Nvidia 6150 video out support

etudesystems

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
I purchased a motherboard that contains nivida 6150 GPU. The only video out port on the motherboard is SVGA. I want to use a TV as the monitor but the TV has no SVGA input . The TV does have composite video and S-video inputs. I would prefer to use the on-board 6150 and not to have to buy a graphis card to get TV out capability. My basic application is playback of recorded video (PVR). The video capture card I purchased does not have video out. What are my options? Are there SVGA to S-video converters? PCI S-video output card? Looking for the cheapest solution.

uwisuwerme7

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
I tried s video on my 32 inch HD tv. Looked like crap.
I could make the pictures out but text was impossible.
VGA is the lowest connection you want to use.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
There is no VGA to S-Video converter.

Your going to have to buy a graphics card with a TV-out. You can find one for under 50$. But the quality, as was said is awfull while using the TV-out to S-Video cable, dosent matter what TV u have.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Unless your TV is an HDTV, composite output or S-video is the best resolution you're gonna be able to display at, which really doesn't look good. It's okay enough for watching videos but not of a high enough resolution for actual use as a PC moniter.

If you have a regular TV and only want an S-video connection for watching clips on your TV, buy an entry-level PCIe graphics card. I suggest an X300, as ATI has much better TV-OUT functionality. Many of them have s-video output, and sell for around next to nothing on ebay. It's truly the cheapest route for SDTV.

If you have an HDTV, you could see if your TV currently supports RGBHV component input. It probably won't, but you could look. If not, some ATI models of cards support HD output with the purchase of ATI's component output dongle. Only certain models of ATI cards can do this however, and no, I don't know which PCIe cards can (on the AGP side, the old Radeon 8500 is an excellent choice). I've read that the Nvidia 6600GT also had built-in HD output, so that always a choice. Buying a dedicated graphics card is the cheapest route to HD resolutions from your computer. The only other alternative is to purchase a transcoder that converts your RGBHV signal from your VGA's D-SUB into a usable traditional YUV output for your HDTV, but those cost around $200. Actually, if you had a digital HDTV (ie most quality LCD HDTV displays are digital, and all CRT-based HDTVs are analog) the best route would be to use a graphics cards with DVI output and then purchase a DVI to HDMI adapter, thereby sending a pure digital signal to your digital HDTV (no digital to analog to digital conversion necessary=better picture). The VGA D-SUBs are analog.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
There is no VGA to S-Video converter.

Not true. There are such adaptors. Usually they would not make sense to purchase, as the GPU must have a built in TV encoder to be able to output to television. Luckily, the Nvidia 6150 IGP, as long as it's not a 6150LE, should have a built in TV encoder, meaning the purchase of one of these adapters SHOULD work. As with everything, problems will likely arise in attempting to get it to work. It's not my recommended approach, as the price of the adaptor is about the same cost as a dedicated low end graphics card that already has a TV out output on it, but it is a viable alternative.