The 1 Month Problem!

MasterMike5280

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Hello all... been visting this site for a year a decided to join. So anyway, my PC will not start up. Anyway here is the problem, I cleaned out my old computer my older brother gave me which is about 5 years old (don't worry, I'll give you the specs).

So, I cleaned it out (yes this is dumb) the inside of the case and the fans with a vacuum, and the rest with q-tips. So after I was done cleaning it I powered it on... and it everything turned, the HD, fans, DVD drive and CD drive worked and the HD life was on, non stop, and it didn't stop, no blinking. Also, there was no beep and the monitor stayed in power save mode with the amber light.

So I decided that the GPU broke. So I went from a GeForce 2 GTS 32mb, to a 9700 Pro 128mb. Tonight, I put the 9700 Pro in... and it did the same thing a it did about a month ago. I think it might be the power supply, but I'm not sure, all I want is to just get the thing running.

Specs:
-AMD Athlon 1200+
-55 GB Maxtor HD
-256mb of 266mhz DDR ram
-Radeon 9700 Pro
-CD and DVD drive
-300 watt power supply

This computer is a Compaq Presario 7000 :)

MasterMike5280

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Nope... nothing appears on screen, the monitor acts like it isn't even connected to the computer. Also, there wasn't a single beep when I turned it on.

threep

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Check the monitor cable, make sure there aren't any bent pins.
Test the monitor on a different computer.
Test a different monitor on the troubled computer.
Did you remove the heatsink from the CPU while cleaning? If you did, then did you re-apply thermal grease properly?
Make sure the memory is seated properly.
Make sure all cables from the power supply are seated properly.
Make sure the hard drive cables are seated properly and in the correct orientation (not connected backward)
Try unplugging the CD and DVD drives in case it is a power issue.

Cleaning out the PC with a vacuum is a good idea, better than using canned air which just blows the dust around and under the motherboard, into empty slots and into the power supply.

Good luck. 8)

MasterMike5280

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
I didn't remove the heatsink, there are no bent pins, I can't test the monitor on another PC for reasons, the memory is in right, HD cables, and CD and DVD drive wires are fine... and for removing the wires from the CD and DVD drives.... their stuck, and I can't remove them. So, it might be the power supply...

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Cleaning out a computer with a vacuum is a vary bad idea DO NOT DO THAT! The electrostatic that will discharge in your computer will most likely fry things. Canned air is hte best way to clean it out. Take out everything in the computer and clean it piece by piece. Also anti static wipes is a easy way to clean alot of things in a computer.

melf26

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Cleaning out the PC with a vacuum is a good idea, better than using canned air which just blows the dust around and under the motherboard, into empty slots and into the power supply.

Haha, there's a reason people don't vacuum their PC, because it can create static electricity and fry your crap.

**Edit: He ^^ beat me to it.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
If one has a good building ground, and one's wall plate is connected properly and the power supply is performing as it should (and turned off but still plugged in) then vacuuming is no worse (or better) than canned air. If any of the above conditions are less than optimal, then either method is bad. Esd is more about moving the dust than about how one does it. And an antistatic mat that is not properly grounded will not help either... Nor will a wrist strap that's not properly grounded...

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
All things you most likely cannot conferm and shouldnt trust because of that fact. I dont like to play games with my hardware and i dont recomend others do either. The power supply is suppose to protect the computer againced serges getting to the hardware i dont trust it to stop them coming from the hardware its self. Canned air doesnt create more as the electric componants in a vacuum will. I never recommend cleaning a computer while it still resides in the case however.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediawebserver.dyn?6666660Zjcf6lVs6EVs666b8rCOrrrrQ-

One of many links on 3m's website relating to esd... There are other sites, 3m's is just handy.

Basically, get properly grounded or your stuff's dead. cmos is so sensitive that the rf from your mobile will fry it. From two meters....

Cartman0123

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Anyway here is the problem, I cleaned out my old computer my older brother gave me which is about 5 years old (don't worry, I'll give you the specs).

Specs:
-AMD Athlon 1200+
-55 GB Maxtor HD
-256mb of 266mhz DDR ram
-Radeon 9700 Pro
-CD and DVD drive
-300 watt power supply

Sorry, but this equals place in garbage and save for something decent. I had a Gateway PC from 1999. It was a PIII 500 Mhz (P.O.S.) with 128 mb ram and a dying 17" CRT. I sold it a few months ago to a sucker for $175. Truthfully, you might try selling parts on ebay and get something out of it and put towards something that won't be frustrating to use.

MasterMike5280

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
I really have no money to get a new PC, I'm turning 14 in a month and I'll be able to get a job, but until then, I have to deal with this. The 1200+ is 1.192GHz... and yes... I know never to use a vacuum now... but can anyone know the reason why this computer doesn't boot?... please.

exarrkun

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
i see three possible reasons:

-your mobo is dead (bios) :(
-your psu is dead :(
-you made a stupid mistake with cabling and stuff :D

*hoping
it's the third....*

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Hello all...

So, I cleaned it out (yes this is dumb) the inside of the case and the fans with a vacuum, and the rest with q-tips. So after I was done cleaning it I powered it on... and it everything turned, the HD, fans, DVD drive and CD drive worked and the HD life was on, non stop, and it didn't stop, no blinking. Also, there was no beep and the monitor stayed in power save mode with the amber light.

So I decided that the GPU broke. So I went from a GeForce 2 GTS 32mb, to a 9700 Pro 128mb. Tonight, I put the 9700 Pro in... and it did the same thing a it did about a month ago. I think it might be the power supply, but I'm not sure, all I want is to just get the thing running.

Specs:
-AMD Athlon 1200+
-55 GB Maxtor HD
-256mb of 266mhz DDR ram
-Radeon 9700 Pro
-CD and DVD drive
-300 watt power supply

Most likely the ram stick was bumped, they can lose connectivity very easily with the slightest movement. That has happened to me many times with Sdram, leaving the same symptoms you describe. Remove the memory stick, make sure the pins and Dimm socket are free of dust, then reinsert it, pushing on the stick directly until the two snaps close over the ends.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Sounds more like a 1200ghz cpu not a 1200+ would be clocked more like 1050ghz i cannot find refference to a 1200+ anywhere on the net. That said its a thunderbird cpu they tend to get vary hot whats your cooling like? do you know if the cooling has been compramised? That sort of problem normaly isnt caused by a memory stick being bad or loose it would post and beep in that case. Have you tried taring it apart and putting it together on a wooden surface to see if it posts out of the case? I would have to agree with exarrkun either that or its grounded somehow.

MasterMike5280

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
I'm pretty sure the MoBo is dead (don't know how it died) because I disconnected the CD and DVD drive and reinserted the memory, but still when I power it on, everything turns on and starts up, except, there is no beep. When I disconnect the monitor from the computer, it says there is no signal, so the monitor is working. Well, I think I'm all out of options. Thanks for the help.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
that doesnt really mean int he motherboard the athlon 1200 along with that video card could be exceding that crappy PSU that comes in OEM computers. 300watt but not a 300watt thats actualy 200watt. Like i siad your problem is most likely not your memory your problem doesnt consist of the problems of bad memory. It is however a good thing you were able to test your componants in another computer. If you have another computer see how much of your stuff you can test. Hell if you could test the video and cpu in another system with your current psu that would narrow it down a bit ;)

baladorr

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
If one has a good building ground, and one's wall plate is connected properly and the power supply is performing as it should (and turned off but still plugged in) then vacuuming is no worse (or better) than canned air. If any of the above conditions are less than optimal, then either method is bad. Esd is more about moving the dust than about how one does it. And an antistatic mat that is not properly grounded will not help either... Nor will a wrist strap that's not properly grounded...

ESD Fundamentals

diox8tony

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
i had the same symptoms when i fried my mobo...(well not fried more like borke :D ) the comp would not make a sound but the orange / amber light would turn on....then the monitor would go to sleep, not showing a thing

MasterMike5280

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
i had the same symptoms when i fried my mobo...(well not fried more like borke :D ) the comp would not make a sound but the orange / amber light would turn on....then the monitor would go to sleep, not showing a thing

Thats not a good sign...

Also, I can't test the CPU, and I know the graphics card is working.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
like i said before in a post exarrkun has the most likely suspects in your case. maybe you have a computer store near by that could put the mobo onto a different psu? if that doesnt work put the cpu on another mobo would be really easy to say what it is once you tested it all. Some shops around here are even nice enough to do something so little with out charging.

TRENDING THREADS