System back up

After a very unsuccessful attempt at downloading XP service pack 2 I had to
take my computer to Best Buy and have a system restore done. Back to day 1
now. So after the horrible lesson I learned from not backing up and losing
everything I'm trying to learn from my mistakes. I'm trying to back up like
one of the Microsoft updates is telling me to do. I go to Accessories/System
Tools/Back up. Nothing happens. Am I doing this wrong?
6 answers Last reply
More about system back

    "m8knstamps" <m8knstamps@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After a very unsuccessful attempt at downloading XP service pack 2 I
    > had to take my computer to Best Buy and have a system restore done.
    > Back to day 1 now. So after the horrible lesson I learned from not
    > backing up and losing everything I'm trying to learn from my
    > mistakes. I'm trying to back up like one of the Microsoft updates is
    > telling me to do. I go to Accessories/System Tools/Back up. Nothing
    > happens. Am I doing this wrong?

    WinXP Home does not automatically install NTBackup. It can, however, be
    installed from the WinXP CD.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    In news:%23z9NHTm1EHA.4072@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP <franksaunders@mvps.org> typed:

    > "m8knstamps" <m8knstamps@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >> After a very unsuccessful attempt at downloading XP service pack 2 I
    >> had to take my computer to Best Buy and have a system restore done.
    >> Back to day 1 now. So after the horrible lesson I learned from not
    >> backing up and losing everything I'm trying to learn from my
    >> mistakes. I'm trying to back up like one of the Microsoft updates is
    >> telling me to do. I go to Accessories/System Tools/Back up. Nothing
    >> happens. Am I doing this wrong?
    >
    > WinXP Home does not automatically install NTBackup. It can, however,
    > be installed from the WinXP CD.

    I'm *guessing* the OP is using the terms "back-up" and "restore",
    interchangeably. Of course, they are *not* the same thing at all.

    The way I read the post (and I could certainly be wrong) s/he's looking in;

    System Tools>

    For something called >Backup, which is either not there, or not installed.

    When what s/he probably really wants is >System Tools> System Restore.

    And it would make sense that if the computer has recently been returned to
    the way it was on "day 1" ....

    There would be no, "Restore my computer to an earlier date" (backup?)
    available in System Restore ... yet.

    Though "Set a restore point" should be there, and should be implemented.

    Bill

    Actually, what I'm looking for is a what to back my system up on a cd so if I
    kill my computer again I don't lose all my files, pictures, etc.

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:21:06 -0800, m8knstamps wrote:

    > Actually, what I'm looking for is a what to back my system up on a cd so if I
    > kill my computer again I don't lose all my files, pictures, etc.

    You need to assess your backup needs. Then pick a backup product that meets
    those needs.

    Consider: You can have the operating system and programs that can be
    reinstalled but you can't reinstall your data. Consequently, user data is a
    number one priority in any backup plan.

    You can choose to backup data only. You could add downloaded setup files
    for programs, updates and drivers to that. And you might even go so far as
    wanting to backup the entire system now and then. Some folks adopt a
    multi-layered approach. Example: backup data weekly and backup entire
    system once a month.

    Windows XP Pro includes NT Backup in a default setup. Windows XP Home does
    not. It is included on the XP Home CD but must be installed separately.
    Further, if your recovery/restore software for XP was provided by the
    system manufacturer, they may not have included the necessary files to
    install NT Backup.

    There are also many third party solutions available. Quick opinion on just
    a few of those: Acronis True Image is a nice program that can perform data
    and system backups. It has a nice interface for beginners as well. Another
    easy to use program is Backup My PC from Stomp Inc. "Image for Windows"
    from www.terabyteunlimited.com is a bit more difficult to use (not much)
    but is well supported and very reliable. Capable of performing backups and
    of imaging an entire drive. Personally I use Image for Windows and have
    been quite happy with it.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    In addition to Sharon's post, note that the backup application included with
    XP will not backup directly to CD and is quite limited in the devices to
    which it will directly backup. However, you can backup to the hard drive
    and copy the file to CD.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    > Actually, what I'm looking for is a what to back my system up on a cd so
    > if I
    > kill my computer again I don't lose all my files, pictures, etc.
    >
    > "Bill" wrote:
    >
    >> In news:%23z9NHTm1EHA.4072@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    >> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP <franksaunders@mvps.org> typed:
    >>
    >> > "m8knstamps" <m8knstamps@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >> > WinXP Home does not automatically install NTBackup. It can, however,
    >> > be installed from the WinXP CD.
    >>
    >> I'm *guessing* the OP is using the terms "back-up" and "restore",
    >> interchangeably. Of course, they are *not* the same thing at all.
    >>
    >> The way I read the post (and I could certainly be wrong) s/he's looking
    >> in;
    >>
    >> System Tools>
    >>
    >> For something called >Backup, which is either not there, or not
    >> installed.
    >>
    >> When what s/he probably really wants is >System Tools> System Restore.
    >>
    >> And it would make sense that if the computer has recently been returned
    >> the way it was on "day 1" ....
    >>
    >> There would be no, "Restore my computer to an earlier date" (backup?)
    >> available in System Restore ... yet.
    >>
    >> Though "Set a restore point" should be there, and should be implemented.
    >>
    >> Bill

    This product is well worth the cost
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "m8knstamps" <m8knstamps@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Actually, what I'm looking for is a what to back my system up on a cd so
    if I
    | kill my computer again I don't lose all my files, pictures, etc.
    |
    | "Bill" wrote:
    |
    | > In news:%23z9NHTm1EHA.4072@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    | > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP <franksaunders@mvps.org> typed:
    | >
    | > > "m8knstamps" <m8knstamps@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    | > > WinXP Home does not automatically install NTBackup. It can, however,
    | > > be installed from the WinXP CD.
    | >
    | > I'm *guessing* the OP is using the terms "back-up" and "restore",
    | > interchangeably. Of course, they are *not* the same thing at all.
    | >
    | > The way I read the post (and I could certainly be wrong) s/he's looking
    in;

    | > System Tools>
    | >
    | > For something called >Backup, which is either not there, or not
    installed.

    | > When what s/he probably really wants is >System Tools> System Restore.
    | >
    | > And it would make sense that if the computer has recently been returned
    | > the way it was on "day 1" ....
    | >
    | > There would be no, "Restore my computer to an earlier date" (backup?)
    | > available in System Restore ... yet.
    | >
    | > Though "Set a restore point" should be there, and should be implemented.
    | >
    | > Bill

Microsoft System Restore Windows XP