A couple of questions about new build

jhalf

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Hi All,
I have been a part of this forum for a couple days now and I am thrilled. I guess I am still a neewbie/ nOOb or whatever you pro guys call us. I built my first computer last year. ( a s939 with 3500+, 1 gb of ram, couple satas, a 7800gt, and an 89.99 dollar aspire case with 500 w ps). I enjoyed everything about it, still do, but i am looking to upgrade. I am in industrial engineering and I currently I do a lot of heavy-duty cad stuff and gaming. I play mostly fps with a few strategy games. I am looking to upgrade everything eventually. First the cpu, ram, and mobo. Out of these I am looking to get-

Core 2 e6600
p5w dh delux
and I'm not sure about what ram ( I know I want ddr2 800)

I am going to keep the 7800gt for now and the hard drives ( eventually I would like to get a couple of raptors/equivalent and throw it in a raid 0 setup). I am looking for suggestions on a case and power supply. Out of the case I want it to be relatively simple. i want good cooling, preferrably full tower, tooless, possibly space for dual psu, easy mobo access, and to around 200 dollars. What do you guys think about the stacker 830?
Out of the power supply I want above 600 w with dual 12v, modular, dual PCIe.....all that good stuff.
What do you guys suggest for maybe ram, case, and psu?
And if I got all new stuff and had a basic system left over (cpu,ram,mobo,case,psu,HDD,LITTLE gpu) how would you guys reccoment selling it?
Also i have another question in regards to ram overclocking-
I currently overclock my 3500+ to 2.5+- a couple mhz using ai booster because of the simpleness, no changes with any voltage(it scares me). I started to read up on overclocking ram and such to get that perfect 1:1 ratio.CPU-Z said my ratio was cpu:14 or something. My bus speed for cpu is about 227(11xmultiplier). my memory is ddr 400 mhz. Went to bios rev. 1014 and my memory was at like 300 mhz it said. I bumped it up eventually to 400 mhz. Without changing my fsb i went back into CPU-Z and it said my ratio was cpu:11. What does this mean? I understand the basics of what the ratio is but I dont understand this. should i set memory back down to 200 mhz because its ddr 400 and set fsb to 200 in ai booster to get it to a 1:1 ratio, then rise the fsb only so it wil change the memory too? Also How does one derive the timings for ram based on the speed. Basicaly take me to school-- mem 101.
Sorry for the dual question but its late and I am going to bed.
I realize this might take a long drawn out answer but would greatly appreciate help in this area, also sugg. for the case and psu.
Thanks in advance for your help.
jhalf

omgitslong

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
First off, I think you should re-edit it so we can read it better, especially the parts, list them vertically

E6600 Core 2 Duo
P5W DH Deluxe

confusing...

jhalf

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
ut of the power supply I want above 600 w with dual 12v, modular, dual PCIe.....all that good stuff.

He said over 600w. That PSU is 550.

Here's a good PSU for someone like you... Enermax Galaxy 660... they also have 850 and 1000 watt versions if you're interested in that.

http://www.enermax.com/english/product_Display1.asp?PrID=37

Am I reading their site right? It says only 14A 18A 16A and 14A on the 12V rails. I've read that it good to have at least 18 on each one for a good gaming rig and for future upgrades...Is that right?

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Yes, you are reading it correctly... now this 18a can come from any combination of rails. It doesn't just have to come from one rail. Now unless I can find out what graphics card(s) he'll be using I can't really recommend a good PSU... now enermax does have a good record as far as that goes. If he's looking for something more powerful then I suposse something from PC P+P would work.. or seasonic or antec.

jhalf

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
I want something powerful enough to give healthy power and to support the system and a good top end dx10 card...Obviously i dont know what kind of power i will need for it.
jhalf