Sign in with
Your question

lagging computer!!!!!

Last response: in CPUs
October 15, 2006 1:53:53 AM

ok i scan my computer everrrrrrrrrrrrryday with nod32 and clean the registry everrrrrrrryday.....AND IT STILL LAGS. ALL the time ill go into task manager and it will show 10% cpu usage and i wont be running anything. i have nothing overclocked and i always go down through the processes and end all the useless ones. WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO DO WITH OUT REINSTALLING WINDOWS????. my comp specs are in my post signature fyi. i dont think there that bad. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More about : lagging computer

October 15, 2006 2:06:46 AM

Didn't you just post two threads asking for help in choosing a new computer?
Have you tried checking for spyware or are you rnning Norton? Norton is a system hog and spyware willbog down your rig and eat up memory.
If that doesn't work, just back up what you want onto a dvd or two and wipe the drive and reinstall the OS. It doesn't take that long, only 30 - 45 minutes on a P2 266 with 128Mb of RAM. You should be fine.
October 15, 2006 2:09:39 AM

HAHA YA I DID.....dude iam running eset nod32 seems to be the best....30 day trial on there website. i just keep downloading another 30 days lol
Related resources
October 15, 2006 2:10:39 AM

ughhhhhh and then putting all those music files back into the itunes libriary and then making new playlists ughhhhhhhhh nooooooooooooo way to annoying to do
October 15, 2006 2:11:19 AM

....... [/sighs]
October 15, 2006 2:12:17 AM

ya lol ever do it...its a hell of a fun time 8)
October 15, 2006 2:16:03 AM

does anyone have a clue what to do??????????
October 15, 2006 2:21:03 AM

Obviously not you, cause we've told you what to do.
October 15, 2006 2:22:59 AM

dude i told u i dont wanna reinstall windows!!!!
October 15, 2006 2:36:12 AM

Happy aren't you?
October 15, 2006 2:40:18 AM

i know it will work....it was really fast the first time i installed windows
October 15, 2006 2:43:08 AM

Gotta catch 'em all!
October 15, 2006 2:48:33 AM

If I keep posting the way that I do I mght catch Wusy by next Christmas
October 15, 2006 2:48:34 AM

LOL.....but which app?????????????
October 15, 2006 2:54:16 AM

Do you know at what post count I change rank?
October 15, 2006 2:56:52 AM

Elaborate on your RAM type.... that could be a big problem
October 15, 2006 2:58:06 AM

Go to page one and read up. You'll see how pointless any kind of help is.
October 15, 2006 2:59:28 AM

dude its not any part inside my comp!!!....its xp....
October 15, 2006 3:02:18 AM

Maybe a rootkit?
October 15, 2006 3:05:20 AM

One way to get around redoing the whole itunes thing is that if you copy the itunes folder out of your documents folder and after the reformat put it and the music back in the exact same place, everything will work, including playlist from what I've seen.
October 15, 2006 3:07:15 AM

A malware written in core language,sometimes undetectible by antispyware and anti virus.......
October 15, 2006 3:07:16 AM

o....coolness...but still i have alot of programs....
October 15, 2006 3:07:53 AM

Quote:
dude its not any part inside my comp!!!....its xp....

If that is the case:
October 15, 2006 3:20:56 AM

You want some truth, if you dont flash windows out ever six months or so it will progressivly slow down as it gets bogged down with crap.

Find TUNEXP, use it.
October 15, 2006 3:30:59 AM

Even though you can see the hardware I'm running, I just did a spyware scan, I'm in the middle of a defragment on my windows hdd, and I did a disk cleanup. I imagine that this will speed up stuff a bit.
October 15, 2006 4:35:25 AM

You listed your system specs as having an overclocked CPU and vid card. If need be you may have to clock them down but otherwise here are some things to do:

Do you have Norton? If so remove it. If you have McAfee then remove it too. Stick with Avast or AVG. They have small footprints.

Since you know its not your hardware causing the problem then its time to clean up your system.

Ensure your harddrive isn't full. If there is no empty space then things can get a bit erratic.

I don't use virus scanners or malware scanners on my computer so I'm not sure how good Nod32 is. I usually tell ppl to use lavasoft's ad-aware and SpyBot search & destroy to scan. Use Avast to scan for virus. Once thats all done then its time to move on.

First we'll just do the basic check.

Go to system properties then to the advanced tab and click on performance.

On the Visual Effects tab click Adjust for best performance, it'll uncheck everything. Scroll down and check 'Use common task in folder' if you like the leftside menu in folders.

Next go to the Advanced tab. Make sure processor scheduling is on 'Programs', same thing for Memory usage. Next check your Virtual Memory and ensure its on System managed size or a custom size. If on custom then the standard size is 150% your total RAM size for min and max.

Now go into the control panel and to add/remove programs. Remove any extra crap you don't use. Toobars, search helpers and other crap.

After a reboot if you still have lagging and only 10% free CPU usage then its time to start taking things out.

Go to the start menu and click on run. Type in MSCONFIG and click ok.

When the system configuration utility loads go to the services tab.
Click the little check box at the bottom to hide all the Microsoft services. This'll give you a clean view of extra services. Uncheck these extra services, if you're not sure if you need them then post them for me and I'll review them. Odds are you won't *need* any of them to run the computer minimally.

Next go to the Startup tab. Uncheck everything. After all is unchecked then go thru the list and check on anything that you still want to load up like msn messenger, yahoo, proxy apps or such.

When you're done then click ok and it'll ask to reboot. Say yes.

When the computer boots back up things should be reactive and normal. If you're still experiencing a lag or your CPU is still tied up all the time then download hijackthis and do a scan and post the scan. Also at this time I'd down clock your hardware to default settings and reset your BIOS ram timings.

When you reboot after msconfig and log in, msconfig will pop up with a window saying something about changes, just check the checkbox and click ok and continue on.

If everything is running smooth then load up msconfig again and start checking the things you need back. It'll want to reboot and load them up so do it. If it slows down again then you know it was something you check on. Figure out which one it was and get rid of it.

Finally do a scandisk & defrag.
October 15, 2006 5:00:40 AM

hmm i have XP and norton i have none of these problems. it COULD be your xp if hte cd is currupted but its defanitly not XP. Avast might have such a small foot print beacuse it rated so low in anti virus programs AVG is better but from alot of the tests i read they both rated under Norton which was pretty low on the field. The program Bitprotector however ranked #1 might be something to look into. however i highly doubt either of those things are your problem. every try figuring out what program it is exactly thats using the cpu? The most likely thing would be virus or spyware but like was stated you have a OC'ed cpu could be going bad since OC'ing something degrades a electronic componant faster then it would have been running at the factory set speeds.
October 15, 2006 5:53:37 AM

The Norton problem is a real issue these days. Dell used to ship with Norton by default but changed that for some reason.

I remember when Norton was great back in 1993 with its PCTools. I used to use Norton daily. I think it was 1997 when they started buying other company's products and by 1998 or so they started packing them together. I remember one of their suites with Bulldog or Watchdog or whatever crashed alot because the tools in the package didn't work together in the system. I used to really like Symantec. They coded the defragmenter for Microsoft in the old days. Now they've been sucking into the Norton blender.

I haven't seen the latest Norton antivirus package but I've heard they fixed alot of the problems. I've probably had 7 computers in the last 2 years which have had Norton go bad and slow the comp down to the nuts so when a computer has Norton and is in rough shape; its the first thing to go.

If I ever need to scan my own computer I use Datafellow's F-prot for dos. I probably do it once every year and a half. If I get a virus I'm happy because it gives me something to do.

On other people's computers I used to put AVG on over Norton because AVG picked out virus' Norton didn't. I used AVG until Avast pulled out virus' AVG didn't. The last infection I dealt with was last week. MSN Live was infected and the virus wasn't detected by Norton, AVG or Avast and it killed AVG on every reboot.

The virus renamed MSN Live's exe file then loaded itself in it's place, calling MSN Live's renamed exe after. As soon as it loaded it called up www.photolabblahblah.com and downloaded two .mp3 files which it renamed to .exe then launched to reinfect everything. Since the win ver. was XP Home I had to use cacls to lock down the system32 folder to keep the virus from loading/writing then I added the nasty download sites to the hosts. One of the virus' was loading from Winlogon's Notify key so I set permissions on the key to not read/write for system/admins. It took a while but I got all the virus' out of there.

After I fix someone's computer I now throw AVG/Avast on then set security high for Internet Explorer and put their banking/email sites in the trusted zone then install Firefox and disable Java in it and use that as the main browser. I get them to use Ad-aware every once in a while too.

I'd better stop writing, I'm rambling :D 
October 15, 2006 5:57:38 AM

No, go on, this is quite interesting and educational. I'm intrigued.
October 15, 2006 6:37:10 AM

Cerealboxed?

Oh, man.
My first rig, the Athlon 550@684.
October 15, 2006 6:37:12 AM

Ok, cool.

Back in the day I used Internet Explorer as my main browser (nutscrape and opera only for web dev and proxy ips). Virus' began becoming a huge prob (even before the Melissa prob).

I used napster and kazaa and downloaded software which would inturn infect my computer. Since I don't use virus scanners (they take resources, I'm a kid who disabled his mouse driver to save 4k conventional!) I was always manually chasing them around to kill them.

When people started exploiting activeX I found myself getting alot more crap inside my comp. I tried to disable ActiveX but I couldn't. I went into the registry, backed up the classid key then start ripping out the ActiveX. That didn't kill it. I checked MS knowledge bases and they said you couldn't actually disable ActiveX even when choosing the disable radio-button in settings because Microsoft thinks it'd change your browsing experience too much.

I spent time in the virus invested areas of the web (looking at pr0n and sifting thru warez). I was always having things sneak in regardless of my internet settings.

Virus' always liked to land in the same places. %windir%, system32, root, program files, messenger folder.. so since I had 2000 pro and could easily set permissions I decided to just lock down all the folders so neither me nor the system could write to them (except for the registry folders and certain cache files). I couldn't lock down the temp folder because things needed it so I just disabled execution from that folder. I found myself having to go in there and manually execute setup files after running the msi's so I undid that. Some virus would land in my temporary internet files so I just pointed that folder to a void and that fixed that prob.

One time a window popped up giving an error writing to C:\, I checked my current page's source code and found some javascript trying to write an executable file to C:\ via uencode or something. I could have sworn I had javascript disabled. Another thing in the source was a java applet getaccess.class and a .jar with a param pointing to a loader.exe on a site hidden behind a maze of /o/d/i folders. I saved the code somewhere but lost it.

When I was coding with MFC years ago (2000) I wrote an activeX program that made a file on the hdd then filled it up until the hdd was full. It was just for fun and I didn't do anything with it but it was so easy to make. Because iexplore's security was so over exploited I used the permission settings for a few years until Firefox came out. I didn't like the idea of switch from iexplore to Firefox but Firefox completely stopped all crap from coming in (with java disabled) so I went with it. (I also stopped downloading programs from Kazaa and running them)

Right now I don't use any protective apps and haven't had any malware or a virus since Firefox came out.

I also trim down my services and don't have much loaded cause I like a quick reacting PC.

Here is a screen shot

Here is an article I wrote a while ago, I wrote an example of how to deal with the baddies without a virus scanner:

------------------------------------------------------------

Anti-virus software doesn't protect everywhere protection is needed. When someone comes to you with a serious viral infection like the one Steve Ballmer dealt with you start off with a basic game plan and that plan includes deleting their anti-virus software. Sorry Norton, you're not up to par in the game anymore. I'll explain what to you what its like dealing with virus' the way Microsoft's Engineers did.

To start off, you gauge how serious the problem is. Maybe its bad, maybe taking 15 minutes to boot up the PC and only allowing you 30 seconds of work before the system crashes and reboots itself. Your first focus is to have stable ground to fight on. You kill all processes in memory except the cores required to operate Windows, you turn off all non essensial Windows services too. You disable as much as you can from auto loading on reboot. You do this because you're going to have to reboot a few times to advance your footing if its a serious infection. Sometimes the virus won't give you access to the tools you need. When this happens you have to switch yours tactics. Yours tactis may involve installing another copy of Windows to use as a tool to repair the damaged Windows.

The anti-virus (useless now) is out the window too. All easy to remove malware gets ripped out using add/remove programs. If there are any problems in doing this due to virus'/malware hindering you then its time to skip this and go straight for the virus/malware.

Hunting the virus' doesn't take too much time. It's a mix between checking the registry and some other load points for where the virus' are loading from and then checking the file system for the actual virus' code. To a general user, virus files aren't distiguishable from normal files. To an IT expert with experience they stick out like a sore thumb. Once you have found this its time to chase the virus'.

If the virus' are loaded in memory they are going to protect themselves from you trying to kill them. Sometimes you can see one as a process in task manager, you kill it and it pops right back up. You decide you'll just delete the file that it loads itself from; so next time you kill it, it can't reload itself. So you delete the virus' file and right away it recreates that file. What give? The virus is active in memory and making sure you don't kill it. In this situation it's not too hard to kill the virus. But sometimes the situation isn't this easy.

A virus can deny you the ability to kill it's process. It also may not show itself as a process. It can keep your from deleting its file. It can keep itself loading from multiple points.

When you can't delete the file and you can't kill the process then its time to pull out the big guns. The guns Microsoft built into its operating system. When that nasty virus is in memory it can rewrite it's hooks into your system as quickly as you can delete them. So how are you going to win? You use Microsoft's built in tools to wipe it out.

Windows XP, 2000 and NT use the NTFS file system (They can use other file systems too but thats not the focus). One of NTFS' greatest features is security. The Professional version of Windows puts security controls in easy to access places. The Home version of Windows doesn't.

Using Window's built in security you can deactivate the files and registry entries a virus is using. This makes them unable to load themselves and thus they deactive. To do this you modify the permissions for the files and registry entries the virus is relying on. State that no one, not you, other users or the system have the right to read or write to these locations. After this you reboot and the virus' are inactive. You then remove the deny permissions from the stuff and delete the dead virus data.

There are the rare times when the virus your hunting can't be found cause its hiding in an alternate data stream thats invisible to your operating system. Times like this you'll need some 3rd party software to help battle. If you're having a hard time beating down the virus' or malware then clean it out using another Windows installation, this takes some of the challenge out of it but good if you're having a hard time.

Anti-virus software is a good measure to defend against virus' trying to harm your system but alone its not good enough. There are many utilities out there that cover where your anti-virus' don't. Right now I peg Microsoft's One Care package as the best defense for people. I personally don't use anti-virus software or have anti-malware running. My task bar has a volume icon, the time, a few chat messengers and nothing else. I use Windows XP Service Pack 2 with no extra updates. I browse with Firefox (Java disabled of course) and go anywhere on the internet without problems. My security is knowing what I should download and what I shouldn't.
October 15, 2006 6:42:35 AM

it would have have burned instantly bcoz of heat
October 15, 2006 6:44:16 AM

I turned it on recently. It didn't burst into flame :lol: 
October 15, 2006 6:55:07 AM

i must be the exception to the rule here i been using norton since before 2000 have yet to havea problem. Accourding to some of the reviews on anti virus i read avast is unable to detect virus's in the wild and on my system totaly tore it a new one i had to uninstall it so my computer wouldnt crap out every 10 seconds or so because it decided it wanted to use every resource i had for some reason or another. AVG did rate higher but below norton. I have used alot of so called anti virus funny thing about anti virus is its almost 100% usless if it cant stop the program from even getting to your computer let alone stopping it from running. I use Norton IE and Webroot i cant say i get any of hte problems everyone else seems to always get. I also leave active X and java inabled since i want to be able to view them.
October 15, 2006 7:53:09 AM

what is that 6.1 midi surround sound you got hooked up on the electronics kit? :lol: 
!