Built a PC - won't power on - pls help

peppy1

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
I decided today to build a pc, not built one for a few years so a bit rusty.

I went for a Asus P5N32 SLI SE deluxe
2 gig of ram
Intel core 2 duo
A Type R 730W powersupply
2 x 512MB XFX GeForce 7950GT XT Edition (sli'd)

plus all the other core peripherals, i.e case h/d etc

Unfortunatly after building the machine I'm unable to power it on, there's power going to the psu but nothing lit up on no fans whirling on the m/b

My first question is from what I understand and have read in the asus book, that I must connect a 24 pin 12v and a 8 pin 12v to the board.

I've fitted the 24 pin no problem however noticed a blank out plate on the 8 pin port thus only giving 4 pins available.

I removed the 4 pin blank out plate to give 8 pins available however the PSU has 2 cpu 4 pin 12v power feeds (the square block connectors) hence i've fitted as below.

psu (cpu feed 1 4 block) to MB (first 4 in bank of 8)
psu (cpu feed 2 4 block) to MB (2nd 4 in bank of 8)
psu (power feed 12 24 block) to MB

but still nothing when I power on the machine :roll:

so my questions are am I doing this correct, and does my psu have enough power to drive both GPU's.

any other suggestions would be much appriciated.

Thanks in advance.

(1)

peppy1

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Thanks for the responce I've tried what you have suggested but still no luck on powering the board.

since then I've stripped the machine completly down rebuilt it, I've noticed that the 24 pin power connector has 1 pin that has no conducting metal sheild inside (is this normal) ?

running out of options now.

In addition to make you aware i've tried plugging the bear min connections in i.e. no usb or audio leads into the board, basically just used the power on jumper connector in the bank of led/hd/sound/reset/power, i'm presuming that should be sufficient to power the machine up, however no LED light on the board.

any other suggestions apart from replacement parts ?

thanks again

peppy1

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
I think by the looks of it the MB is dead, no green light even with the basics plugged in.

As for the the 24 pin (missing pin) it's not wired so fairly sure now that its the m/b at fault.

thanks for the suggestions..

dmich116

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Well this kind of thing has happened to me before, but what went wrong is i used the wrong screws for the motherboard and, as soon as i used the right ones the computer powered on!