 months ago...right after the x2 notebooks got released.

Here is the 2gb version
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834115274

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
OH YEAH, I forgot to mension that my laptop runs really really really cool, even while playing game. I can put my hand under the laptop and all I feel is cool plastic....no heat.

That is another plus :)

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I've played that gay oblivion game, I dont care how good people say it is. I don't like single player...when you kill stuff (npc's) their script just ends...snoozefest

I play WOW because I like to know that when I kill alliance there is some guy in real life that is pissed off at me :)..I get off on that.

Besides, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is sooo much better than that gay oblivion game because it uses a lot of physx, weapon stances are sweet, and it come with an intense multiplayer mode.

-my opinion

BMFM

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Just be careful when you order. This could be an exaggeration from my part (and sound like a lame advice), but there are still quite a few Core (1) Duos in stores. They do not support 64bit.

Remember: order a Core 2 Duo.

Or you specifically request for 64bit support, then it will not be a problem.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well getting ready to buy a 3 laptop. I m aiming for vista ready laptop with a 256mb video card. 160gb hard drive. I found going to small tech stores you seem to get better deals then Dell or Bust buy.

I wanted a laptop that can be upgraded if need be.

Upgradeable cpu. Big computer chains like Dell acer make there chips so you can't upgrade. So they dont have to replace someone dumb mistake of putting a wrong chip and frying the computer.

Ram. Big computer chains like dell use 2 512 chips vers 1 gb so when you upgrade you waste 2 512 chips Vers 1gb chips. Yes one gb chip will be slower untel I get a secondary 1gb. Due to the fact it core 2 chip.

Find a setup that supports up to 160gb hard disks for later

Dvi setups Most stores like best buy, or stables only have vga setup. It funny going why are you trying to sell 8 year old out dated tech.

So when I get this basic setup I will buy the secondary ram chip. Then in months ahead I will go for faster cpu and larger hard drive.

I beleave I will be able to save $800 on a laptop.