Sign in with
Your question

Need Help Recovering Data from HD

Last response: in Storage
October 14, 2006 6:16:55 PM

Hi,

Lurker turned into poster :D 

I have a question for you guys. I had a Desktop with Win2k which started to have HDD problesm. The HDD never really went dead. I was just starting to get warnings (via s.m.a.r.t.) and having trouble readign/writing to it.

I got another HDD and my copy of Win2k was damaged so I could not install. I got a copy of XP and installed that on the new HDD. everything is ok with the machine now but I want to recover the data.

I did a backup with Nero but it can't recover (I also guess because of the OS difference)

I then bought an external enclosure but the XP machine is not recognizing it? Maybe because of the different OS.

Do I need to have a machine with Win2K connected to the hard drive enclosure?

Thanks in advance.

More about : recovering data

October 14, 2006 6:25:12 PM

Quote:

I did a backup with Nero but it can't recover (I also guess because of the OS difference)

What exactly did you do? How did you make a backup w/Nero? Onto what? Before or after your disk probs? How exactly did you try to recover? What exactly happened?

Quote:
I then bought an external enclosure but the XP machine is not recognizing it? Maybe because of the different OS.

What kind of hard drive (brand/model number) did you have the problems with? What kind of external enclosure (brand/model number)? What exactly did you do to try to recognize it? How did you connect it to your now-fixed machine? Was the drive enclosure turned on or off?
October 14, 2006 8:35:29 PM

1) There is no reason why a drive from any other Windows OS couldn't be recognized by XP.

If the drive isn't showing up in disc manager you have a real problem.

2) Use True Image 9 for backups. Its cheap, its the best. It handles both partition level and folder level backups. If you need more advanced folder level backups use Retrospect 7.5

I have no idea why you can't open your Nero backups. Maybe its a version compatiblity issue.

3) Get Data Back for NTFS 3.01 is what I currently use to recover data from a damaged hard drive/file system. It will take forever, but it will work.

Advanced recovery software ignores the partition and files systems and just look at the raw sectors.

Your data is never truely gone until something else overwrites it.

If the drive too badly damaged then your only recourse is professional data recovery where they remount the platters into a compatible hard drive in a clean room environment.
Related resources
October 14, 2006 9:34:36 PM

Quote:

What exactly did you do? How did you make a backup w/Nero? Onto what? Before or after your disk probs? How exactly did you try to recover? What exactly happened?

I did the backup on Nero to DVDs 5 in total. I tried to recover two times. The first time it said something about the name of the files being incompatible.
The second time it took about an hour to go thru the first DVD and then some files would not decompress. I forgot the error but it was soemthing about bein unable to read the file. This process took a long (more than 6 hrs IIRC) time and I gave up. I did the backup right after I started having trouble.

Quote:

What kind of hard drive (brand/model number) did you have the problems with? What kind of external enclosure (brand/model number)? What exactly did you do to try to recognize it? How did you connect it to your now-fixed machine? Was the drive enclosure turned on or off?

The HDD is a WD120JB. The enclosure is a cheapo one I got from Fry's brand Moving Star. the interface is USB. I just connected it to my XP machine that was already on and I expected it for find it. I will try it rebooting with the HDD enclosure on and see what happens
October 14, 2006 11:57:30 PM

The only time you should need to use USB enclosure is if the system won't startup, the drive isn't seen by the BIOS or the system crashes whenever the drive is connected internally.

1) Connect internally, watch the BIOS to see if the drive is detected, and check diskmgmt.msc again.

2) If the partitions are visible to disk management and are healthy are you need to do is assign drive letters.

3) If the drive shows up, but with no healthy partitions you need to use Get Data Back for NTFS or a similar utility.

Anything that isn't stored on an unreadable sector and hasn't been overwritten by a newer file can be recovered.

4) If you are having problems that you think would be solved using a USB enclosure make test the enclosure first on a working drive. Enclosures break. I have had to rewire mine more than once.

Also I am assuming you always double check all the jumper settings, cables ...
October 23, 2006 1:23:06 AM

Thanks for your respones. I couldn't work on this until this weekend. I tried some of the things recommend in this thread but still no go.

I tried connecting the drive in question internally but windows can no start because some system files are missing or corrupt. I tried rebotting a couple of times and would not get past the windows start up screen.

Bios does see the drive though.

I also gave my my Win2k CD a good clean. Now I am able to use it. I tried using the Repair function as recommend by the error messages I got but did not get anywhere since it could not find the required files.

I want to exhaust all options I can do at home before sending this drive for recovery

BTW I also did try another drive on the USB enclosure and it works just fine.

Also I tried the Get Data Back utility and could not get anything. It would only see the primary drive Seagate 250GB (the bad drive was attached via the USB enclosure). Sometimes XP would see the two partitions on the bad drive sometimes it wouldn't but XP would hang when trying to access them. One weird thing I noticed was that the primary OS partition on the bad drive showed empty.

Is there anything else I can try?
October 23, 2006 2:33:39 AM

Quote:
I want to exhaust all options I can do at home before sending this drive for recovery

Just note that unless you 100% understand the details of what you are doing, trying options at home may further damage/overwrite some of the data on your drive. If the data on it is worth sending the drive to a recovery service, it's worthwhile doing so now, as it's clearly not a trivial malfunction.
October 23, 2006 3:43:15 AM

You may want to give spinrite a try.

you can get it here

If it doesn't work then contact the sales dept. and destroy your copy and they will refund you. It sould repair your hard drive enough for you to get your data off of it. good luck.
October 23, 2006 3:44:10 AM

I had a similar problem with a friends NTFS partition not being recognized (the hard drive was not bad however)... turns out Norton Ghost somehow made other installations of Windoze unable to recognize the partition as an NTFS partition. I was only able to recover the data using linux :?

Anyway, regardless of the problem, I would try mounting the partition under linux, knoppix is fairly user friendly and should come with FAT, FAT32, and at least read only NTFS support.

If you are familiar with linux there are other commands you can try such as dd.
October 23, 2006 6:49:20 PM

Quote:

Just note that unless you 100% understand the details of what you are doing, trying options at home may further damage/overwrite some of the data on your drive. If the data on it is worth sending the drive to a recovery service, it's worthwhile doing so now, as it's clearly not a trivial malfunction.

Yeah that is probably what I will do. the data is important thus tryting to recover it.

So how much can I expect to pay for this service?

Any recommended places for data recovery/

Most sites don't advertise their price. However most claim no cahrge if no data recovered

Should I stick with WD partners or does it not matter? I don't recall if my HD has warranty leftover but at least it's been 3 or more years. I don't have the receipt.
!