Different windows 7 drivers

queenidog

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
Hello,
I have a Bodelin computer microscope (Proscope HR). Works fine on 2 native Win 7 laptops but not on an upgraded Vista-Win7 desktop. The laptops are x32, the desktop x64. The drivers are different versions between the two that work and the one that doesn't. I get a "please install camera" when I plug into the desktop computer. All updates are in, SFC tested all files, manufacturer (Bodelin) says THEY are stumped!

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

Very interesting product. Magnification up to 1000x

The instructions say can you connect the microscope to a USB 2 port on your computer, and it will function (after Win-7 installs the USB driver) without their application software.

Might uninstall their software on the Win-7 64 bit desktop and make sure that portion functions OK first. It's like any other USB device.

Next step, install their software. There is a Win-7 zip download from their website, but I can't tell if it's an upgrade or full version product. Remember that Win-7 64 bit drivers have to be signed & certified to install, as compared to the 32 bit drivers, which don't. Possibly Proscope hasn't gone thru the certification process of their 64 bit drivers.

What do you use the digital microscope for?
Let us know what you find.

queenidog

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
What is says and what it does are two different things! The Proscope works on two other win7 x32 computers but not on my main win7 x64 computer. Bodelin has tested it on win7 x64 computers that had NATIVE win7 installed, but mine is an upgrade from Vista x64. I think that is the issue. The Proscope works as a video camera in other applications like AVS Capture and even Skype, so the hardware and the USB driver seem to work for these programs. For the Proscope, it uses the generic Windows USB driver, and again, since this was an upgrade, I don't think the right driver was loaded. I have deinstalled Proscope at least 1/2 dozen times, and cleaned the registry of all references to the device, re-installed with the same results.

I use the Proscope in conjunction with my 1200x trinocular National microscope for hobby purposes, checking out the micro-world. Hundreds of photos on my website: http://www.raiderracing.com/science/microscope_pics.htm
The Proscope is handy because it's portable, unlike the National.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi again,

Last couple of things to try:

Go to device manager, while there, unplug the scope USB to see which controller icon disappers, the reappears when plugging it back in, Then uninstall that USB controller. When you reboot and reconnect it, Win-7 should find new hardware and maybe install a different driver. If it was the incorrect driver, may load the correct one.

Other thing is to go to the executable file in the file structure, right click, choose properties, then choose compatability mode and see if it will run in Vista 64 bit or 32 bit compatabililty mode. That'll tell you if there is something amis with the scope's driver files.

queenidog

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
Thanks John, but I did those things already. The device driver loads (remember it's generic USB from Windows), and the Proscope is in the device list.

I have tried every compatibility mode, from XP to Vista SP2 X64 and none of them work. All my other imaging devices work, cameras, webcams, etc. And of course the Proscope works with other apps, just NOT with it's own GUI which I would like because it allows me to use the built in capture button on the scope.

I've compared generic usb drivers from Win7 x32 that work with the Win7 x64 on this computer that does not work and they ARE different.

I ran another program provided by Bodelin called Image Analyzer. When it fails it gives me this error dump:
System.BadImageFormatException: An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)
at DXDrivers.DirectShowPropertyPage.OleCreatePropertyFrame(IntPtr hwndOwner, Int32 x, Int32 y, String lpszCaption, Int32 cObjects, Object& ppUnk, Int32 cPages, IntPtr pPageClsID, Int32 lcid, Int32 dwReserved, IntPtr pvReserved)
at DXDrivers.DirectShowPropertyPage.Show(Control owner)
at ImageAnalyzer.CW.lboxDriver_MouseDown(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ListBox.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

The developer, in England can't figure it out either. I researched the Windows error and found out it could be a bad compile of non-existent items in the code.