F2 to load defaults

fred

Every time I boot my computer it asks me to press F2 to load defaults.
Anyone Know why it keeps asking me to do this?

Thanks
Fred

Try unplugging your keyboard and plugging it back in.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:B5B9CC3A-B5CE-4F1D-90C3-57DE48BDCE9A@microsoft.com,
Fred <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:53:14 -0800, Fred wrote:

> Every time I boot my computer it asks me to press F2 to load defaults.
> Anyone Know why it keeps asking me to do this?
>
> Thanks
> Fred

Fred, the message is coming from the system board. "Load Defaults" is the
system board using a basic group of settings that works on most setups.
Either something is not setup correctly in the base hardware setup or the
battery that allows the storing of CMOS/BIOS settings from one startup to
the next needs to be replaced.

If you have not made any changes to the system recently, suspect the
battery.

On the other hand, if you've added RAM or replaced a hard drive recently -
fixing this may be as simple as entering the BIOS setup screen and re-doing
the "Auto-Detect" functions. Or perhaps make an adjustment in settings for
any other new hardware. If no luck, then the BIOS setting that is not
acceptable at startup needs to be tracked down and the correct setting
implemented.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

fred

Thanks to all that replyed. Yes it looks like it is the battery, the clock
in the bios will not stay where I set it also.

Thanks Again

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:53:14 -0800, Fred wrote:
>
> > Every time I boot my computer it asks me to press F2 to load defaults.
> > Anyone Know why it keeps asking me to do this?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Fred
>
> Fred, the message is coming from the system board. "Load Defaults" is the
> system board using a basic group of settings that works on most setups.
> Either something is not setup correctly in the base hardware setup or the
> battery that allows the storing of CMOS/BIOS settings from one startup to
> the next needs to be replaced.
>
> If you have not made any changes to the system recently, suspect the
> battery.
>
> On the other hand, if you've added RAM or replaced a hard drive recently -
> fixing this may be as simple as entering the BIOS setup screen and re-doing
> the "Auto-Detect" functions. Or perhaps make an adjustment in settings for
> any other new hardware. If no luck, then the BIOS setting that is not
> acceptable at startup needs to be tracked down and the correct setting
> implemented.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User