  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
September 22, 2005 4:09:29 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I live on a ranch, and my house is about 300 feet from a rice dryer (about
100 feet tall). I have permission to put an antenna on the top of the
structure, just to clear that up. I want to set up a wireless
network/internet connection with a neighbor who is about 6200 feet away
(point-to-point). My neighbor has the internet connection, and is up to the
idea of sharing his bandwidth. I want to do this on a tight budget, so I am
looking for recommendations on reasonably priced AP's/other equipment. I am
looking at the 24DBi parabolic mesh antennas, and running short pigtails to
the AP's, placing them in a weatherproof enclosure at each location. The
antenna on my end has to be up at the top of the structure to overcome LOS
issues, so it is not a possibility to put it closer to my home. I do not
know how to connect my home to the wireless connection. I do have a clear
LOS from the top of the dryer to my house. Any help/suggestions are greatly
appreciated.

Tim

More about : mile wireless setup question

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 22, 2005 11:27:52 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Not a big deal:

Look into a bridge that is rated at 100 mW. Make sure that it can stand
up to the heat/cold of your area.

For the antennae, look into http://www.hyperlinktech.com

They have good prices, good equipment.

As far as the connection to your house, you could look into some
outdoor ethernet cable.

Chris
September 24, 2005 4:21:54 AM

Tim Davis wrote:
> I live on a ranch, and my house is about 300 feet from a rice dryer (about
> 100 feet tall). I have permission to put an antenna on the top of the
> structure, just to clear that up. I want to set up a wireless
> network/internet connection with a neighbor who is about 6200 feet away
> (point-to-point). My neighbor has the internet connection, and is up to the
> idea of sharing his bandwidth. I want to do this on a tight budget, so I am
> looking for recommendations on reasonably priced AP's/other equipment. I am
> looking at the 24DBi parabolic mesh antennas, and running short pigtails to
> the AP's, placing them in a weatherproof enclosure at each location. The
> antenna on my end has to be up at the top of the structure to overcome LOS
> issues, so it is not a possibility to put it closer to my home. I do not
> know how to connect my home to the wireless connection. I do have a clear
> LOS from the top of the dryer to my house. Any help/suggestions are greatly
> appreciated.

You're going overkill on the antenna, no need for a 24dbi parabolic on
either end. Look on eBay for Tranzeo outdoor equipment, especially those
that have the built in antenna. No pigtails to run, much less chance of
moisture screwing things up. You could hit a mile and a half with 12 or
13dbi built in antennas on each end. All you'll need to run to the
equipment is a standard Cat5 cable which is using POE (power over
ethernet). Very simple, very reliable.

Go to the Tranzeo website for further info, ignore their suggested
retail prices, can be had for much less.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 24, 2005 4:21:55 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Thanks!! I will check out the Tranzeo site and will update my post when I
select my equipment. I am sure that I will have some configuration
questions.

T.
"Rôgêr" <abuse@your.isp.com> wrote in message
> Tim Davis wrote:
>> I live on a ranch, and my house is about 300 feet from a rice dryer
>> (about 100 feet tall). I have permission to put an antenna on the top of
>> the structure, just to clear that up. I want to set up a wireless
>> network/internet connection with a neighbor who is about 6200 feet away
>> (point-to-point). My neighbor has the internet connection, and is up to
>> the idea of sharing his bandwidth. I want to do this on a tight budget,
>> so I am looking for recommendations on reasonably priced AP's/other
>> equipment. I am looking at the 24DBi parabolic mesh antennas, and
>> running short pigtails to the AP's, placing them in a weatherproof
>> enclosure at each location. The antenna on my end has to be up at the
>> top of the structure to overcome LOS issues, so it is not a possibility
>> to put it closer to my home. I do not know how to connect my home to the
>> wireless connection. I do have a clear LOS from the top of the dryer to
>> my house. Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.
>
> You're going overkill on the antenna, no need for a 24dbi parabolic on
> either end. Look on eBay for Tranzeo outdoor equipment, especially those
> that have the built in antenna. No pigtails to run, much less chance of
> moisture screwing things up. You could hit a mile and a half with 12 or
> 13dbi built in antennas on each end. All you'll need to run to the
> equipment is a standard Cat5 cable which is using POE (power over
> ethernet). Very simple, very reliable.
>
> Go to the Tranzeo website for further info, ignore their suggested retail
> prices, can be had for much less.
September 24, 2005 6:18:13 AM

Tim Davis wrote:
> Thanks!! I will check out the Tranzeo site and will update my post when I
> select my equipment. I am sure that I will have some configuration
> questions.

The main question is the POE to the rice dryer. You could run plain old
Cat5 to the rice dryer, maybe even higher up on it and then introduce
the power over ethernet. POE doesn't work well for long distances. But I
could see having this link up and running between breakfast and lunch
and then go square dancing for a wild Tuesday evening.
December 9, 2005 12:48:42 AM

We use Tranzeo stuff, and the cheapest solution is the TR-CPE80. The problem would be that the CPE80 is a bridge only. You cannot do ad-hoc (point to point) connections with them. It will only connect to an AP, and since they don't have an AP mode you are kinda stuck there.

Your friend is going to need an access point on his end. The Senao CB3 is a good unit that can used in AP or Bridge mode and it has a 200mw output. From there, you could use a Tranzeo on the Rice Tower to point to a Senao set up at your buddies place (with a dish pointed to the Tranzeo from his place), then you could in turn put another Senao on up there in a weatherproof box connecting to another dish pointing to your house... in AP mode again... then a Tranzeo CPE80 on your place pointing to the Senao fed dish on the Rice Tower. You may be able to get away with a smaller antenna like a 15db backfire since the distance is less than a mile (I assume) for this link. The Tranzeo and Senao are BOTH POE compatible.

So in the end, you would need...

2 Tranzeo units
2 Senao CB3 units
1 19dbi Parabolic Dish (from his house to tower)
1 15dbi backfire antenna.

That setup would ensure full bandwidth. You could also use a repeater unit, but it cuts bandwidth in half. There are some new repeater units that are basically what I described as what you need on the tower.. all in one unit. I am not sure if they are a better option.

If this is a one time investment that will stick, I would recommend the Tranzeo TR-CPE200. It is a better performing unit with a 200mw card inside of it (all in one unit as well). The card inside is a Senao AP3 unit in all reality. I tore one apart once to replace the keystone.

Hope that helps
Don
July 16, 2007 3:30:42 PM

thanks you,
i been looking for a thread like this so i can share bandwidth with a friend of mine but i have a couple questions:
if i use the setup above, will others people(with laptop lived near me or down the road) see the my ethernet connection?, i dont want others to see my wifi , is there other more secure choice? and what can i do to increase the speed to 54Mbp. thanks in advance
!