Sign in with
Your question

Bad motherboard choice for my E6400? Please help.

Last response: in Overclocking
October 15, 2006 10:51:28 AM

hey guys,

Was looking to press the trigger and upgrade my system.

I ordered a core 2 duo e6400, and a mATX case.

The mATX motherboard I got is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1681...

I didn't notice this until after I ordered, but all the way at the bottom it says, "Note: Duo to SiS 662 chipset specification, SG-95 can only support CPU of FSB 800MHz"

Does that mean I won't be able to use the chip I ordered? It said it supports core 2 duo, so I got tricked... did it mean it only supports core 2 duo meroms that run at a FSB of 667 Mhz?

Thanks for the help.
October 15, 2006 11:44:53 AM

Quote:
hey guys,

Was looking to press the trigger and upgrade my system.

I ordered a core 2 duo e6400, and a mATX case.

The mATX motherboard I got is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1681...

I didn't notice this until after I ordered, but all the way at the bottom it says, "Note: Duo to SiS 662 chipset specification, SG-95 can only support CPU of FSB 800MHz"

Does that mean I won't be able to use the chip I ordered? It said it supports core 2 duo, so I got tricked... did it mean it only supports core 2 duo meroms that run at a FSB of 667 Mhz?

Thanks for the help.

It should work, although running it at the 1066 intended FSB will be classed as an overclock on that motheboard. Seeing as this isn't anything like a major overclock you should be fine.
October 15, 2006 2:01:03 PM

I'm not so that sure it will work. I don't see it listed it the Intel Pentium(?) Core 2 support page.

A 800MHz Core 2 is expected early next year and I think that must be what it's referring too. Perhaps it can underclock existing Core 2's?
Related resources
October 15, 2006 2:06:58 PM

Quote:
I'm not so that sure it will work. I don't see it listed it the Intel Pentium(?) Core 2 support page.

A 800MHz Core 2 is expected early next year and I think that must be what it's referring too. Perhaps it can underclock existing Core 2's?

It could indeed run a Core 2 at an underclocked speed, but i believe that it should run perfectly well at the intended 1066FSB speed. This is basically only a 66mhz overclock on the FSB, and that is nothing at all really. Should give almost no REAL stress to the motherboard.
October 15, 2006 2:42:26 PM

A 33% overclock is nothing? VIA and SIS don't do that well. If it can POST with it at all it will be a feat, and 1.8 GHz will still be quite fast compared to non-Core 2 systems. My 530j ran 4GHz with a 266MHz FSB, but the VRM was the show stopper with Prescott.
October 15, 2006 6:22:36 PM

Thanks for the info guys. So I'm assuming that it should be okay, and the processor will work with the motherboard, however it will be underclocked to a FSB of 800 Mhz.

Follow-up question, will this result in a huge loss of performance?

Trying to figure that out whether I should just bite the bullet and go buy another motherboard. Thanks for everyone's patience with this.
October 15, 2006 6:35:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys. So I'm assuming that it should be okay, and the processor will work with the motherboard, however it will be underclocked to a FSB of 800 Mhz.

Follow-up question, will this result in a huge loss of performance?

Trying to figure that out whether I should just bite the bullet and go buy another motherboard. Thanks for everyone's patience with this.

The performance loss will be quite noticable i should think. My advice is to see if that motherboard will allow you to overclock the FSB to 1066, if it does you're fine. However if it doesn't i would recommend getting a new motherboard that does support 1066FSB. If you want a cheap decent motheboard i'd suggest Asrock, they are brilliant value for money.
October 15, 2006 6:37:59 PM

Quick reply, thanks quantumsheep.

Do you have any suggestions as to a decent performing mATX motherboard that supports the core2duo? I haven't seen many. I don't plan on doing any major overclocking, so that should help my choices I would hope.
October 15, 2006 6:44:43 PM

Quote:

Do you have any suggestions as to a decent performing mATX motherboard that supports the core2duo? I haven't seen many. I don't plan on doing any major overclocking, so that should help my choices I would hope.

I don't live in the US so i'm not used too the newegg search engine but at a quick glance i found this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Seems reasonably priced at $51.99, and has all the features you'd expect. It won't be a very good overclocked however, but you don't mind about that. The only other problem i have, which is just personal, is that i've never had any experience with ECS mainboards, but you shouldn't let that put you off.
October 15, 2006 6:52:13 PM

Looks good, thanks so much for helping a stranger out quantumsheep! :D 
October 15, 2006 6:53:13 PM

Quote:
Looks good, thanks so much for helping a stranger out quantumsheep! :D 

Always willing to help!

I just read your name, i'm guessing you're an Eddings fan then?
October 15, 2006 7:17:50 PM

hehe, more of a fantasy genre fan. but yeah, Eddings was one of the first authors I read when I was young, so the name kind of stuck. :D 
October 15, 2006 8:45:02 PM

Quote:
hehe, more of a fantasy genre fan. but yeah, Eddings was one of the first authors I read when I was young, so the name kind of stuck. :D 

Yeah he was basically the author that got me into the whole fantasy thing. I've recently read "The Redemption of Althalus", i thoroughly recommend it.
October 16, 2006 9:30:00 AM

slowly walk away from a m/b with sis chipset...and the RUN!!!!
seriously return the m/b and get a intel based chipset m/b. The stability will be more solid on an intel based 1. As people suggested there plenty other mAtx budget m/b's to chose from....
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
October 16, 2006 10:35:11 AM

Quote:

Gigabyte GA-945GM-S2 will run your CPU nicely. There's a review on that one at www.sysopt.com/features
!