Microsoft Sold 1 Million Surface Tablets During 2012's Q4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surface is cool but it really doesn't draw people in like that apple effect. Maybe MS will actually price it on par with other non apple tablets using the same kind of hardware.

[citation][nom]stickmansam[/nom]I feel that the flagship MS devices are priced to high to truly get large amounts of sales[/citation]

Microsoft is not a company that is known to engage in a price war. The $200-$500 tablet market is extremely saturated right now.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
It's been reported (http://blog.adduplex.com/2013/01/adduplex-windows-8rt-device-statistics.html) that Surface comprises 7.5% of all Windows 8 / RT devices.
That would mean how many total Windows 8 devices being used?

Also, there's the $400M advertising budget for Surface, when gauging the device's market performance, this should be taken into account as well.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]A million units is not that bad, especially coming from a company that normally does not make hardware....[/citation]That's roughly how many tablets the HP TouchPad sold though, and likely isn't enough money to cover the R&D of the devices let alone the cost of the parts.

G

Having played with a Surface with Win 8 RT I would say it is an excellent tablet cum netbook - if all you do is email, cerf, or use MS Office products. If - like me - you are an IT Pro or Power user then I think the Pro could be the way tog- which is why I am waiting. Still 1 Million tables sold is not to shabby and I think the Surface RT is here to stay.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
MS should have learned from HP's Firesale. If they sold their devices at a loss or breaking even for $250, $300 with a keyboard, they'd probably be dominating the market. But at $500 and $600 with a keyboard, they just won't compete.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]susyque747[/nom]OK so now we know of 1 million fools and tools who bought MS crap.[/citation]

We had a whole load of positive posts and then one 'tool' pops up and posts utter crap. Well done.

P.s. I purchased the 64Gb RT but am REALLY looking forward to owning the Pro.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Pro is too expensive and out of reach for most people, plus you have a factor of unknown where people are safe with iPad or Android afterall why would John Doe buy Surface when he already owns iPhone. Also Metro is not visually appealing.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Microsoft's initial target was 4 million.
They then revised it to 2 million.
Then again to 1.2, final results 1 million.

I won a great friendly bet on the complete failure of the Surface, friend now owes me a tonne of push-ups LOL

P.S. The Pro will crash and burn, Microsoft has been making cellphones and tablets for over a decade and they have never sold well, never changed markets or consumer purchasing and preferences. They have never led in the market or had large marketshare.

Azn Cracker

Distinguished
Maybe if they dropped the price by $100 or included the keyboard they will get more sales. This thing is overpriced like apple products, but apple is able to get away with it because of its herd.

-only purchase through MS stores
-Priced much higher than competing products
-Win8 has a ton of bad publicity
-Everyone feels like this is a demo unit which will be replaced by Surface Pro, and a 'real' Surfance RT device before the end of 2013, both of which will be much faster at the same price point.
-Too late to the table, a lot of schools and businesses that are hot for the tablet form factor have already bought into the Mac ecosystem. Had Surface come out 6mo-1yr earlier then it perhaps would have done a bit better.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Any windows device based on ARM is waste of time because Intel and AMD are coming up with x86 processors which are more battery efficient and perform faster. Speaking of Surface Pro, that is DOA as well. Pricey + Windows 8 sucks for the most part.

[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]Any windows device based on ARM is waste of time because Intel and AMD are coming up with x86 processors which are more battery efficient and perform faster. Speaking of Surface Pro, that is DOA as well. Pricey + Windows 8 sucks for the most part.[/citation]

You have obviously never used a Windows RT tablet or Windows 8 tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.