Sign in with
Your question

Copper XP-90c too much weight on motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
October 14, 2006 6:27:33 PM

As you reply, know that I have it in my hand. I got it from BestByte this week... they always seem to beat newegg by $5.00 or more on their copper heatsinks, so I often get fans and heatsinks from BestByte.

The XP-90c seems like an awesome heatsink, but I read some posts where people were saying the XP-90 one was still better because it was lighter. I have used several of the high end copper Thurmalright heatsinks in the past (SK7, SLK900a, SP-97), and I know not to transport the computers in the upright positions, etc.

I should have posted this question two weeks ago, but I do want my motherboard to be able to handle the weight.
October 14, 2006 7:18:18 PM

Your motherboard should be able to handle the weight of this cooler. I'm sure the manufacturer have thought of this. I have used the Thermaltake Big Typhoon, and it's heavy and it extends out more that adds more weight to it. But my motherboard handled it nicely. Again there's no reason for you to worry about the cooler breaking the mobo.
October 14, 2006 7:30:09 PM

I have one of these on an Intel D955XBK, and if I were to do-over I'd probably get the Zalman 9500.

The Thermalright was not fun at all to install. The forces required to get the retention springs on are easily enough to punch a screwdriver through a couple of layers on your mobo if you're not careful. I managed to avoid that, but only just.

I may have to remove it when I ship my computer in a couple of months because I fear it's heavy enough to cause cracks on the mobo when shipped over road bumps. The Mobo lays flat (it's an HTPC w/ SST LC16M-B case), but acceleration forces and vibration could be enough to cause a problem.

I'm not looking forward to that, nor to the remounting I'll have to do afterwards. In my case, remounting will mean a complete rebuild, because of what it takes to get the HS on.

One other thing: It fits funny on the CPU. One edge of the cooler is nearly aligned with the socket, and the other edge hangs far over something else on your mobo. If you have a tall NB heatsink, you may only have a couple of options for orientation, which might then put this cooler very close to your case fans, your PSU, or something else.

The broad fin surfaces are prone to dust collection, so be sure you have good filtration in place or it will lose effectiveness rapidly.

As I noted above, if I were to do-over, I'd use the Zalman.
Related resources
October 14, 2006 8:36:22 PM

Maybe it will fit a S939 board a little better--fingers crossed. The XP-90 is what that AG guy from dfi-street uses in his picture guide.
October 14, 2006 8:59:21 PM

Thankfully PCB is actually much stronger than most people give it credit for. I wouldn't worry about a heavy cooler "breaking" a board, although over time I might worry about it causing the board to warp... especially my crappy ECS which is much more flexible than other mobos I've used.

-mcg
!