Computer wont boot up :(

KaderHashmi

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Hi Guys,

Ive bought loads of new kti to make a new computer at home. Only problem is ive never done it before and i think ive cocked up somewhere along the line.
ive got:

2.6 LGA775 Core 2 Duo processor
West Cav 400gb sata hdd
geforce 7950gx2 vid card
gigabyte GA-8I945GMH-RH mobo
creative xi-fi sound card
580W psu
PC2-4200 crucial 2gb memory
(dont know if ive forgotten anything else relevant to my prob)

the problem im getting is that when i power on, the heatsink fan, rear exhaust fan and a system fan will start to work but nothing else does. i get no display on my monitor and i get no beeps or anything.

i was first told that my mobo had gone and so i ordered a new one and that also did exactly the same thing - no display etc. i was then told it may be my power supply and so i ordered this 580W hiper psu to replace the crappy one my case came with. but this also did not solve the problem. i was then told it may be the cpu (i cant afford a new cpu) but before i replace it i want to be sure that it is the only possibility.

a solution came to me - i was using PC2-4200 ram and my mobo supports PC2-4300 (my mistake when i ordered the parts). but what i want to know is -

1) have i fried the 2 mobos i have used so far or are they still ok - ie they just dont power up because of wrong ram or have they blown and are unusable?

2) the PC2-4200 ram im using - has that blown by my using it in the wrong mobo - is it unusable?

3) am i completely wrong with the above and is it something else completely.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE - if anyone knows the answer to this i would greatly appreciate a reply :?

KaderHashmi

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
i have done research on this and it definately does support the core 2 duo. many websites say the same thing. as i mentioned - about the mobo and ram - are they now unusable or will new PC2-4300 ram sort everything out?

uniaudio

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
I just looked at Gigabyte's website. I'm pretty sure it doesn't support the C2Duo.
To quote their specs "Optimized for Intel® Pentium® D Dual Core processors, the GA-8I945GMH-RH provides multi-core functionality. "

Notice, "Pentium D Dual core" and "core2Duo" are NOT the same thing.
Can anyone else confirm?

KaderHashmi

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
shit - your are quite right - sorry!
so now my problem is finding a mobo that is compatible with core 2 duo, my 7950 gx2 vid card and my ram PC2-4200! ive been looking around but cant seem to find anything.

more importantly - is any of the stuff i have currently got damaged at all? especially the ram and the mobo? this is the most important question right now - please let me know. thanks.

uniaudio

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
I really doubt you've damaged anything. This stuff is more resiliant than you may think. I personally have a P965-DS3 and have had great luck with it. The newest BIOS revisions are quite stable. Any ASUS, GIGA, MSI or Intel board should be fine, I suspect. I personally don't pay much attention to anecdotal evidence, as it can be misleading.
Good luck.

KaderHashmi

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Thanks uniaudio! one last question in that case then - will i be able to return these items to the shops i got them from. i bought the ram from ebuyer and mobo from dabs. there is nothing on the websites that tell if an item has been opened but is not damaged or faulty - if they can be returned. i know you are not a member of their sales teams (or maybe your are) but in your past experiences, do you think i will have problems returning these items? im pretty sure they are not damaged and i still have all the boxes and invoices etc and ive had them no more than 12days. its just the fact that they have been opened and are not factory sealed any more. what do you think?

uniaudio

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
I'm sorry I don't have any answers re: their return policy. Maybe you can buy a compatable MOBO and see if everything else works? If it does, you're set.
Good luck.