Windows 7 trial upgrade

karkar

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
I have Vista. I am on disability and cannot afford to purchase the windows 7 operating system. I do not have a business. Can I get a free trial of windows 7 for my persoanl home computer and where do I find such a trial ?

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Micro Soft is in the business to SELL software, the BETA version is no longer down-loadable, and it was set to expire after a period of time...I know of no way other than contacting Micro Soft and telling them your story...

marcellis is right. You're going to have to buy it no matter what. There was at one time a 90 day trial of Windows 7 Enterprise, but I don't think it is available anymore. Your cheapest option is going to be an OEM copy, which is roughly half the price of a retail version.

silverron

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009

Again with you = GO OEM - just wondering, your information say you are 22 years old and been online here since 1970? :sarcastic:

Actually, any copy of Windows 7 can be installed without a license key and it will work for 30 days. You can "refresh" it up to 3 times to get a total of 120 days out of it before it will quit working (it was 120 days with XP, I haven't actually tried it with Win7 and it might only be 90 days).

That's fine for a trial, but you will eventually have to buy a valid copy.

You are correct, however the legality of obtaining the disk (See the label on all the official media stating "Do not make illegal copies of this disk") would be an issue, given that the Windows 7 Enterprise trial is no longer available (if anyone knows otherwise, please feel free to say something).

Edit: For clarification, I meant that the legal issue comes into play when you obtain the disk by copying it from a friend, regardless of whether your friend shares his/her serial with you.

You can get the ISO here: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-7-iso-download-bootable,8946.html

(See links near end of page for ISO). Realize that you will still need a key. HOWEVER, you can use rearm to extend activation up to 120 days.

And anyways, what's wrong with Vista? Use it till you can actually get your hands on a legit Win 7 copy. Also, realize, upgrading is not recommended. Always do a fresh install. And FYI: There are ways to kill the Win 7 activation but I will not tell you where to find them or how.