Sign in with
Your question

Scythe Ninja too tall for CPU case...

Last response: in Overclocking
October 15, 2006 5:29:46 AM

So I've got a Cooler Master Praetorian 730 case as found here, Asus P5W DH mobo and a c2d 6600 cpu. The problem i've come into is that the Ninja is way too tall for my case. There's a funnel type device on the side panel which I thought removing it may allow the ninja to fit, and even with only a mockup at best I'd still have those heatpipe ends sticking out the side of my case, but that would look horrible on such a beautiful case. I believe this may be due to the fact that this case has a removeable mobo tray. So I'm looking for suggestions on a cooler that will allow the best performance and fit inside my case without any change to the appearance of the case. I'd like to order by sunday night so it can be shipped out monday morning so any advice or experience that anyone can provide would be great! Thanks in advance.
October 15, 2006 7:30:43 AM

The scythe ninja is 150mm tall for reference purposes, and remember measure twice buy once :) 

The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is 126mm tall It is a excellent cooler for the price and the fan noise is not bad.

Noctua NH - U 9 There is no fan included, Fits 92mm and 80 mm fans (128mm tall)

For non tower heatsinks.
Zalman CNPS 7000(92mm fan) or the CNPS7700 (120mm fan)
Both the Zalmans also have more expensive models with led fans, and less expensive models made with copper and aluminum. *Note if you want to buy the CNPS 7000 you will need to also buy this.

Thermalright SI 120 88mm tall (126mm tall with a 120x120x38mm fan) And there is no fan included, but the last version of this heatsink performed exceptionally well with 1000-2000 rpm fans.

Well thats about all I can think of heatsink wise thats not noisy, a major loss of performance, or highly overpriced for a small (if any) performance gain.
October 16, 2006 2:25:33 AM

Thanks, I decided to order the Arctic Coolings Freezer 7 Pro, unfortunately I did not have the case and mobo before I bought the cooler (trying to buy everything at once) so I was buying strictly off of reviews.
Related resources
October 16, 2006 5:00:47 AM

Consider the Scythe Mine too. I assume youve got a loose budget so it should it in it and the case hehe.
Outperforms any Zalman HSF even that the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is an excellent $/performance ratio.
October 16, 2006 5:08:05 AM

Quote:
Consider the Scythe Mine too. I assume youve got a loose budget so it should it in it and the case hehe.
Outperforms any Zalman HSF even that the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is an excellent $/performance ratio.

One minor issue with that, the scythe mini is the same height as the as the scythe ninja heatsink. If it had been shorter thats one that I would of recomended.
October 16, 2006 5:19:02 AM

Quote:

One minor issue with that, the scythe mini is the same height as the as the scythe ninja heatsink. If it had been shorter thats one that I would of recomended.

True o_o I thought it was smaller since the Ninja outperforms every time.
If it fits in the case, the Termaltake Big Typhoon is very worthy to look at.
October 16, 2006 6:02:09 AM

yeah the mine is definately the same height as the ninja or I would've considered it or even the infinity, the artic cooling model appears to be the same style of heatsink as the scythe models. I believe it will perform porportionally to the scythe ninja for it's size.
October 16, 2006 6:37:36 AM

To be truthful I originally thought the mini was smaller then the ninja also, heck that was the first cooler that came to my mind for this situation.

But if it was me I would of gone for the Thermalright due to it cools almost as well as the ninja with a 1000 rpm fan, the downside being $33 for the heatsink and $15+ for a good fan (paying extra for low noise). :cry: 
But even with a $18 Panaflow its still overall cheaper, cools better, and is quieter then the Zalman 9500. (Did you notice how I conveniently skipped that one, the other 2 Zalman's can still be useful in some situations tho.)
!