WRT54GS and WRT54GC - severe packet loss

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
September 26, 2005 5:47:05 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hi,

I've been searching for a new router and two of the latest ones I've
tried are the Linksys WRT54GS v2.0 and WRT54GC. Both appear to suffer
the same problem - severe packet loss over the wireless connection.
Wired connections are fine. The wireless client is connecting via a
WMP54G v4.0 card. Signal strength reads very good (sorry I don't recall
the connection strength details). Here are some diagnostics:

WRT54GS v2.0
(Firmware v4.70.6 - latest as of today)
Channel 1 (most surrounding networks have consumed channels 6-11)
WPA2 enabled (AES encryption)

WRT54GC
(Firmware v1.02.8 - latest as of today)
Channel 1 (most surrounding networks have consumed channels 6-11)
WPA2 enabled (AES encryption)

WMP54G v4.0
(Driver version 3.0.3.0 - latest as of today)

Just to clarify, I'm running these routers one at a time to see the
impact on my network. I've tried several settings on each but could not
fix the packet loss issue. The packet loss is sporadic over a series of
pings. I'm running 10 ping requests both to/from the wireless client.
Strangely, the wireless client can receive and respond to the ping
requests well. However, when sending ping requests out, it has
difficulties. All ping tests were just between the client and the
router.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do to fix this? I may try disabling
some of the security features to see the impact on the network. But
it's been rather troubling to see a 50% packet loss to the router.

Thanks.
a b F Wireless
September 27, 2005 1:20:24 PM

On 26 Sep 2005 13:47:05 -0700, lunyee@gmail.com wrote:

>I've been searching for a new router and two of the latest ones I've
>tried are the Linksys WRT54GS v2.0 and WRT54GC. Both appear to suffer
>the same problem - severe packet loss over the wireless connection.
>Wired connections are fine. The wireless client is connecting via a
>WMP54G v4.0 card. Signal strength reads very good (sorry I don't recall
>the connection strength details). Here are some diagnostics:
>
>WRT54GS v2.0
>(Firmware v4.70.6 - latest as of today)
>Channel 1 (most surrounding networks have consumed channels 6-11)
>WPA2 enabled (AES encryption)
>
>WRT54GC
>(Firmware v1.02.8 - latest as of today)
>Channel 1 (most surrounding networks have consumed channels 6-11)
>WPA2 enabled (AES encryption)
>
>WMP54G v4.0
>(Driver version 3.0.3.0 - latest as of today)
>
>Just to clarify, I'm running these routers one at a time to see the
>impact on my network. I've tried several settings on each but could not
>fix the packet loss issue. The packet loss is sporadic over a series of
>pings. I'm running 10 ping requests both to/from the wireless client.
>Strangely, the wireless client can receive and respond to the ping
>requests well. However, when sending ping requests out, it has
>difficulties. All ping tests were just between the client and the
>router.

Well, nothing definite, but possibly some guesswork.

So, ping works well in one direction but not the other? That's weird.
Also, test with ping using small packets tend to hide problems. Use
larger packets (about 8KBytes) and see if things get worse.

You might want to drag the computer with the WMP54G PCI card over to
different location that is free from possible interference. A network
where the user is hiding his SSID will not show up on the site survey
tools. You may think that channel 1 is clear, but it may not be.
Also, it might be infested with cordless phones, wireless TV
transmitters, and other sourced of interference. Try a different
channel (1, 6, 11) even if you know there are other networks on the
channel and see if it make a difference.

>Anyone have any ideas on what to do to fix this? I may try disabling
>some of the security features to see the impact on the network. But
>it's been rather troubling to see a 50% packet loss to the router.

Yeah, 50% is really bad. If Windoze also do a big file transfer and
run:
start -> run -> cmd <enter>
netstat -esn | more
to get some additional statistics.

It's possible that some of the advanced features are causing problems.
I general turn off just about everything and reduce the router to a
basic box at the start of testing. That means turning off any "turbo"
modes, turn off 802.11b compatibility, no encryption, no MAC or IP
filtering, No CTS/RTS flow, No fragmentation threshold, etc. I also
like to fix the wireless speed to perhaps 12Mbits/sec OFDM. If it
works like that, I then start turning on the features until the
culprit is identified.

Good luck...

Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 27, 2005 6:04:54 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Thanks. Yeah the one way ping was weirding me out. I'll try out pinging
with larger packets. I'm starting to think that it's interference
related from neighboring networks that aren't broadcasting their SSIDs.
I've never had a problem with channel 1 before is the odd thing. In any
case, this problem disappears during "non-peak" hours. Which is why I'm
a bit suspicious of interference.

I'll try dropping all the other features and see how it goes as well.
It's kinda bizarre. Thanks for the suggestions!
Related resources
February 1, 2006 4:57:15 AM

Did you ever figure anything out with this? I've got the same box and just now started trying to push it with G-only WPA-TKIP MAC filtering.. works fine but occasionally I start to see massive packet loss as well.

I'm just starting my own troubleshooting, but thought I'd ask people who might have already seen it.
February 1, 2006 3:24:37 PM

If I recall correctly v3 is a non unix firmware.
You may want to get a copy of NetStumbler and see what is in your area. Allow it to run for at least 10 min. You may be surprise on what it picks up.
!